ProAc Tablette 10 Vs Spendor A1 Vs Harbeth PE3SR

as u have recommended troelsgravesen.. I am having spendors 84 dB running with Pass labs First watt 7 amp ... though sounds wonderful but efficiency is an issue ... Would u recommend any such kit from troelgarvesen which is as good or rather tonally matching with Harbeth / Audionote / Spendors as i like spendors soundsignature but efficiency is the only issue ... I tried on troels but I could not discern much on website .. though many guys on offshore audio forums speak highly of his spkrs... pls let me know ( Regard Varinder 9815082181, Amritsar Customs)

Have you tried Tannoys Prestige speaker? They are warm sounding like Spendors with more detail and slam provided you have a decent sized room to play them in .
Thanks @panditji

Are you referring to this one? if yes, i had this in my contention list but had to disregard owing to its backward port which I am trying to avoid.

Yes sir. The Autograph Mini from the Prestige series are also supposed to be quite good as well as the Ardens from the Legacy series..
Tannoy Definition DC8 and Precision 6.1 are priced similarly to Spendor 3/1 and 3/5 and appear to follow a similar philosophy of presenting a benign impedance load(5.8 ohms minimum for the Precision 6.1). DC8 is more expensive than the Autograph mini. All Tannoys get praised for their pin point holographic imaging, including the XT mini. My experience is limited, but I had an opportunity to hear Mercury floorstanders in perfect conditions and the sound stage was quite something.

I am not a fan of kef ls 50 but you can consider them alongside the vocal focussed speakers mentioned here.

If you can source it from europe, its current price is well worth it. Around 650 euros of pounds its really worth for mid range lovers. Also you cant go wrong with spendor for the price.

Thanks Nitin for sharing but the ad looks a spoof to me. I just happened to check the seller profile. He has listed 4 items and all in different locations in India. Strange, isn't it? Enough signs to stay away I believe.
It’s 100% genuine deal. The olx people suggest to post ads in different locations so that the visibility will be more.

Fyi, but a bit of a wasted review - talking in absolutes and nothing about a comparison with 3/5 - even if it has to say it is better. A throwaway comparison with a JBL! Why?!

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - had a bit of free time over the weekend so was tinkering around and wanted to share a comparison between my P3ESR and Spendor Classic 3/5 mini monitors. Usually I have them in different rooms and chains. Was curious to try them head to head in the same room. Since the Luxman 509 has 2 speaker terminals for two sets of speakers it was easy to quickly A/B them on the fly. The chain also consists of a Holo R2R dac running on I2S, Mogami 2804 speaker cables. JL Audio sub. Source was my computer and FLAC files. Normally this chain is used with my Harbeth M30s.

This is subjective but for me the soul of the kind of music I like lives in the midrange. The midrange of both the P3ESR and 3/5 are very good. IMO vocals on the Harbeth are the best I have heard when you want to get lost in the music with vocal heavy tracks. Spendor and ATC come second and third for me. I prefer the midrange of all three of them over similar stand mount models from Focal, KEF, Dynaudio, Fyne, PSB, Epos, Quad, Genelec, Amphion, etc. Even the timbre of various acoustic instruments sound more natural and not hyped in any way.

Interestingly if you have a decent sub that has been integrated well after taking measurements and run things in a small to medium room, the P3ESR for me is preferable to the larger M30. It disappears and the imaging feels better. Bass on the M30 is not the most accurate. The P3 being sealed is quite easy to integrate with a good sub. I like the bass also better with the P3+sub combo. Something to consider for anyone looking at buying the expensive Harbeth M30. Of course if your room is quite large the P3 won't work.

Also interesting was how the P3 and Spendor both reacted to the higher end SS higher power Luxman amp. I have run the P3 and Spendor at various points of time with decent 70-100w amps from Jolida, Naim and Rega. The P3 with the Luxman 509 especially became almost unrecognizable for more dynamic music - I dare say I really enjoyed rock and electronic music on a Harbeth (obviously not as much as with active Genelecs and ATCs or PSB/Paradigm). I might just retain the P3, JL Audio sub and Luxman combo for longer and see if I can live with it making my M30s redundant.

The Spendor 3/5 are considerably cheaper than the P3 in India. I find their resolution and detail to be slightly better than the P3ESR. The 3/5 also sounds a bit more dynamic. However on timbre, tone, vocal quality, imaging I prefer the P3ESR. The P3 is also a bit more forgiving to older or poor recordings though the Spendor is not bad on this count too. Considering the price though (and the rather insane prices of Harbeth in India) the 3/5 is a great deal. I also find the 3/5 works better with tube and hybrid amps. The P3 definitely sounds the best with a 100-150W SS beefy amp.

Both are excellent for low volume night time listening. ATCs though excellent for instance are terrible for this specific use case. Another thing to keep in mind for someone looking to move up from entry level speakers and happens to live in an apartment with small/medium rooms and neighbours nearby.

Last edited:
Thankyou
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - had a bit of free time over the weekend so was tinkering around and wanted to share a comparison between my P3ESR and Spendor Classic 3/5 mini monitors. Usually I have them in different rooms and chains. Was curious to try them head to head in the same room. Since the Luxman 509 has 2 speaker terminals for two sets of speakers it was easy to quickly A/B them on the fly. The chain also consists of a Holo R2R dac running on I2S, Mogami 2804 speaker cables. JL Audio sub. Source was my computer and FLAC files. Normally this chain is used with my Harbeth M30s.

This is subjective but for me the soul of the kind of music I like lives in the midrange. The midrange of both the P3ESR and 3/5 are very good. IMO vocals on the Harbeth are the best I have heard when you want to get lost in the music with vocal heavy tracks. Spendor and ATC come second and third for me. I prefer the midrange of all three of them over similar stand mount models from Focal, KEF, Dynaudio, Fyne, PSB, Epos, Quad, Genelec, Amphion, etc. Even the timbre of various acoustic instruments sound more natural and not hyped in any way.

Interestingly if you have a decent sub that has been integrated well after taking measurements and run things in a small to medium room, the P3ESR for me is preferable to the larger M30. It disappears and the imaging feels better. Bass on the M30 is not the most accurate. The P3 being sealed is quite easy to integrate with a good sub. I like the bass also better with the P3+sub combo. Something to consider for anyone looking at buying the expensive Harbeth M30. Of course if your room is quite large the P3 won't work.

Also interesting was how the P3 and Spendor both reacted to the higher end SS higher power Luxman amp. I have run the P3 and Spendor at various points of time with decent 70-100w amps from Jolida, Naim and Rega. The P3 with the Luxman 509 especially became almost unrecognizable for more dynamic music - I dare say I really enjoyed rock and electronic music on a Harbeth (obviously not as much as with active Genelecs and ATCs or PSB/Paradigm). I might just retain the P3, JL Audio sub and Luxman combo for longer and see if I can live with it making my M30s redundant.

The Spendor 3/5 are considerably cheaper than the P3 in India. I find their resolution and detail to be slightly better than the P3ESR. The 3/5 also sounds a bit more dynamic. However on timbre, tone, vocal quality, imaging I prefer the P3ESR. The P3 is also a bit more forgiving to older or poor recordings though the Spendor is not bad on this count too. Considering the price though (and the rather insane prices of Harbeth in India) the 3/5 is a great deal. I also find the 3/5 works better with tube and hybrid amps. The P3 definitely sounds the best with a 100-150W SS beefy amp.

Both are excellent for low volume night time listening. ATCs though excellent for instance are terrible for this specific use case. Another thing to keep in mind for someone looking to move up from entry level speakers and happens to live in an apartment with small/medium rooms and neighbours nearby.

Thank you for those great impressions. Is the Spendor Classic 3/5 okay in the bass with only a min freq of 75hz? Prefer not to have to go to the trouble of purchasing a sub.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back