ProAc Tablette 10 Vs Spendor A1 Vs Harbeth PE3SR

Kumar442244

Hello Fellow Members,

Hope you are doing great.

Need some help in deciding 1 among the 3. (Harbeth a bit out of budget but is extra money worth spending against spendor or proac?)
This is for one of my colleagues who will be getting it from UK.
Would be really great if you can share the usage/ownership experience of these speakers.
Open for any other brand/model as well in the similar price range.
Edit - Sealed enclosure preferred with great emphasis on mid range.

I am sure he can listen to all 3 in UK. All the three are very good speakers and amp matching would also be critical with each.

With the course of events unfolding lately, it's practically impossible to get an in-store audition and hence my friend hv decide to hold on to the purchase. We are also considering to buy it in India and the quoted price is as follows:-
- proac tablette 10 - 135k with roughly 5% discount offered upfront.
- spendor A1 - 131k with roughly 15% discount offered upfront.
Could anyone please help if the pricing is fair or we could get better pricing if negotiated better?

Proac response series are for vocals. I have a pair of response 1S. They go well with SS as well as tubes.

My personal choice is the harbeth
Pretty much hands down

But only of buying from the UK
Indian prices of this particular brand may not be a fair value

If looking to buy in india
Spendor would be priced close ti international price since the company is now partly indian

Contact Amba at cadence for avavibility

If buying in India only then get the spendor

the pricing is way too much for a 2 way sealed speaker

frankly they are easy to make as well

choose your pick from troelsgravesen

import the kit

get it assembled here

i think it will be much more effective

there is also wilmslow audio in UK offering speaker kits + cabinets of your choice + built up crossover ....what else does one need ??

I would not spend so much money on these speakers - but its just my opinion

Wait some more and save money.

Or go 2nd hand

PS : all this is ofcourse depending on your friends view of the amounts mentioned. If its chick peas for him then.... choose your pick and have fun..

Thanks @magma and @mpw for the great piece of advice. Appreciate the response.

DIY is not my or my friend's cup of tea as be both are technically illiterate and have higher chances of screwing things up rather than taking it to completion.

Somehow have managed to get a location to audition Spendor at Audio Lounge Bangalore but thats only gonna happen post this COVID trauma subsides. So dont know how long the wait it.

On another note, is there any FM in Bangalore who owns ProAc tablette speakers which I can be offered an opportunity to listen? Of course post things settles down and life becomes business-as-usual.
Or harbeth P3ESR for that matter, although its out of our budget.

ProAc, Spendor and Harbeth are known for there stunning vocals but I think harbeth will have a slight upper hand but when you compare the price vfm product will be spendor. Harbeth is very expensive here in India so I dont think its a good option.When you compare ProAc it might have slight more detailed sound than spendor. You have to audition the two brands and decide.

Thanks @magma and @mpw for the great piece of advice. Appreciate the response.

DIY is not my or my friend's cup of tea as be both are technically illiterate and have higher chances of screwing things up rather than taking it to completion.

Somehow have managed to get a location to audition Spendor at Audio Lounge Bangalore but thats only gonna happen post this COVID trauma subsides. So dont know how long the wait it.

On another note, is there any FM in Bangalore who owns ProAc tablette speakers which I can be offered an opportunity to listen? Of course post things settles down and life becomes business-as-usual.
Or harbeth P3ESR for that matter, although its out of our budget.

On other forums i see good stories from the Harbeths / Proac and spendors - all are good

By spendor A1 - you mean the SA1 ?

The SA1 is very very good i understand...

With the course of events unfolding lately, it's practically impossible to get an in-store audition and hence my friend hv decide to hold on to the purchase. We are also considering to buy it in India and the quoted price is as follows:-
- proac tablette 10 - 135k with roughly 5% discount offered upfront.
- spendor A1 - 131k with roughly 15% discount offered upfront.
Could anyone please help if the pricing is fair or we could get better pricing if negotiated better?
Hi Kumar,

Why the Spendor A line and not the Classic series? What is the difference between the A line and the Classic in sound and price? The Harbeth P3ESR is classic BBC monitor, the comparable Spendor would be from the Classic line No? Good to know Spendors are competitive relative to international prices. I have to agree Harbeth is priced high in India, but you know you are getting the real deal. The way the Compact 7es nails the fat electric guitar tone is mind blowing.

Is Cadence the dealer for Spendor in Bangalore? Is audition possible? Is Spendor low power SET amp friendly? The Harbeth P3 ESR is SET friendly. Lots of questions, hope to get some good responses from fellow members.

One important thing to consider is the resale value as well as ease of resale.

With brands and classic products, there is joy of ownership, reasonable resale value and a fair certainty with what you can expect (like you said, DIY in wrong hands mess up things). Hopefully some service too!!! You will also have to deal with price drops when a manufacturer introduces a “new and improved” (aka I can hear a smidgen more detail, the sound was a tad more fleshed out and all the famous audio hahaha) version.

Rupee depreciation, the curse, can also be your friend.

Of course, in monetary terms it may all work out same! If you do a DIY speaker at 30000 Rs and it’s exactly sound wise perfect for you for now, three years from now to sell it may be a challenge when you want to sell it. But you may lose that same sum of money when you sell a Harbeth (for example) anyway!

Best is you wait out this restless period, hear something and then put your money to work.

I have heard so many speakers and systems, but always finally feel at home with BBC speakers and it’s limitations. Among the best VFM I have heard is Wharfdale Linton (typically forum chat, add some other product!

Look at the insane prices on old reputed CD players, record players, products like Naim Nait 2, and even BBC speakers! Just hope what you buy becomes a classic!

ProAc, Spendor and Harbeth are known for there stunning vocals but I think harbeth will have a slight upper hand but when you compare the price vfm product will be spendor. Harbeth is very expensive here in India so I dont think its a good option.When you compare ProAc it might have slight more detailed sound than spendor. You have to audition the two brands and decide.

Thx hifiramr for the response. Agree, harbeth has ridiculous pricing in India. UK price is close to 1.5 L INR which is nearly half on indian MRP.
Trying to get an audition for ProAc if any of the FMs own it here in Bangalore as couldnt find a dealer locally.
I am actually tied between ProAc and Spendor A1. In no hurry at all as I will be thoroughly weigh my options and take atleast 2-3 months in pulling the trigger.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back