Power Cables and Distribution - SoundFoundations

Great stuff, Magma!

1. Do the boxes come with wall to box cables or are they to be bought separately?
2. Is that a wall plate in pic 5, just above the cables? Do they come with boxes?

1. Ask the client to change his mains cabling from meter to wall ( where the hifi is )
i advice to use an OFC flexible armoured and shileded Power cable
all these properties are really tough to find and i dont know of any indian manufacturer that makes a cable having all this
Hence i suggest the use of Lapp ( germany ) - this is yet another cable - a bit cheaper than what i use in the barracuda

Just checked the Lapp website but could not figure out which cable you have in mind. Please elaborate.

no the cables are to be bought seperately
i have PMed you the prices of both variants

That infact IS a wall plate but as you can see
US only

they dont come with a box
you have to use the generic ones you get in the market

i suggest you just get a 16Amp L&T installed
or a Panel mount Bals if you can

rgds
ALi

The boxes look great, Magma!

Also, for the 6 socket UK/Indian plug model, you might need to reverse the orientation of the sockets on the top row, to allow for plugs to be plugged into them without crowding the plugs below.

Hey anup

i found a practical issue with the above advice
(well it may afect some and not affect others depending on how you plan to place the box)
One of my customers brought it to my notice

he wants to place the box horizontally under his rack

Now if
we invert 3 sockets
he has cables coming out from both sides of the box

this looks odd casue the cables coming off from the front side have to cross over to the rear anyway to go up into the components of his rack

whereas i all sockets are facing one direction
all cables exit from only one side without having to bend over

Obviously as i said earlier
this depends about how you plan to "place" your box

then too
the advice is still super and will still be required if the customer has MORE than 3 very large plug points

Ali, I think your customer does have a point there. Those sockets are quite large, and I guess there's enough gap between two sockets (that have been stacked) for the wires to pass comfortably. It would also make for much neater cable dressing when the wires all move from one side of the box. It is indeed better to have the sockets oriented in the same direction.

If it's not too much trouble, please make my box with the sockets aligned in the same direction, like in the picture you had posted earlier.

Just my two cents. I have always looked for a distribution box with the sockets aligned in opposite directions as suggested, because several "appliances" - like hard drives etc - have power chords with adapters and it would be impossible to use two rows of sockets aligned in the same direction in this case. I would have to revert back to one single row of widely-spaced sockets.
However, I can see the point for others.

staxx

it actaully depends on the plugs you are gonna use

Guys with Adapters are rarely gonna waste a premium socket for an adapter driven device
You may well be served with an MX extenison box for that

Also if you note
American and Schuko plugs - plug in vertically as compared to UK and indian plugs that plug in horizontally

Hence these plugs do not take up space

so if a person has even two of such plugs in a system he is set

Lets
what i will try to do is post a picture wherein a 3 pin plug is in all the sockets
lets see how much space we have

Hi ali

Does the above box have universal plugs? If yes, what make?

it does have universal plugs
though if you note carefully
its not the international plug socket that you see on the Belkin, supra or modular switches

the design is differnt
it makes sure that the flat pinned US plug and the thin pinned Euro fit real tight

which is not the case in any other international sockets

Also the use of copper contacts is unique

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back