Power conditioner vs servo stabilizer

Thanks @blackscorpio . The last line is my main concern. Any scientific reason for why they do not recommend? What if their concern of not connecting any power stabiliser is genuine one ?

I recently bought vertex 1 KVA servo stabilizer. If anyone has this same equipment, please help me with the below:

1. The load is always showing 000%. I have connected my amplifier (70W), DAC and Chromecast audio to this.
2. What is "REG" in the setting? The value is set to 006.
3. Occasionally I get some sound from the unit (like a small thud/thum). Is that normal?

1. The load is always showing 000%. I have connected my amplifier (70W), DAC and Chromecast audio to this.The combined draw is probably too small to show up.
The combined draw is probably too small to show up. Connect something with a larger draw and see if the display registers the larger load. You could also check with Vertex. They usually are quite responsive.

1. Electronic Voltage Stabilizers - Manages voltage within a given range. Does not filter line noise. Handles voltage surges well, not current spikes. Not suitable for audio products because of microprocessor controlled switching circuit. Output sine waveform is same as input.

2. Constant Voltage Transformers (CVT) - Maintains a fixed output voltage (generally 230v). Does not filter line noise. Handles voltage surges but not as good as Electronic stabilizers. Does not handle current surge. Ok for audio applications. noisy. Output sine waveform is same as input.

3. Servo Stabilizers - Maintains a fixed output voltage using a servo motor. Audio products are sensitive to quick voltage correction as much as voltage fluctuations. Servo is continuous (read analogue) voltage correction mechanism. Does not filter line noise. Does not handle surges well (both voltage and current). Sometimes a small EMI filter is fitted to clean line noise (vertex does that when specified) which does a limited job. Sometimes used in series with a voltage isolator which provides fantastic surge protection and line noise filtering. Most suitable for audio applications. Both servo stabilizer and isolator are big bulky boxes and quite noisy. Output sine waveform is same as input or better with isolator (not sure).

4. Offline and Line Interactive UPS - Handles voltage stabilization and surges well. Provides backup till apt gensets kick in. NEVER use for audio applications. Output is stepped sine wave (may damage audio circuitry), limited dynamic range and switching to battery power is not seamless which introduces brown outs.

5. Double Conversion Online UPS - Provides constant voltage, fantastic handling of surges. dynamic range maybe limited so buy a higher power one (with at least 1.5x headroom - there is a formula to calculate it). Converts AC to DC and back to AC (hence double conversion). Pure sine wave, free of line noise. Provides backup too. Most suitable for audio applications but bulky, expensive, produces heat and has an internal fan which gets noisy over time. India made online UPS are compatible with gensets.

6. Power conditioners and re-generators - All the advantages of online UPS (minus backup). Very expensive, silent, great dynamic range and can be put into audio racks. Best for audio applications. Test with your equipment chain before you buy. Low cost ones may greatly inhibit dynamic range.

Go through this mammoth thread. You get most of your answers here. https://www.hifivision.com/threads/power-games-servo-stabilizer-cvt-or-online-ups.15235/

Last edited:
1. Electronic Voltage Stabilizers - Manages voltage within a given range. Does not filter line noise. Handles voltage surges well, not current spikes. Not suitable for audio products because of microprocessor controlled switching circuit. Output sine waveform is same as input.

2. Constant Voltage Transformers (CVT) - Maintains a fixed output voltage (generally 230v). Does not filter line noise. Handles voltage surges but not as good as Electronic stabilizers. Does not handle current surge. Ok for audio applications. noisy. Output sine waveform is same as input.

3. Servo Stabilizers - Maintains a fixed output voltage using a servo motor. Audio products are sensitive to quick voltage correction as much as voltage fluctuations. Servo is continuous (read analogue) voltage correction mechanism. Does not filter line noise. Does not handle surges well (both voltage and current). Sometimes a small EMI filter is fitted to clean line noise (vertex does that when specified) which does a limited job. Sometimes used in series with a voltage isolator which provides fantastic surge protection and line noise filtering. Most suitable for audio applications. Both servo stabilizer and isolator are big bulky boxes and quite noisy. Output sine waveform is same as input or better with isolator (not sure).

4. Offline and Line Interactive UPS - Handles voltage stabilization and surges well. Provides backup till apt gensets kick in. NEVER use for audio applications. Output is stepped sine wave (may damage audio circuitry), limited dynamic range and switching to battery power is not seamless which introduces brown outs.

5. Double Conversion Online UPS - Provides constant voltage, fantastic handling of surges. dynamic range maybe limited so buy a higher power one (with at least 1.5x headroom - there is a formula to calculate it). Converts AC to DC and back to AC (hence double conversion). Pure sine wave, free of line noise. Provides backup too. Most suitable for audio applications but bulky, expensive, produces heat and has an internal fan which gets noisy over time. India made online UPS are compatible with gensets.

6. Power conditioners and re-generators - All the advantages of online UPS (minus backup). Very expensive, silent, great dynamic range and can be put into audio racks. Best for audio applications. Test with your equipment chain before you buy. Low cost ones may greatly inhibit dynamic range.

Go through this mammoth thread. You get most of your answers here. https://www.hifivision.com/threads/power-games-servo-stabilizer-cvt-or-online-ups.15235/
Nicely summarized. One addition, Static Stabilizer = AC/DC Converter + Power Conditioner (generally available for industrial applications).

Very well explained sir. I was also doubtful how to give proper power to my system.
I bought a power Conditioner first but find the voltage fluctuation is not rectified. Then a technician advised me to go for a servo stabilizer.
I ordered a servo(Supra 10kv) 2 day's back. Instead of going for only audio thought of buying one for entire house. The price difference was not too much between 3kv and 10kv.
Waiting for the delivery now....

domestic connections are 3 phase hence was confused, so how did you manage to run the entire house wiring of 3 phase into single phase 10kva ?
Here in Kerala domestic connections are mostly single phase. Upon special request will get 3phase connection.

Domestic connections are mostly single phase.
In a 3 phase supply, the loads across the phases must be perfectly balanced. More the imbalance, more the voltage. I think it is impossible to have close to zero N-E in a 3 phase supply.

Generally, distribution networks are operated in an unbalanced configuration and also service to consumers. This fact causes current flowing through neutral conductor and voltage dropping on neutral wire. The unbalance load and excessive current in neutral wire is one of the issues in threephase four-wire distribution systems that causes voltage drop through neutral wire and makes tribulations for costumers. The existence of NEV makes unbalance in three phase voltages for three phase customers and reduction of phase to neutral voltage for single phase customers. Thus, its evaluation and reduction have many interests for operators.

If it was not of such concern to me, I would be laughing at this:
My APC double conversion UPS stopped working suddenly. I am informed that this was due to a power surge!

the main advantage of 3-phase supply is distribution of load and also changeover in case of failure in any of the phases.
Similarly some utilities like lifts need 3 phases to function.

One of the interesting things I learnt from this thread of the even distribution of load across phases. I put a 3kVA inverter to one phase to mainly cater to my HT room however, I had to put it outside the house so used one phase for the same. I did the same with another 2KVA online UPS for a second phase. This has resulted in a tripping of the third phase as there is an imbalance of loads across phase and I will need to now correct the same.

Just adding my requirement as its totally related.
Mine is a 3 phase supply. Am really confused.

I dont want an online UPS owing to noise issues. Planning to go servo/static way but confused as to how to protect whole home with individual stabilizers and this one for Audio

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...urge-handling-3-phase-supply-split-etc.89675/
Mainline static stabilizer at the distribution board, for each individual phase. Look for one with a delayed start, if planning to use with AC and refrigerator.

Very well explained sir. I was also doubtful how to give proper power to my system.
I bought a power Conditioner first but find the voltage fluctuation is not rectified. Then a technician advised me to go for a servo stabilizer.
I ordered a servo(Supra 10kv) 2 day's back. Instead of going for only audio thought of buying one for entire house. The price difference was not too much between 3kv and 10kv.
Waiting for the delivery now....
@john mathew how is your 10kv functioning now? Did it solve the voltage fluctuations?

Please also share the cost for this 10kv unit you purchased

@john mathew how is your 10kv functioning now? Did it solve the voltage fluctuations?

Please also share the cost for this 10kv unit you purchased
Yes. Voltage fluctuation issue is solved.
It is set to 230 volt and always getting 228-232 range.(plus or minus 2 is normal)
Price was 23600/- that time. It might be increased now.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back