pre-amplifier for my system

Have a look at the 1995 Stereophile review of my little classic (bought from a fellow HFVer) TLC-1. Whilst the model is not going to be relevant, J. Atkinson's comments on pre-amps in general might be interesting.

I didn't know anything about them before I got this one. I never had the need for anything other than integrated. I could not even understand why I bought it, except something said I had to when I saw the for-sale thread!

dheerajin, have you tried the Pass B1? FM omishra mentioned it as well.
It's a brilliant design that seems to bring out the best in a lot of systems. Not all but most.
Since you are in Pune you should be able to get a loaner from someone.

Highly recommended.

dheerajin, have you tried the Pass B1? FM omishra mentioned it as well.
It's a brilliant design that seems to bring out the best in a lot of systems. Not all but most.
Since you are in Pune you should be able to get a loaner from someone.

Highly recommended.

Today first time heard about pass B1 as hydra has mentioned. I need to search in the forum about B1, then only i can understand what it is. Anyway thanks for recommending Pass B1...but what do you think about IFI Itube..preamp..
I think it will go very good with my synchrony tweeter..

Pre must have buffer (with gain or without gain) which could drive power amp. Pure passive may not be doing justice hence there is B1.
IFI Itube is good choice if you prefer tube sound.

passive if you are talking about Pass B1.
Anyway your purchase is your choice. But I wish to know what I am missing.

Dear Mishrajee,

Please guide me in the direction of PASS B1..means pinpoint somewhere in the forum where I can get the essence of PASS B1...Thanks

https://www.passdiy.com/pdf/B1 Buffer Preamp.pdf
In Pune at least 4-5 pass b1 are there. You can have listen it. Better time to get comparison for suitable preamp which matches your need and budget.

Oh my god...jise dhoonda gali gali..wo ghar ke pichhwade mili:rolleyes:.
Mishrajee thanks...the situation is ..right now I am in Belgium..so thought of buying something from europe...and again i am finding such things in my town..
Please tell me where I can buy Pass B1 and what is the price...

Assuming you have a digital source, you can consider using a DAC with a volume control.

I was using an entry level Audio-GD DAC and it is one of those products that punches way above its weight class. (I think) it operates in Class A mode so you get the same level of detail and warmth, and also has a unique "no feedback" implementation that works differently from most other DACs. The volume control is fairly high quality too. Unlike many other DACs, Audio GD also uses multiple DAC chips - implementation details you find in mega buck DACs.

The interesting thing is that if you only have digital sources, you can use even their entry level model as a preamp and DAC. If you have digital and analog sources, they also have models that accept analog and digital inputs. You can probably read more about their reviews online, and I think a few forum members also have this DAC (but only a very few).

Assuming you have a digital source, you can consider using a DAC with a volume control.

I was using an entry level Audio-GD DAC and it is one of those products that punches way above its weight class. (I think) it operates in Class A mode so you get the same level of detail and warmth, and also has a unique "no feedback" implementation that works differently from most other DACs. The volume control is fairly high quality too. Unlike many other DACs, Audio GD also uses multiple DAC chips - implementation details you find in mega buck DACs.

The interesting thing is that if you only have digital sources, you can use even their entry level model as a preamp and DAC. If you have digital and analog sources, they also have models that accept analog and digital inputs. You can probably read more about their reviews online, and I think a few forum members also have this DAC (but only a very few).

I already have a DAC..which is good one you can see my signature...i would like to add one more component..do not want to replace a unit in whole..since
there are lot of options for preamp, so sticking to pre amp only no combo.....and as per other FM 's recommendation when better ones are available in India and in very much in budget..any way Audio-Gd has great reputation for equipments...thanks for suggestion..

Sorry, I didn't notice your signature so made some wrong assumptions :eek:

That's a pretty fine setup you have there. My other two cents would be - since you already have such a good setup, you might want to focus on the part that most of us neglect - the room. You can tackle this at various levels - room treatment, using software to do equalization, using a dedicated equalizer in your chain, using more sophisticated devices to do dynamic eq (AVR guys get to use things like Audyssey).

Just something worth thinking about. You might get more improvements in the quality of sound than from upgrading your preamp - but I am just guessing. At the very least, it is much cheaper than a mid-level or high-end preamp.

Sorry, I didn't notice your signature so made some wrong assumptions :eek:

That's a pretty fine setup you have there. My other two cents would be - since you already have such a good setup, you might want to focus on the part that most of us neglect - the room. You can tackle this at various levels - room treatment, using software to do equalization, using a dedicated equalizer in your chain, using more sophisticated devices to do dynamic eq (AVR guys get to use things like Audyssey).

Just something worth thinking about. You might get more improvements in the quality of sound than from upgrading your preamp - but I am just guessing. At the very least, it is much cheaper than a mid-level or high-end preamp.

yes i agree with the subject "Room"...but my purpose is different now...adding a good room(treatment) is altogether different level for that I need to loot a bank:)...means would be getting a house with big listening room..and currently my listening room is living room for that I cant do anything...so whatever boundaries i have ..i need to graze inside that ...since other members have realized the potential of changing pre amps like Pass B1 ..which is cheapest and best option available..so would like to go for it..
anyways what you have suggested is true to fact...

yes i agree with the subject "Room"...but my purpose is different now...adding a good room(treatment) is altogether different level for that I need to loot a bank:)...means would be getting a house with big listening room..and currently my listening room is living room for that I cant do anything...so whatever boundaries i have ..i need to graze inside that ...since other members have realized the potential of changing pre amps like Pass B1 ..which is cheapest and best option available..so would like to go for it..
anyways what you have suggested is true to fact...

For sure, the ultimate audiophile upgrade would be to get a new house :lol: :eek:hyeah:

Today first time heard about pass B1 as hydra has mentioned. I need to search in the forum about B1, then only i can understand what it is. Anyway thanks for recommending Pass B1...but what do you think about IFI Itube..preamp..
I think it will go very good with my synchrony tweeter..

You've already got the link so will only add my 0.02 ...

The biggest challenge is impedance matching a pre to an existing amp. This is what makes or breaks a system. The Pass B1 buffer does just that and that's the genius of the design. Others more knowledgeable can add more of course.

Have never heard the IFI Itube preamp so can't help you there.

Hi Dheerajin

NAD and PSB is a very good combo. Try changing the Supra speaker cable and the Van Den Hul ic. If am not mistaken Supra speaker cable will be tin plated over copper. This brings a certain glare to the sound. In your case it works because VDH ic will compress the signal slightly and make it sweet. Suggest you try the Mogami cables with Neutrik connectors. Alternatively any good 14 gauge pure copper cable will work fine.

Pass B1 will give you a more resolving, transparent, extended sound. A tube pre will give you a lusher, warmer, more organic sound.

Hi Dheerajin

NAD and PSB is a very good combo. Try changing the Supra speaker cable and the Van Den Hul ic. If am not mistaken Supra speaker cable will be tin plated over copper. This brings a certain glare to the sound. In your case it works because VDH ic will compress the signal slightly and make it sweet. Suggest you try the Mogami cables with Neutrik connectors. Alternatively any good 14 gauge pure copper cable will work fine.

Prem,

agreed to some extent..but since world cup is going on...wud like to add here that .if lionel messi is included in indian football team..it is not going to qualify for the world cup ....purpose is to improve the major lacking thing in scene so that atleast indian team can qualify for the world cup...hope u got the essence....

Hi dheerajin

You need to understand that the entire music signal from your dac to the amp is going through the ic. Again the entire signal is going from the amp to the speakers through the speaker cable. The cables you are using are will add its own color to the signal. You need to hear your system through simple copper cables to understand what is happening. You might like what you hear. In which case there will be no need to add a preamp. Adding a new preamp does not necessarily mean an upgrade.

Most of the time i have seen sound getting messed up because of wrong use of cables. Use of cables like VDH will doctor the sound

Last edited:
Hi dheerajin

You need to understand that the entire music signal from your dac to the amp is going through the ic. Again the entire signal is going from the amp to the speakers through the speaker cable. The cables you are using are will add its own color to the signal. You need to hear your system through simple copper cables to understand what is happening. You might like what you hear. In which case there will be no need to add a preamp. Adding a new preamp does not necessarily mean an upgrade.

Hi prem,

just changing a gear wud mean ..changing the the sound signature..
one year back happened to visit AVM factory in germany..and they give me demo with different speakers and cables offcourse, and they have many speaker brand to show that and even cables...they convinced me..that if heart is powerful ..means amplifier..then every else wud make a difference to .005%....and after listening to B&W, PMC and what not..with cheapest cable options..AVM was dominating....means..amplifier should extract whatever is coming to full extent..to rape the cable and source to present some thing that is ..rich, engaging and should give a greatest sex u ever had ..feeling...later on you can experiment with aphrodisiac(cables) ..same goes with accuphase.. and why Sansui vintage amplifiers are still knocking the socks off of modern day's amplifier..it is just because they are dominant in overall spectrum...audiophile world is full gamble..and cables are the paisas not rupees..in terms of sound quotient..not in terms of money..

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back