pre-owned vinyl available in Bangalore

I know its an old thread. Thought I'll post for the benefit of guys looking for used LPs in Bangalore.
There is this place called Antique Palace in Unity Building in Bangalore. This elderly gentleman (Mr. Ramesh Kukreja) owns a good collection of records.I saw quite a few used record players (Philips High Q International / Garrard / B&O). Few interesting LPs

1. Whole lotta old hindi/bollywood
2. Beatles collection
3. Elvis Presleys
4. A few relatively new pressings of Iron Maiden/Nirvana

PS - I, personally, thought it was overpriced.

I have seen many advertisements given by Mr. kukreja on olx or quikr. Infact spoke to him once or twice on the phone to enquire about TTs. Did some background work before visiting him. Got feedback from people that his pricing is not reasonable.

Meanwhile could you share the price quoted by Mr. kukreja for hindi Lps.

regards, Amit

Hi

I called up Mr.Balaji, he said he has Hindi and English collection of Lp's too, he mentioned the price would start from Rs: 150 each,

just wanted to check with you guys who bought from him, if the quality of Lps are good and is the price fair ?

Thank you

Tanoj

Hi

I called up Mr.Balaji, he said he has Hindi and English collection of Lp's too, he mentioned the price would start from Rs: 150 each,

just wanted to check with you guys who bought from him, if the quality of Lps are good and is the price fair ?

Thank you

Tanoj

Tanoj,

I bought LPs from him a while back. He has a lot of collection of records, but not maintained at all. There are just lying around in a room. I did pick up some records and few of them were very bad. The bad ones are 150. He has another collection that are okay quality, but will cost you around 400-500. If you are really lucky, you may find some good ones.

-John.

Thank you John

As iam planing to visit his shop on monday ( sunday the shop is closed ), i am wondering if i could get some quality stuff of famous Hindi lp's like umraojaan, shree 420, pakeeza etc

Thank you

Tanoj

Thank you John

As iam planing to visit his shop on monday ( sunday the shop is closed ), i am wondering if i could get some quality stuff of famous Hindi lp's like umraojaan, shree 420, pakeeza etc

Thank you

Tanoj

you may also check Seethaphones, it is very near to Balaji's place. I understand owners of both the shops are close relatives. I think you will get what you are looking for, but the question is quality and price.

Please share your experience after your visit. Also keep a watch on olx and quikr. You might notice some ad for sale of records.

For LPs the method is simple - seeing is believing. Never trust the grading of sellers (unless they have a reputation). Often records are washed with detergent and what not to make them sparkle. The condition can only be ascertained if the grooves are checked with a magnifying glass or better still, if they are played. Recently I took a gamble and accquired 30 records from a music centre in Jaipur. The records were full of muck and at first look, I was disappointed. But when I started cleaning them, realized that most of them played very well and were in good condition (perhaps nobody showed up at the music center to have these western orchestration LPs recorded anyways).

On another note, if you have to pay Rs.250 or 350 for a western album, you might as well buy them from abroad. If you buy lots of 30 LPs or so, shipping interestingly turns out to be quite affordable. For example, if you look carefully, a lot of 30 LPs would cost around $15 to $20. Ordinary shipping would be about $30 to $40 so you'd end up getting them for around $60 which is about Rs.3600/- by current exchange rates. Hence you'd end up paying just over Rs.100/- per LP and that too for lovely American pressings. I have bought records like and all purchases have turned out to be good.

However the flip side of this approach is:

1) not all ebay.com sellers ship worldwide
2) sellers usually charge high shipping rates for worldwide shipping saying that they have to fill additional documentation, travel greater distances to the post office and what not, don't go by international rates quoted on the advert. Negotiate separately. Avoid first class shipping. Also some sellers (like those on ebay.in) charge high shipping and make a cut off it
3) You wont get albums of your choice, these are usually sold in lots.
4) Any record lot related to rock music is expensive, heavy metal LPs are mighty expensive

I will never buy if anyone offers me an english or western LP for more than 100 bucks in India, whatever be the excuse, like current rates in the sellers city, etc. A Gramaphone Co of India Ltd, CBS India or Polodor India pressing can never match the American ones (except rare exceptions).

Here is a classic example for half dollar LPs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-65-L...3016266?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item1e7e010a4a

Last edited:
I have seen many advertisements given by Mr. kukreja on olx or quikr. Infact spoke to him once or twice on the phone to enquire about TTs. Did some background work before visiting him. Got feedback from people that his pricing is not reasonable.

Meanwhile could you share the price quoted by Mr. kukreja for hindi Lps.

regards, Amit

Hi Amit,

I have bought Hindi LP's (mostly RD Burman) from Mr. Kukreja and his prices were around 400-700 for EX quality ones and upwards of 900 for near mint ones. I also feel he is overpriced and you can find similar quality for less.

regards
RD

Hi

Thank you Ruben for the wonderful information, as iam still new to the western ( English ) Music , i might take some time to figure out what i want , although i know what kind of music i like....

i usually like something musical and vocal ( solo ) songs, where voice dominates and we get the feel as if he/she is playing / singling live

Hi Amit , whre is Mr. Kukreja's shop ?

Thank you

Tanoj

Hi

Thank you Ruben for the wonderful information, as iam still new to the western ( English ) Music , i might take some time to figure out what i want , although i know what kind of music i like....

i usually like something musical and vocal ( solo ) songs, where voice dominates and we get the feel as if he/she is playing / singling live

Hi Amit , whre is Mr. Kukreja's shop ?

Thank you

Tanoj

Here you go Tanoj:

Ramesh Kukreja
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
jayachamraja road
J.C Road

Note: Exuberantly Priced

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back