pre-owned vinyl available in Bangalore

Hi,
Thanks a heap, guess I can't get lost with such detailed directions, much obliged.
I'll be in Bangalore on 3rd & 4th March, but might find time to get to Balaji's only on the evening of the 3rd. Maybe we could catch up.

Yes, the G401 refers to the Garrard model, which is the TT I'm using currently in addition to an LP12, the latter not getting much use these days. Last week, my flea market dealer in Bombay found me a mint never-used Garrard 301, grease bearing model, in the box since 1956/57 , with all its attachments still in their sealed containers. Could not believe my eyes... and my luck. That's my next project, to build a plinth and find a decent tonearm (SME perhaps).

regards

bloody hell!!!! :eek: that's awesome!!!!

i'm in the process of setting up a garrard 301. got it with sme series II 12" and 9" tonearms. we should definitely meet up! glad to meet another garrard fan :D

i'd be much obliged if in that pack of your garrard you find the cart alignment template. its a strip with parallel lines. you put it on the spindle and in the middle, there's a hole in which you put the stylus tip and make sure the cart edges are parallel to the lines on the template. if you have it can you make a duplicate in cardboard and get it for me when you're in bangalore? i'd sure appreciate it. cant find it online :(

my office is very close to st marks road so get in touch. pming you number.

regards

Hi G401,

Boy did you hit the jackpot!!!!!!!!

It seems to be raining 301's in Bombay.
Steven found one a few weeks ago with two SME arms.

I find myself listening more to my TD124 than the 301(oil bearing).The 124 sounds closer to the LP12 in its presentation. It is not that one is better than the other but I like the "airier' presentation of the 124 and LP12.

G401 look out for a good unipivot tonearm for the 301 (a used Syrinx)They sound fantastic on a 301. What is the rest of your system?

Regards
Rajiv

G401 look out for a good unipivot tonearm for the 301 (a used Syrinx)They sound fantastic on a 301. What is the rest of your system?

Hi G401,

Sorry, the above should read

G401 look out for a good unipivot tonearm for the 301 or a used Syrinx.(The Syrinx in not a unipivot)

Regards
Rajiv

this reminds me of a folly I committed during my initial days of collecting vinyl and TTs. I found a 301 with a junk dealer .. the platter was spinning.. missing cart..and a lots of nicks and nacks on its surface. The guy was asking for 1.5k only. I never went for it...
now i regret as its been a year since I am searching for one and I cant find it anywhere... perhaps only in due time.

Last edited:
Hi stevieboy
Here is a website where you can download cartridge alignment tools and speed checker for turntables
Free Stuff
just download the files and print on laser printer.
regards
Hiten

thanks hiten,

i have that protractor and have used it to align the cart. the sme manual refers to a one point protractor that is a cardboard strip that fits onto the spindle and has only one point in its center to place the stylus tip and parallel lines. i'm guessing the two point protractor will work too till i double check with the original one. thanks though!

g401 i made a mistake. you wouldn't have the protractor i was talking about. it comes with the sme not the garrard :) though if you have the stroboscope could you make a xerox? have the ones downloaded from the net but not too sure of right size.

regards

bloody hell!!!! :eek: that's awesome!!!!

i'm in the process of setting up a garrard 301. got it with sme series II 12" and 9" tonearms. we should definitely meet up! glad to meet another garrard fan :D

i'd be much obliged if in that pack of your garrard you find the cart alignment template. its a strip with parallel lines. you put it on the spindle and in the middle, there's a hole in which you put the stylus tip and make sure the cart edges are parallel to the lines on the template. if you have it can you make a duplicate in cardboard and get it for me when you're in bangalore? i'd sure appreciate it. cant find it online :(

my office is very close to st marks road so get in touch. pming you number.

regards

Thanks! Glad to know that there are idler drive fans on this forum. We definitely should meet. Will try and call when I'm in Bangalore.
I have the cartridge alignment rig, which came with the SME Manual which I got with the 3009 that is installed on my 401. I'll make a copy and bring it along. It may be also online at the vinylengine site, I suspect.
regards,

Hi G401,

Boy did you hit the jackpot!!!!!!!!

It seems to be raining 301's in Bombay.
Steven found one a few weeks ago with two SME arms.

I find myself listening more to my TD124 than the 301(oil bearing).The 124 sounds closer to the LP12 in its presentation. It is not that one is better than the other but I like the "airier' presentation of the 124 and LP12.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks, Rajiv
and congrats on your TD124. Been hoping to find one for many years now, but they rarely show up, just like the 301s and 401s. Got lucky this time.
Not sure where I'd find a used Syrinx, or any other exotic tonearm short of importing one from overseas.
I do have an SME 3012 (without the anti-skate string weight), but I'm planning to build a plinth for a 9" arm, because of shelf size restrictions, even though I know that the longer arm is probably more suited to the 301. Maybe I'll use it for a rebuild later...
Rest of the system is: Cadence VA 1.0HP amp, Cadence Avita speakers, NAD 521BEE CD player (hardly ever used because of the vinyl priority) and MF XLP phonostage, Siltech London interconnects, unbranded speaker cable.
regards

this reminds me of a folly I committed during my initial days of collecting vinyl and TTs. I found a 301 with a junk dealer .. the platter was spinning.. missing cart..and a lots of nicks and nacks on its surface. The guy was asking for 1.5k only. I never went for it...
now i regret as its been a year since I am searching for one and I cant find it anywhere... perhaps only in due time.

Hi.
Know how you feel. Had me own share of missed opportunities, too painful to recount. Hope you will find one soon.. they're out there all right, esp. in places like Bombay, Pune and Bangalore which had enthusiasts for these systems back in the '50s and '60s. Old Parsi houses, especially.
regards

Hi everyone
here is website for info on sme tonearm. see if it is helpful
SME 3009 / 3012
and for stroboscope only a good zerox copy will be useful because most of the xerox machines doesn't give accurate copy either they give elongated or compressed copy. best way will be to scan it with high resolution and print on laser printer with dark setting.
regards
Hiten

On the subject of SME, I am running a SME V tonearm on a Sota Sapphire turntable. Its pretty good. I got a bit lucky as I picked up a used unit in Singapore at a very attractive price. Had trouble transporting it though to India. Cheers!

Hi GSubash,
When you say 'It's pretty good' , I guess that's understating it a bit. A Star Sapphire/SME V combination- Wow!!!!

btw, is it a Sota from the '80s, or a unit from their recent resuscitation of the company?
rgds

visited balaji's on sunday. picked up some 200 odd lps. supertramp breakfast in america, billy joel 52nd street. ravi shankar with andre previn, ravi shankar with yehudi menhuin 1 & 2, ravi shankar live in california, lata mangeshkar live in london. oh yeah also got my first red vinyl lp. forget which one. a classical album. dont know if the sound quality will be better but it'll sure be fun to see a red LP spinning round n round!

am done now. only if he has new stuff will i be picking up. asked him if anybody dropped in, apparently nobody! he closed up early round 5ish and we left.

planning to fill in my rock collection gaps with lps ordered from abroad now.

Last edited:
:) :) :) :) :D

just received my copy of The Doors 7 vinyl box set :) :) that's one less artist to scrounge around for, except for live performances if i chance across em!

Does the set contain 'Absolutely Live' , the double LP? In that case, you only have 'Alive, she cried' amongst the originals to get. Bootlegs are another matter.
rgds

nah g401,

no live albums only the studio albums with the doors in stereo and mono. and light my fire as a free 7" single for which i have to write to rhino. thanks for the live album recommendation. will look out for it.

regards

by the way what happened to your bangalore plans?

Hi,

I received my first consignment of LP records from BollywoodVinyl.com last week. These are new, never used LP records in Hindi and Urdu. The US and UK pressings are in good quality and in great condition. I am thrilled:yahoo: I am not looking at any used records now.
I was already ordering the English and Jazz LPs from acousticsounds.com.

Most of the stuff at bollywoodvinyl is pretty expensive, but there are many reasonably priced new LPs hidden in the long lists, if you are ready to hunt around.

Thanks,
Sharad

I know its an old thread. Thought I'll post for the benefit of guys looking for used LPs in Bangalore.
There is this place called Antique Palace in Unity Building in Bangalore. This elderly gentleman (Mr. Ramesh Kukreja) owns a good collection of records.I saw quite a few used record players (Philips High Q International / Garrard / B&O). Few interesting LPs

1. Whole lotta old hindi/bollywood
2. Beatles collection
3. Elvis Presleys
4. A few relatively new pressings of Iron Maiden/Nirvana

PS - I, personally, thought it was overpriced.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back