pre-amplifier for my system

dheerajin

Dear All,

I was thinking of upgrading my amplifier. But later decided to use my integrated NAD 375BEE amp as power amp since it has the separate power amp input. This way I can change the sound signature through new richer pre-amp and NAD will amplify the clean power to 150wpc.
So according to your experience please suggest some good pre-amp which will have synergy with my rig(signature)

cheers

dheeraj

Last edited:
I have tried NAD 375 BEE for sometime and got a chance to compare it to the pre-power (NAD 165, 275) but I did not hear any difference in the two options. I can't comment on their newer pre-amps.

I have tried NAD 375 BEE for sometime and got a chance to compare it to the pre-power (NAD 165, 275) but I did not hear any difference in the two options. I can't comment on their newer pre-amps.

My plan is to have different pre amp(other than NAD) to change the sound signature of my system. Hope u got the point.

My plan is to have different pre amp(other than NAD) to change the sound signature of my system. Hope u got the point.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for ? What do you feel is missing in your system or you want in your system ?

Upgrading the Pre section would be a very good way of upgrading the sound without spending a whole lot.

I used to use a Lyrita DHT Pre as a preamp for my NAD 326BEE and PSB Image B6. (I'm not using the NAD and the PSBs any more, and the DHT Pre was sold when I stopped using the NAD). There was a huge improvement. I'd written about the improvement on post #198 on this thread.

From what the others are writing about their experiences in the DIY section, I think the Pass B1 would also be an excellent option.

Thanks Hydra,

Means what I was thinking, was correct.Why one would need to change whole amp when one can do with changing pre-amp.
I am actively looking for active pre amps only. Passive in my thinking, takes something away from the signal, which can be recognized in some system and in some not, this I feel.
Just read the reviews of IFI-ITUBE on net. Anyone in this forum has any experience about it. I am open to all suggestion so feel free to advice.

cheers

Dheeraj

I can only say richer sound ..

From a primarily PC source? I have two ideas, both coming from different directions to that of adding a pre-amp.

1. You want to change the sound of playback from your PC: use an EQualiser on the PC. You'd need to do a bit of research to translate "richer" into numbers, but I'm guessing you're after some more mid bass, maybe some more lower mids, but hey... you can experiment. Foobar has one or there is an add-in? I don't know as I don't use it, but I'd be very surprised if not.

That's all different sound signatures are: a little more of this, a little less of that ...like spices in the cooking. You can tune your PC source to just want you want!

Of course that doesn't mean that one can listen to another component ans replicate its sound, because we don't have the experience. But we have to start somewhere so: Graphic equaliser... tone knobs for your PC :D

2. Consider a component like this: ifi Micro-iTube buffer.

Crossposted...
I am actively looking for active pre amps only. Passive in my thinking, takes something away from the signal, which can be recognized in some system and in some not, this I feel.
That depends. I have a passive pre-amp, playing from a PC/DAC source (other sources to be added). It has a choice of buffered and completely passive output. The unbuffered output is transparent, it takes nothing away. The buffered out adds just a smidgen of warmth, which I rather like for my headphone amp. No point in my recommending it as it is a 10/15-yr-old "antique" and its current incarnation is hugely expensive!

Last edited:
Thanks Thad..for suggesting IFI ITUBE buffer.

as per your suggestion for richer sound , now I am looking for an equalizer which can turn my (few lakhs) system into 20 lakh worth system in terms of SQ:licklips:
anyway kidding, u suggested in other way of richness of sound.
Please tell me more about IFI ITUBE buffer if you or your friend has experienced.

cheers
dheeraj

now I am looking for an equalizer which can turn my (few lakhs) system into 20 lakh worth system in terms of SQ

hee hee :lol:. It might just be more possible than you think. It is all a matter of tuning. The only trouble is that it might actually be cheaper to spend the 20 lakh than to spend years learning enough about audio engineering. The latter might lead to a great job in a studio, though!

I have an ifi iCAN headphone amplifier. The ifi iDAC DAC has been written about in another thread here. I'm not really interested in adding "valve sound" to my system, so I only know the iTUBE from their site, so google can probably help you more than I can. I'm sure plenty will have been written: ifi is a company which has attracted a great deal of attention.

Can someone explain richer sound to me? I have not come across this earlier.

Dear Shivam,

As hydra has mentioned in his other post about his upgrade experience.
Rich in terms of detail, soundstage, lustrous mid..etc.etc..
I hope this time u got the point..
and as Thad's signature "says The most important cables are the ones in your brain"...that is also true our brain cables determines which sound is better for each one...so please dont go into terminology ...Bhavnao ko samjho:)

cheers

dheeraj

The iFi Tube Buffer is a solid option. I wonder why I didn't think of it earlier! I actually saw one just this sunday. It's available in India (D&D in Kochi).

Your feeling should be based on some past experience, if so then please let us know. Otherwise I don't agree with you about passive if you are talking about Pass B1.
Anyway your purchase is your choice. But I wish to know what I am missing.

Last edited:
Your feeling should be based on some past experience, if so the please let us know. Otherwise I don't agree with you about passive if you are talking about Pass B1.
Anyway your purchase is your choice. But I wish to know what I am missing.

Sir you are not missing anything...at the end i wrote "i feel".. it was just a feeling not statement. Its all subjective in this audio world. I am not at all talking about Pass B1. I dont have any experience of any passive amps. Just read somewhere on the net and thought why already big player in audio world is not making passive amps..there must be some logic behind ...thats why otherwise I am not the expert to say something like that..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back