Problem with the XTZ 12.17 Edge

Got the Fault Line detector and it shows no problem with the power supply, no issues.
Another problem i wanted to talk about is the bass is very boomy.
Now my room is on the first floor of my house, which is very irregular and it opens to the whole house down below. Also, it has bare tiles and bare walls which are ideal for reflecting sound.
I have tried placing the sub in a corner, it has increased output there but the boominess is still there. Cant experiment much with sub placement since the room is all messed up. ( my dedicated room is still a few months away ) So am i right in concluding that the room is a major issue here?

Got the Fault Line detector and it shows no problem with the power supply, no issues.
Now my room is on the first floor of my house, which is very irregular and it opens to the whole house down below. Also, it has bare tiles and bare walls which are ideal for reflecting sound.
I have tried placing the sub in a corner, it has increased output there but the boominess is still there. Cant experiment much with sub placement since the room is all messed up. ( my dedicated room is still a few months away ) So am i right in concluding that the room is a major issue here?

The XTZ won't be boomy by itself & it is because of the room accoustics . Pls try not placing the sub in the corner & place it a little away from the corner & it will sound right. From my experience whenever I have placed the subwoofers I have owned in the corner they would always sound loud & a little boomy. Take them away from the corners & they sound right. Even I have a space constraint but my subwoofer though not a XTZ sounds right to me & the same would work for you too..

The XTZ won't be boomy by itself & it is because of the room accoustics . Pls try not placing the sub in the corner & place it a little away from the corner & it will sound right. From my experience whenever I have placed the subwoofers I have owned in the corner they would always sound loud & a little boomy. Take them away from the corners & they sound right. Even I have a space constraint but my subwoofer though not a XTZ sounds right to me & the same would work for you too..
Try recalibrating the sub with eq 1. It lowers the bass extension and will reduce the boominess

Yes, by corner i mean, the extreme right of the setup and the sub is still approximately 2 feet away from the back wall ( and the side ) so its not near.
I have Q Acoustics 3050i FS which are boomy as well and they are away from the wall as well. I have never felt punch. So this all has lead me to believe the room is a issue here.
Some major bass demanding scenes like the 30 minute scene from Kong Skull Island where the soldiers see the King Kong for the first time and T Rex entry in Jurassic Park 1 can be felt down on the ground floor in my house. ( I dont have enough courage to try Edge of Tomorrow ) So the sound frequencies are spreading everywhere in the house and that maybe the reason? I believe that..

Last edited:
Turning up the sub trim to zero db in the avr helps a bit but i dont want the sub to be running that hot.
I usually keep it at -5 and 50% (or 45%) gain on the sub. The bass at this volume is plenty but the thump and punch is absent.

Allright bro, havent done that. I have simply switched Ref, Eq1, Eq2 during movie playback and found Eq2 to be providing more bass and i had it switch it down.
Eq 2 will be very boomy. I use ref and it’s sounds the best. Eq 1 will sound similar to ref but will lower the bass extension to counter boominess due to room gain.

Yes, by corner i mean, the extreme right of the setup and the sub is still approximately 2 feet away from the back wall ( and the side ) so its not near.
I have Q Acoustics 3050i FS which are boomy as well and they are away from the wall as well. I have never felt punch. So this all has lead me to believe the room is a issue here.
Some major bass demanding scenes like the 30 minute scene from Kong Skull Island where the soldiers see the King Kong for the first time and T Rex entry in Jurassic Park 1 can be felt down on the ground floor in my house. ( I dont have enough courage to try Edge of Tomorrow ) So the sound frequencies are spreading everywhere in the house and that maybe the reason? I believe that..

2 feet away from the back & side walls are good enough, infact mine is closer than that. I am quite sure the issue is with the room. You may have to re-run the room correction software again as Love4sound has suggested.
If you are worried about low frequencies spreading in the other rooms then you get sound path isolaters which when attached to the base of your subwoofer will isolate the vibrations of the subwoofer from the floor.

So your current problem has been resolved? If yes then please advise how, thank you.

So your current problem has been resolved? If yes then please advise how, thank you.
No, its still there. But there is no problem with the power supply or power line. The electrician visited twice and he couldnt figure out any problem and he is not a newbie as well. So i will just add a stabilizer now.

2 feet away from the back & side walls are good enough, infact mine is closer than that. I am quite sure the issue is with the room. You may have to re-run the room correction software again as Love4sound has suggested.
If you are worried about low frequencies spreading in the other rooms then you get sound path isolaters which when attached to the base of your subwoofer will isolate the vibrations of the subwoofer from the floor.
Hmm..can it be possible that because the room has opening to the whole house, the bass will sound boomy coz it spreads to a larger area?

Hmm..can it be possible that because the room has opening to the whole house, the bass will sound boomy coz it spreads to a larger area?
As per my knowledge a powerful sub will perform better in a bigger room. In small rooms they tend to be boomy. The bass should feel flat if it spreads to a larger area and not boomy

In a big room bass may sound inadequate but don't think it may sound boomy. In a small room, a powerful subwoofer may sound boomy & overwhelming. But placement also matters. Your XTZ seems like a powerful one. I guess re calibration or subwoofer placement may sort it out. Sound path isolaters for the subwoofer makes the bass tighter.

In a big room bass may sound inadequate but don't think it may sound boomy. In a small room, a powerful subwoofer may sound boomy & overwhelming. But placement also matters. Your XTZ seems like a powerful one. I guess re calibration or subwoofer placement may sort it out. Sound path isolaters for the subwoofer makes the bass tighter.
Changed my seating position and it sounds a bit better. More output i can say. I think there is no point in increasing the gain or the subtrim on the avr and i should stop trying to overcome the null with brute power.
So its definitely the placement issue and the room issue.

Placement , calibration..
Any size sub can be kept in a room..
Yeah but I am talking about power. I got the 12.17 first then the 10.17 edge. 12.17 was awesome in my room and the best but 10.17 edge was very boomy. No matter how much I tried tuning it the 700 watts rms was to much and the bass was overwhelming. Then finally I got the 10.17 having dual in mind. Size yes bigger the better but the edge has 700 watts rms which is very high for small to medium size room.

Yeah but I am talking about power. I got the 12.17 first then the 10.17 edge. 12.17 was awesome in my room and the best but 10.17 edge was very boomy. No matter how much I tried tuning it the 700 watts rms was to much and the bass was overwhelming. Then finally I got the 10.17 having dual in mind. Size yes bigger the better but the edge has 700 watts rms which is very high for small to medium size room.
Subwoofer volume has to be set properly..
For example using 100 watts of 12.17 won't over power in a room.

Changed my seating position and it sounds a bit better. More output i can say. I think there is no point in increasing the gain or the subtrim on the avr and i should stop trying to overcome the null with brute power.
So its definitely the placement issue and the room issue.

In case if you are calibrating with Audyssey XT 32 then pls make sure the mic is facing upwards towards the ceiling & should be atleast 2 feet away from the rear wall to avoid catching reflected sound. Even the subsequent mic positions should be just a few feet away from the MLP & not too far apart. Adjust the gain on the subwoofer while calibrating to what is prompted by Audyssey. The positions of the speakers or furniture while measuring should be the same while listening. Also try to make the room as silent as possible while the calibration is going on.
Basically after calibration the gain on the subwoofer or the subwoofer level in the avr should be such that you should get the right amount of bass to your liking, neither underwhelming nor overwhelming. You can also tweak the subwoofer level on the receiver after callibration to your liking. Hope you have set your front speakers as small with crossover at 80 hz as a standard which you can later experiment.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back