Power cables

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
But I read the EU is THE BEST because the earth contacts first before the live & neutral..

See your Indian or American 3-pin tops more closely --- the ground pin is longer than live and neutral.

The correct insertion is to let ground pin go into its hole first to make first contact before the live and neutral pins can make contact, assuming the socket is already live. It's of course better to insert by switching off the socket.

See your Indian or American 3-pin tops more closely --- the ground pin is longer than live and neutral.

The correct insertion is to let ground pin go into its hole first to make first contact before the live and neutral pins can make contact, assuming the socket is already live. It's of course better to insert by switching off the socket.
I see.

I too prefer the UK, it seem to latch better compared to others. But I read the EU is THE BEST because the earth contacts first before the live & neutral so if redoing everything, then this is one point to consider.
One needs to use the EU sockets/receptacle as well.

Most of the time,U.S. houses do not have switches.They insert powercords directly into AC sockets.

I have always advised wherever I could that before trying anything else for power cable, please try to do an DIY by running three very thick wires for +, - and earth. Now, how thick? The thickest that you can work with.

In my setup, though I have not counted precisely, I am using such a thick wire that has appx 10 strands of 14 AWG solid copper and as you can imagine it is hard to use a connector with this. so, what I have done is that I spliced appx 6 inch of wire and using just one of the 10 strands for connectors and have cut rest 9 strands. Length of each wire is 6 feet. So, this was about what I did and would not recommend anyone planning to try this going with such a thick one in the beginning and instead take the thickest one in the market that you can comfortable to work with but take a longer length, say 10 ft. Or simply try one with 12 awg of solid core copper.

WARNING: This advice is for those who think they sufficiently familiar working with electrical. A strict NO for someone who hasn't assembles an electric plug in life so far.

I have always advised wherever I could that before trying anything else for power cable, please try to do an DIY by running three very thick wires for +, - and earth. Now, how thick? The thickest that you can work with.

In my setup, though I have not counted precisely, I am using such a thick wire that has appx 10 strands of 14 AWG solid copper and as you can imagine it is hard to use a connector with this. so, what I have done is that I spliced appx 6 inch of wire and using just one of the 10 strands for connectors and have cut rest 9 strands. Length of each wire is 6 feet. So, this was about what I did and would not recommend anyone planning to try this going with such a thick one in the beginning and instead take the thickest one in the market that you can comfortable to work with but take a longer length, say 10 ft. Or simply try one with 12 awg of solid core copper.

WARNING: This advice is for those who think they sufficiently familiar working with electrical. A strict NO for someone who hasn't assembles an electric plug in life so far.
For most audio applications, 12AWG copper is sufficient.
There may be some very high power amps + speaker combos that would require at max 10AWG.
At mains frequency 50/60 Hz or at audio frequencies (20-20KHz) even multi-strand will work.
Single core is simply overkill and is very expensive and not pliable above say 24AWG.
Copper can carry loads of current. Don't worry too much.

If a cable company can produce power or speaker cables with these specs, and very importantly good termination they'll work.
Set a budget to spend on and go for it. Remember, expensive does not always mean good
Cheers,
Raghu

Has anyone replaced the power chord on their Marantz Denon Pioneer yamaha etc AVR? My Marantz only has a 2 pin female.

Has anyone replaced the power chord on their Marantz Denon Pioneer yamaha etc AVR? My Marantz only has a 2 pin female.
Many mass market audio devices have only "live/hot" and "neutral". The third connection "ground" pin is not provided.
If your concern is "will 3-pin after market cables work on a 2-pin system?" then read on. Else ignore.

In after market cables, and if they are 3 pin, the direct ground connection is not active. It will still fit the 2 pin male on the equipment side.
Is this a problem? Not really.

Neutral is grounded or earthed at the distribution box. It provides a return path for current flowing through live/hot wire.
The provision for ground pin/connection is desirable when the equipment is connected directly to the wall to prevent electrical shock.
The ground connection is desired because it provides a "short" path (pun intended) to earth/ground rather than via neutral at distribution box.
In the event of a fault, and you touch the equipment, you don't become the "short" path, if the ground connection is wired.
As I have said earlier, if one uses a spike guard or extension box, these are usually 3-pin active, thus preventing accidents to due electrical fault.

Edit: Yes I have tried my power amp (3 connector cable) on IA and AVR (both Marantz devices). No issues.
Cheers,
Raghu

Raghu, thanks my concern is not the ground issue. My concern is getting the right cable to fit.

My Marantz avr and my Marantz CD player both have the 2 pin female. I'm attaching a pic. Thanks. Just need to select the correct power cord. Looking at the pangea on Amazon. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG-20190220-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190220-WA0003.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 30
Raghu, thanks my concern is not the ground issue. My concern is getting the right cable to fit.

My Marantz avr and my Marantz CD player both have the 2 pin female. I'm attaching a pic. Thanks. Just need to select the correct power cord. Looking at the pangea on Amazon. Thanks again.
Derek, Please check with FM @lalit09 , I think he has changed power cable for his Marantz AVR..

Last edited by a moderator:
2 pin has advantage as even 3 pin cord can be fit in it. Earthing will not be used though.Tried 0.5 ,0.75 and 1sq mm power cords (some got locally), there is certainly change in sound. 0.5 sq mm is not recommended though but used for just testing and not long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saw the pangea cables on amazon.com
The UE end is moulded the same way as it is for 2-connector cable.

This replacement cable (or similar) will work/fit:

This cable will not work/fit:

Cheers,
Raghu

Saw the pangea cables on amazon.com
The UE end is moulded the same way as it is for 2-connector cable.

This replacement cable (or similar) will work/fit:

This cable will not work/fit:

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks, this is what I plan to order. The AC 14SE. Will there be any issues with grounding?

Back