pre-owned vinyl available in Bangalore

Next time I go I must wear a dirty pant, a torn shirt, and maybe a few days of beard, and un combed hair. And a bathroom chappal !!

Cheers.

LOL... and please tell them that the reason you are buying vinyl is because you want to make furit baskets out of them and since they are junked long ago, you think that they will be available really cheap...

I will try to procure more contacts in Chennai in the mean while...

LOL!!!! Singaara Chennai...i remember the good ol days almost a decade back while I was there...

Venkat,

If you're looking for something in particular, do let me know and I could pick them up for you from Bangalore and ship em over. Our friendly neighborhood Balaji has Vinyl's in good condition.

As I said, I bought about 75 of them last evening, but I spent about 3.5 hours to browse through them making sure the scratches are absolutely minimal, and the ones that had some dulness, i spent some time in cleaning them (bathroom cleaning technique) were playing really nice.

The output that one gets from an LP is incomparable - wish I had transitioned to LPs much earlier...

- may the force be with you...

""i spent some time in cleaning them (bathroom cleaning technique) were playing really nice.""

Mate!
Make sure that you are not using tap water for cleaning.. use mineral water for you dont want micro-particles (minerals etc) and other impurities getting settled on the grooves.
Also, you can make your own cleaning solution:
<snip>
30% of ethyl alcohol or methanol, 5% isopropyl, 65% of distilled water and a few drops of an industrial detergent (or of the household variety if you cannot obtain a special kind). About 4 to 5 drops per liter will do. The alcohol must be of the industrial kind without any additive.
</snip>

here's another one.. I use this one, minus the "photo flo" thinggie
<snip>
a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol (70% by Vol.) or denatured alcohol (fewer impurities) and filtered or distilled water (again, fewer impurities). A few claim that alcohol is damaging to vinyl... 70% or more by volume strength and continual contact for a long period of time, maybe... but not in the recommended dilution. A mild detergent, such as Johnson and Johnson Baby Bath, can be used in small amounts with water with no rinsing necessary. Photo Flo is a wetting agent used in photography to help reduce water spots and marks during the rinsing of negatives. A couple of drops in the above solutions also help in reducing residual deposits.
</snip>
Check internet.. you will find a lot of info on this topic...
Cheers

Last edited:
LOL! Of course mate...

It was only due to the initial excitement of some records that I wanted to play immediately that I sorted to the BCT (Bathroom Cleaning Technique) but the water was double purified.

I did get some dope off the internet, but didn't have the time to buy the stuff required for cleansing...

I'll take good care of the records... :)

Also, I use new polly covers for LPs after cleaning them.. and for their slip covers as well... you can get them at Avenue road or at shivaji nagar...
I'll help you if you cant find the shop...

Thanks mate...

Tomorrow is going to be a day for a Pre-amp and LP covers.
Good that you brought up that topic. I was thinking of what to do with them...the plastic cover with Paper sleeves is bound to collect dust and thereby getting scratches...your idea is good...where do you get them? any specific shop? I could probably lay my hands on a 100 of them...

Thanks Arvind..as always, for helping...

We should catch up sometime...perhaps over a suttah & chai...

I just went to shaviji nagar to fetch covers.. I didnt got the exact size for slip covers, however, the poly bags I fetched are just a few cms wide... they will do the trick.
the size of an LP is 32 cms wide and the bags I fetched are 33 cms X 43 cms. So I have to cut the other end .. but thats the whole fun of collecting LP and then taking care of them.. pretty addictive :)
These plastic bags (polythene and PVC) are sold in Kilos and I paid Rs 145/kg (around 80 covers). There are a lot of shops near the cross road where seppings road confluences with shivaji nagar (near hotel taj). Or you can ask me to fetch them for you.. the place is just a stone's thorow away from my office.

I will be glad to meet you over a cup of chai and sutta :) perhaps we will barge into each other whilst hunting for LPs. Just gimme a call whenever you are going to avenue road..

Last edited:
hey avphreak,
my name's rahul. i guess i was the guy in the black shirt at Balaji's shop, with a friend. there wasnt anyone else in the western section. was looking around for some good '70s rock, but dint really find anything worth picking up. found a lot of Neil Diamond and the Ventures, so picked up those. were you the guys that picked up the Philips TT from there? it seemed to play really well. congrats, if u did.

cheers
rahul

Hi Rahul, are there any more VENTURES LP's left?. I am looking for MUSIC & MUSIC by VENTURES.

Regards,
Anil

hey avphreak,
my name's rahul. i guess i was the guy in the black shirt at Balaji's shop, with a friend. there wasnt anyone else in the western section. was looking around for some good '70s rock, but dint really find anything worth picking up. found a lot of Neil Diamond and the Ventures, so picked up those. were you the guys that picked up the Philips TT from there? it seemed to play really well. congrats, if u did.

cheers
rahul

hey avphreak,

cheers
rahul

Hey Rahul,

Yup, that was us and it was us who picked up those big @$$ bags filled with LPs (81) and the player...and true to your words, it plays beautifully.

We did our share of searching through the pile. What you saw us doing was filtering what we really needed amongst the 153 records that we initially selected.

Anyways, nice meeting you Rahul, perhaps, we speak the next time we bump into each other @ Balaji's...

Speak to you soon mate...

- Maddy

LOL!!!! Singaara Chennai...i remember the good ol days almost a decade back while I was there...

Venkat,

If you're looking for something in particular, do let me know and I could pick them up for you from Bangalore and ship em over. Our friendly neighborhood Balaji has Vinyl's in good condition.

Thank you AvPhreak. I will submit a list of artists I like, and you could keep your eyes open when you browse the LP market.

Thanks a million again.

Cheers

Venkat

hey anil,
yes,there are LOADS of Ventures LPs there. dont really remember seeing Music&Music, but its probably there. lots of the Shadows too. not much else by way of classic rock though.
we should probably meet there sometime.

cheers
rahul

no dude. I couldn't make it yesterday. Something else came up so I couldn't make it to Palani's.

I am using my friends Denon Amp with an in-built phono pre-amp for the time being.

CA pre=amp costs around 6850/-. Lets see...

Sonodyne is another option... they do manufacture SP 203R stereo preamp (Home Audio > Sonus Series)

Their website mentions the following dealer in bangalore:

DECIBELS INC, Bangalore
(Home, Audio, Installed Sound) Ganapathy Complex, No.672/D,
11th Cross, 7th Block, K R Road,
Jayanagar, Bangalore - 560 082
Tel : 080 41130927
Mobile : 0 98867 22937
E-mail : [email protected]

I wonder if any member auditioned the preamp.. any comments on the preamp??

i checked this from the Forum - Sonodyne Showroom. They were quoting somewhere around 8K for this. But what displeased me was their attitude. they were least interested in the same or in explaining anything. It put me off completely.

I give Decibels a holler and check with them...

Just called JUST DIAL to get sonodyne numbers..
contact Mr. Saha: 22067684.
The showroom is in 2nd floor, Forum Mall, K'mangla.
I talked to the gentleman and he seem to be quite ready to arrange the auditioning... the price he quoted is 8k..

Good luck...:)

PS: Damn, I have visited this mall a million times and never knew that one can find preamp there as well.. sometimes thing are just under your nose and you cant notice them.. :):)

Last edited:
I did the same too, and got the same number.

I'll speak to them. Also, there is a British brand - Gerrard LP Player available including the pre-amp. Quoted price is about 7K. I'm also seeing if I could buy that as well. It would come handy as I was thinking of giving one to my father, he is a die hard retro fan.

thanks as always Arvind.

Hey, I spoke to Prithvi, a really nice gentleman. He informed me that they sell covers for LPs. they are anti-static ones made of rice paper - rough cost - 150/pc.

Thought i'll put it l up in the forum as we have a good growing size of vinyl lovers who care for the records... :)

Last edited:
What model of Garrard they have? Garrard was a popular name back in 70s.. their model 401 had ( and still have) excellent reputation.
this new model will be worth checking as well...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back