Preamp for Active speakers

^^ Santy's post makes a lot of sense to me. Do try and give the monitors a balanced input if that's what they've been designed to work best with.

I agree too, though not for the same reasons, and some of the differences I'd suspect might not be quite so obvious in a blind test (Hey, this argument goes on even at Gearslutz!)

Speaking of which, matbhuvi, search Gearslutz for your monitors, and I think you will mostly get a nice war glow of confirmation :)

You'll also find a thread explaining the meaning and comparative values of different dB scales as commonly used in audio. Balanced is (IIRC) +10dB(something) and unbalanced is -4db(something slightly different). Apparently the actual difference is 11dB :eek:. Kanwat explained here recently too.

My speakers will take either balanced or unbalanced: there is a big difference in the volume setting.

You may need to make your own rca-->xlr cables. If you google, there will be help. One of my brain cells says that a company called Rane (?) publishes a chart of just about anything to just about everything conversion!

Wait... the spec is on p.9 of the manual. (here if you don't have a copy)

One of the easiest ways to get a balanced signal out of a PC would be the Juli@ card.

My Firewire Echo Audiofire2 has balanced in/out, but it is no longer made.

Still leaves the problem of a balanced i/o monitor controler for volume...

Last edited:
If it is for desktop use, then I do not think you will find it terribly inconvenient to adjust volumes on both monitors. If you really need, then I feel you must rather wait untill you can upgrade to a DAC with preamp in it. You must look at something like Audiolab M-DAC (awesome- I heard) and run balanced studio grade cables and you have a great system from end to end.

Hmm..this makes lot more sense. DAC with volume control and balanced out. Much much more sense. Back to square one to search for DACs then.

You may need to make your own rca-->xlr cables. If you google, there will be help. One of my brain cells says that a company called Rane (?) publishes a chart of just about anything to just about everything conversion!

Thanks Thad. I'll read about it.

Last edited:
Hmm..this makes lot more sense. DAC with volume control and balanced out. Much much more sense. Back to square one to search for DACs then.

Here are a couple of options (fully balanced, very good analog volume implementation, "no feedback" mechanism, ityaadi). They have many other models too, some which only accept digital inputs (i think this is one of those), some others that accept digital and analog inputs (can act as a true preamp).

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1033/NFB10.33EN.htm

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB28/NFB28EN.htm

Mine is KH120A and not the KH120D. 120D has the digital inputs and my version does not.

I think that what I saw was the analogue bal/unbal rca/xlr wiring. It looked familiar to the pin out I use on my Audiofire2, now it is feeding an unbalanced component. Let's double check that...

...Done. The manual at this link is for both A and D models. The information on p.9 deals with analogue connectivity, and the RCA/XLR diagram is for analogue. p.11 deals with pin-outs for digital connection

Last edited:
I think that what I saw was the analogue bal/unbal rca/xlr wiring. It looked familiar to the pin out I use on my Audiofire2, now it is feeding an unbalanced component. Let's double check that...

...Done. The manual at this link is for both A and D models. The information on p.9 deals with analogue connectivity, and the RCA/XLR diagram is for analogue. p.11 deals with pin-outs for digital connection

I decided to go for a DAC with balanced out. As simple as a DAC with good volume control. This will help me to use balanced xlr. Audio-GD seems to have good range of products in my price range.

Sounds like a good choice. I think you can call that a DAC/Pre-amp, especially if it has other inputs. Audio-GD has become well known amongst the many Chinese manufacturers that can't be navigated without expertise in that market, so it is probably a safe buy. Lots of experiences and reviews here and elsewhere!

Keep us informed :)

Sounds like a good choice. I think you can call that a DAC/Pre-amp, especially if it has other inputs. Audio-GD has become well known amongst the many Chinese manufacturers that can't be navigated without expertise in that market, so it is probably a safe buy. Lots of experiences and reviews here and elsewhere!

Keep us informed :)

Scored a good deal on a used Audio-GD 10ES (non-USB). Will be getting it in middle of this week. Thank you everyone for the guidance. It really means a lot to me.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back