Power Cables and Distribution - SoundFoundations

Magma and others,

You people might be interested in MS HD Power --- or, probably you know about it already. If not, take a look!

I had a look at the British distributor ( prices I can understand). Could not decide whether it was, according to me, overprice or not. High prices, but maybe not stupid.

For myself, I'll stick to the simple ---and I'm a great believer in acoustically-ignorant plastic. Just passing this on in case of use.

Have to admit... your boxes look great. Nicely crafted indeed.

Magma and others,

You people might be interested in MS HD Power --- or, probably you know about it already. If not, take a look!

I had a look at the British distributor ( prices I can understand). Could not decide whether it was, according to me, overprice or not. High prices, but maybe not stupid.

For myself, I'll stick to the simple ---and I'm a great believer in acoustically-ignorant plastic. Just passing this on in case of use.

Have to admit... your boxes look great. Nicely crafted indeed.

i dont see any differnce from the connectors i have used in the Barracuda
mine are cryo with 24k real gold plated
Red copper OFC base

in fact i dont think theirs are cryoed

The boxes look great, Magma!

The ones with the US plugs look the best, because of the frameless look of the sockets.

Also, for the 6 socket UK/Indian plug model, you might need to reverse the orientation of the sockets on the top row, to allow for plugs to be plugged into them without crowding the plugs below.

Does the UK/Indian plug model come with black sockets?

Do mention pricing :)

The boxes look great, Magma!

The ones with the US plugs look the best, because of the frameless look of the sockets.

Also, for the 6 socket UK/Indian plug model, you might need to reverse the orientation of the sockets on the top row, to allow for plugs to be plugged into them without crowding the plugs below.

Does the UK/Indian plug model come with black sockets?

Do mention pricing :)

what a brilliant idea
i will be sure to do this when the next batch will be done next week

they dont really come in black
only a charcoal grey

see on the far side there is a box with 4 sockets
that the color they come in

P.S
ranjeee

did you say from meter to BOX

that means you are planning new cabling
will you be doing civil work as well in your house too then ?

please use at least a 16Amp plug point for the box in that case
If you can get your hands on L&T that would be brilliant
otherwise ABB would be a close second

then would be crabtree and northwest

However if you are really gonna to civil work nothing better than this
from Bahl
EUROPEAN CEE7 (EU1-16R) SCHUKO 16 AMPERE-250 VOLT WATERTIGHT (IP68) OUTLET, SOCKET, RECEPTACLE, PANEL OR BOX MOUNT, 2 POLE-3 WIRE GROUNDING. BLUE/BLACK. DIN STANDARD 49442/49443. USE BOXES # 70325,70325A.

Yes Ali, I did mean from the meter to the box. Some civil work will be needed to conceal the cables etc and fix everything in a neat manner. But that is not a priority. For the time being I just need safety for the equipment and good sound as the topping.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look at the stuff you mentioned. Should be worth the investment. If you already know where I can find them please do send me a note.

Glad to know the progress on the boxes. Please do send me the costing.

Edit: I am having a change of mind after seeing the pics :) I think I would just like to use this to finally connect the equipment, rather than use it to bring the power from the meter and use this as source for isolation transformer. Now I guess I would prefer to use it between the isolation transformer and the equipment. Great looks. Thumbs up!

Last edited:
Yes Ali, I did mean from the meter to the box. Some civil work will be needed to conceal the cables etc and fix everything in a neat manner. But that is not a priority. For the time being I just need safety for the equipment and good sound as the topping.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look at the stuff you mentioned. Should be worth the investment. If you already know where I can find them please do send me a note.

Glad to know the progress on the boxes. Please do send me the costing.

Edit: I am having a change of mind after seeing the pics :) I think I would just like to use this to finally connect the equipment, rather than use it to bring the power from the meter and use this as source for isolation transformer. Now I guess I would prefer to use it between the isolation transformer and the equipment. Great looks. Thumbs up!

At the risk of loosing a customer ( which in any case im not here for - primarily )

let me reiterate

changing your cabling directly from your meter box and into the wallwart and then using a mains connector like something from Bals ( Germany ) in your wallwart

will reap far greater benefits than using conditioners,distributin kits, RFI filters etc etc

Build the best BASE

then take it form there

Personally i do the following at many installs

1. Ask the client to change his mains cabling from meter to wall ( where the hifi is )
i advice to use an OFC flexible armoured and shileded Power cable
all these properties are really tough to find and i dont know of any indian manufacturer that makes a cable having all this
Hence i suggest the use of Lapp ( germany ) - this is yet another cable - a bit cheaper than what i use in the barracuda

2 ask the client to instal just a Single high Amp and voltage rated plug socket
Something the the Bahl
or a 16Amp L&T on the wall

then have a mains cable like the Pelican or Barracuda
heading from that main wallwart
to a distribution box with a RFI filter

You are now set

Have the least number of switches in the chain
Maybe one at the wall
and one on the Box
but thats about it

NO conditioner No transformer nothing
However this holds true only for mumbai - since we dont really see power failures and drops here
i really cant say about other cities without expereince

Alternatively you can actaully work backwards too
if thats what youre getting at
the distribtuion box first
then the 16-20 Amp Wall wart
and then the Mains cabling

However
once again
at the risk of losing customers

Correct Mains cabling and wall sockets gives the most benefits

Sidvee : you barracuda has been shipped
Sameer : yours has been shipped as well
black is back : your has been shipped as well - however your customisation is pending
Hydra : Your Barracuda Box customization will start on monday

Shivam : your customization is pending some brainwave

Ragahav
Ranjee
Manniraj
ironhorse
Nature Lover

you have been Pmed

At the risk of loosing a customer ( which in any case im not here for - primarily )

let me reiterate

changing your cabling directly from your meter box and into the wallwart and then using a mains connector like something from Bals ( Germany ) in your wallwart

will reap far greater benefits than using conditioners,distributin kits, RFI filters etc etc

Build the best BASE

then take it form there

1. Ask the client to change his mains cabling from meter to wall ( where the hifi is )
all these properties are really tough to find and i dont know of any indian manufacturer that makes a cable having all this
Hence i suggest the use of Lapp ( germany ) - this is yet another cable - a bit cheaper than what i use in the barracuda

Something the the Bahl

You are now set

Maybe one at the wall
and one on the Box
but thats about it

However this holds true only for mumbai - since we dont really see power failures and drops here

However
once again

Why are you recommending cabling going directly into wall warts? In fact, I'm not sure how wall warts fit in the scheme of things. :confused::confused::confused:

Why are you recommending cabling going directly into wall warts? In fact, I'm not sure how wall warts fit in the scheme of things. :confused::confused::confused:

ummm you want the cable to come out of your wall and go directly into the box
thats not only gonna look odd

but also will peel of plater over time

also no master switch

not very wise

also no master switch

not very wise

Oh, are you calling the wall mounted switch plates and switches & plugs on the plates, wall warts?

also no master switch

not very wise

That does clear up things. You were referring to the sockets on wall!

I used to consider wallwarts as cheap power adapters that got plugged into the wall sockets and looked like 'wart' on the surface of a clean wall. (Think of a mobile phone adapter sticking out of a socket on a wall).

Sidvee : you barracuda has been shipped
Sameer : yours has been shipped as well
black is back : your has been shipped as well - however your customisation is pending
Hydra : Your Barracuda Box customization will start on monday

Shivam : your customization is pending some brainwave

Ragahav
Ranjee
Manniraj
ironhorse
Nature Lover

you have been Pmed

Waiting for the brainwaves. :)

let me reiterate

Build the best BASE

then take it form there

Something the the Bahl

You are now set

Maybe one at the wall
and one on the Box
but thats about it

However
once again

My original plan was to change the cable from meter to the Hifi room to Finolex 12 AWG. A Finolex dealer, who supplies to industrial users agreed to do the cables as per my need (armouring and sheathing). This cable would terminate at my music room at a master switch. My original plan was to use your DB here due to it's EMI/FRI rejection feature and high quality contacts. But since your DB looks rather good my second thought is to replace my current bunch of extension boards with it which are all bought abroad and feature quite high quality contacts, much better than likes of Crabtree. I'll send you my exact need after deciding on exact direction to go.

<snip>I used to consider wallwarts as cheap power adapters that got plugged into the wall sockets and looked like 'wart' on the surface of a clean wall. (Think of a mobile phone adapter sticking out of a socket on a wall).
You are right. Those ARE what are referred to as wall warts.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back