Power Conditioners - suggestions

Krishnan

Just wanted to have some knowledge and advise on the power conditioner options...I currently have a Vertex Servo stabiliser with EMI/ RFI filters built in for the initial phase planning to invest in a good power conditioner / re-generator. Request the group to throw some options. Thanks.

Check SurgeX SA-152 for surge protection ...... you can also check the power conditioner from Invention Audio

Invention audio is Hyd based. SurgeX check the data sheet online and ull also get the distributor, basically its imported from US

Isotek is a good one. The you have Rontek, Invention Audio and few others

what’s your budget?

I would strongly recommend the Invention audio conditioner version 2. A lot of my friends have been using this, and are full of high praise. So worth a shot.

Any ideas on the pricing for Invention audio conditioners? Nothing mentioned on their website

guys don't mean to derail the conversation.. just wanted to know that i am using an online ups which powers my entire system and has rf/emi filters in it. does one still need power conditioners ?

guys don't mean to derail the conversation.. just wanted to know that i am using an online ups which powers my entire system and has rf/emi filters in it. does one still need power conditioners ?
I doubt a power conditioner will add anything as long as the online UPS is dedicated to the music system and there are no noise components plugged into it

You are actually good to go :)

But if you want to go down the rabbit hole, then here is the theory :)

Every metal attracts and absorbs RF & EMI, even aluminium to an extent. So even if you have very clean power coming off the online ups, the cables if unsheilded will pick it up on the way. So a power conditioner plugged into the online ups, with multiple outlets will again purify what's been picked up on the way. And if you use shielded mains power cables from the conditioner, then this will keep EMI and RF from creeping in again. But this is OCD talking, even with all these expensive remedies in place, the EMI & RF will still creep into the signal cables like RCA etc, and will still enter the chain to some extent.

I am no expert but as per online reviews and discussion, online UPS provides the best solution but is the most expensive of all the options.

Thanks. Any views on the PS Audio Power Plant? I think it is a power repertor?
I use a PSaudio power regenrator. But can't comment if it makes a difference or not. My devialet amp once blew in a power surge. I got so paranoid, that I added a CVT + isolation transformer for protection. But that CVT buzzed like a bee. So removed both and added the power plant. Been running off my entire chain off it for many years now. But never tried direct connection to the wall again, so can't comment if it is making a difference or not. But one thing I noticed is that every power cable sounds the same now. I've tried some ultra expensive ones too, but couldn't hear a difference between them and my modest to cheap ones. But Iam never removing it either :D

Mine comes with a solid metal cover to seal the whole unit and a fan at the back for cooling. And the fan was audible at high loads, as there are lot of power hungry amps in the chain. So I removed the top cover, fabricated my own clear perspex cover with 3 huge ventilation holes, and disconnected the cooling fan completely. Now runs a charm and completely silent in operation. One can probably go for any material for the cover, but since it was my first try, I tried perspex with the idea that if the 3 massive transformers were getting red hot, I would switch it off, before a fire broke out :D

Yes, power conditioner does much more benefits than/over what ups does. Each device connected to the same socket strip spills electrical noise on the other devices connected to the same set of sockets wired in Series or Parallel. Conditioner removes the interference and cleans the signal. Some have large connectors, Capacitors and Transformers that aid in better instantaneous delivery of Power. In short it improves the SNR of your Power Supply.

On Audible Side it Translates into Less Screechy Highs, Reduced bass boom/bass bleeding into midrange and thereby a cleaner midrange. Also instrumental separation improves a bit better in my experience with power conditioners. These are the attributes I look for, when comparing power conditioners.
As usual YMMV.

My budget is around a lac. Thanks.
As you have a good budget, I suggest you to check Audioquest Niagara 1200 or above series power conditioners; key technical difference between AQ/SurgeX and few other conditioners is that the former are based on non-sacrificial surge protection unlike few based on MOVs which slowly fail and hence one may not be really sure of the protection achieved. You can check AQ or SurgeX websites for additional technical documentation.
I have been using AQ Niagara 1200 past few months and pretty happy with it!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back