pre-amplifier for my system

Hi dheerajin

If you are that convinced that an amp is the heart of the system, why dont you just change your amp to AVM? AVM is available in India.

Hi dheerajin

If you are that convinced that an amp is the heart of the system, why dont you just change your amp to AVM? AVM is available in India.

I am not rich enough to get that richer sound..I am experimenting to get the best out of my existing sytem ..with bang for a buck..
I said ..I agree to some extent for your point of view..and thanks for sharing your views..and i know that it matters..but as for now..i am accepting suggestions for pre-amp only...there are lots of cables..and u are true to the point that it makes a difference..but overall...everyone has different experience..so it matters different to all..

Last edited:
Hi dheerajin

You are more likely to get your sound from an Accuphase. You can buy an used one. Even the older models are very good. Alternatively go for a DHT pre from Lyrita Audio

Hi dheerajin

You are more likely to get your sound from an Accuphase. You can buy an used one. Even the older models are very good. Alternatively go for a DHT pre from Lyrita Audio

gr8..but even used accuphase is more than 3.5 lakhs...my NAD 375 BEE amp has very good power amp..so why to waste money..when I am having one part good..only changing..pre amp wud change the scene..anyway if bitten by upgrade bug..u will never rest..so after some years when i am good enough to buy accuphase or AVM..will buy ..but who knows..what is there in coming future..some new tecnology will alter the things..like class D amps have done these days..take example of AVM or take example of EMOTIVA in case of SS amps with processor facility..its all space and time..only thing matters is to push the lacking thing out of phase..and i had experimented with cables before..so ..going for pre-amp..and as u said..lyrita..agreed..now u are right..but lyrita is tube sound and best for the buck i am getting Pas B1 and IFI ITUBE..so..lets see.

Last edited:
One of the feelings that I have with NAD-PSB combo is that of excessive bass that can sound artificial. As someone suggested earlier, maybe you just need some room-treatment. Try some bass traps in the corners and see if that helps in getting the sound you are looking for.

I am not rich enough to get that richer sound..I am experimenting to get the best out of my existing sytem ..with bang for a buck..
I said ..I agree to some extent for your point of view..and thanks for sharing your views..and i know that it matters..but as for now..i am accepting suggestions for pre-amp only...there are lots of cables..and u are true to the point that it makes a difference..but overall...everyone has different experience..so it matters different to all..

dheerajin,

Prem's observations are spot on. His signature is blank so you may not realize his experience.
Prem's experience and knowledge is a good 10-15 years ahead of most people on this forum.

The Supra cables and NAD amp are the weak links in your chain IMO. The PSB Synchronys are beyond reproach.
The Pass B1 can do a good job with the NAD but look at better amplification down the line to get the most out of your system.

If you do implement the B1 you are likely to realize that the Supras are a bottle neck. You mentioned "lush" sound - this usually translates to tube sound and copper based cables. The Supras are not lush generally speaking. Like the DIY Pass B1 kit, trying other cables will not cost much.

All the best with your amp search!

Before blaming the preamp, I'd suggest borrowing a higher current amp to try out. I've heard the bigger synchrony one with the nad m3 extensively and it doesn't quite have enough juice for them. They work better with a higher current amp (the Yamaha as-2000 did a better job despite having a lower wattage rating).

From a primarily PC source? I have two ideas, both coming from different directions to that of adding a pre-amp.

1. You want to change the sound of playback from your PC: use an EQualiser on the PC. You'd need to do a bit of research to translate "richer" into numbers, but I'm guessing you're after some more mid bass, maybe some more lower mids, but hey... you can experiment. Foobar has one or there is an add-in? I don't know as I don't use it, but I'd be very surprised if not.

That's all different sound signatures are: a little more of this, a little less of that ...like spices in the cooking. You can tune your PC source to just want you want!

Of course that doesn't mean that one can listen to another component ans replicate its sound, because we don't have the experience. But we have to start somewhere so: Graphic equaliser... tone knobs for your PC :D

2. Consider a component like this: ifi Micro-iTube buffer.

Crossposted...

That depends. I have a passive pre-amp, playing from a PC/DAC source (other sources to be added). It has a choice of buffered and completely passive output. The unbuffered output is transparent, it takes nothing away. The buffered out adds just a smidgen of warmth, which I rather like for my headphone amp. No point in my recommending it as it is a 10/15-yr-old "antique" and its current incarnation is hugely expensive!
Assuming you are happy with your cables , source etc, you may even try a 24/192 or may be even DSD, that also has high quality preamp. Most recent Teac might be good to check out.

Not sure what is your source, I would first look at it and the interconnects before going down the signal path. If you have tried them, then a high quality DAC with high quality preamp will be good to try

dheerajin,

Prem's observations are spot on. His signature is blank so you may not realize his experience.
Prem's experience and knowledge is a good 10-15 years ahead of most people on this forum.

The Supra cables and NAD amp are the weak links in your chain IMO. The PSB Synchronys are beyond reproach.
The Pass B1 can do a good job with the NAD but look at better amplification down the line to get the most out of your system.

If you do implement the B1 you are likely to realize that the Supras are a bottle neck. You mentioned "lush" sound - this usually translates to tube sound and copper based cables. The Supras are not lush generally speaking. Like the DIY Pass B1 kit, trying other cables will not cost much.

All the best with your amp search!

Nikhil,

Its good to have suggestion from such an experienced people and what they are saying is also correct. From the start I never said that, I am unhappy with my system. Rather I am much happy, I dont have bass boom problem neither some harshness in signature. Just because I want to check whether bypassing NAD preamp, I get some good things or not. Since this forum is always talking about upgrading the equipments and after reading them i thought to go in that direction otherwise i never thought of changing anything in my system. Synchromy has deep calm bass, supra cables are doing ok, I do not find any problem in them too after checking them with QED speaker cables. As FM Jai1611 mentioned the current from the amp matters and i think it dominates the cable quotient to much extent.

If Supra and NAD amp is weak link in my system then I need to change the whole system and then house and then to own a studio..etc..
My simple wish was to add one pre amp as others are doing..and this thought generated after reading HFV...not by myself..can you please see the Hydra's post in this chain ...he has given a link...just want to have that experience..

I am in no position to deny, suggestion given by experienced people since I am new in this journey. Hope after some time I will post a thread for cable change suggestion

Calling Pre-amp owners in Pune!

How about visiting dheerajin so he can hear your box in his system?

dheerajin... Without this experience, you are betting blind by just buying something, whatever anybody else says about it. That might be fine if you were buying a new system, or were unhappy with what you have, but as you are really enjoying music right now, it is just too big a gamble. Things might stay the same, or even get worse: there is no guarantee of improvement at all, only of spending cash.

Sorry I can't volunteer my box: wrong city, too far away.

Calling Pre-amp owners in Pune!

How about visiting dheerajin so he can hear your box in his system?

dheerajin... Without this experience, you are betting blind by just buying something, whatever anybody else says about it. That might be fine if you were buying a new system, or were unhappy with what you have, but as you are really enjoying music right now, it is just too big a gamble. Things might stay the same, or even get worse: there is no guarantee of improvement at all, only of spending cash.

Sorry I can't volunteer my box: wrong city, too far away.

I am coming to chennai..dont worry.:)..Thad Once in Pune I will get the box as suggested by FM Mishrajee..so dont worry..I am in no hurry to buy..there are already 4-5 Fms in pune have that pass-B1 so i am safe...

Last edited:
Agree with you Thad. Too much of a gamble considering the fact Dheerajin is liking his system

Yes, Thad! Let him listen first and make his decision. We can just add as many as choices for him.

Agree with you Thad. Too much of a gamble considering the fact Dheerajin is liking his system

Hi Prem ,

Mid of july I am reaching Pune. So after that time will get in touch with you for the improvement in all aspect. and I will be auditioning with pass B1. Not buying..so not to woory about anything ..thanks for concern..

cheers

dheeraj

Hi dheeraj

You can surely try the b1 and it am sure there will be a change. For good or bad that I am not sure as I have never heard the discussed nad amp

Have you ever done any research about your nad amp on the internet?

What are the weak areas in the pre and power section and is there any scope for improvement?

IMO, modding the amp with proper knowledge and proper parts will give you a better and major improvement in your amp

The b1 was also modded from its original design (some part values changed) and it brought about a major improvement in the b1 pre then the already good stock design

I am sure you will find some info posted by someone on the internet who has modded his nad 375 amp (changing caps in the output stage if any to some other value or brand, fitting bigger power caps, etc , etc.

It's just like how stock car engine is fitted with new parts to make it more powerful, how braking system is changed to something bigger and better to improve braking

Just find the right person to do it and I am sure there will be enough improvements to hold back an upgrade

Also do try different preamps including b1

Nikhil, ...

If Supra and NAD amp is weak link in my system then I need to change the whole system and then house and then to own a studio..etc..

My simple wish was to add one pre amp as others are doing..

Point taken. As I said earlier Pass B1 is highly recommended.
A fully built kit should cost you less than 10k. Maybe a little more.

For the lush sound you are seeking for a tube pre might do the trick.
However, selecting a preamp with synergy with your NAD will be the tricky part.
Try and see if someone has tried what you are doing before and go from there.

Cheers!

I am not looking for lush sound...actually IFI I tube is having that...and before passB1..that was the only option i was considering..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back