Problem with the XTZ 12.17 Edge

I don't disagree with this at all.

Where I do disagree is that you cannot make a big sub work in a small room because it will overwhelm the room. All else being equal (for simplicity sake, consider two subs from the same manufacturer which have identical characteristics other than driver size, same position in the room and average levels having been calibrated across the same frequencies), the bigger sub will put out the the same amount of acoustical energy in the room as the smaller sub as long as the measured SPL from both is the same. And, it is this acoustical energy and how it decays in the room that defines boominess (or lack thereof).

If you calibrate your system so that they're at the same average level, no it won't. Your perception of that however, as you say, may well be "night and day". And I expect that the perceptual difference will be down to the extra headroom now available.

Yes Liverpool, thats what I meant, agree with you. Bigger driver with more power would be overwhelming for a small room. Fully agree with your explanation. I feel the XTZ 12 should work for the OP since his HT area opens to another room.

Hi Bro, on your problem of current leak, any device which has 2 pin power plug has the potential to cause this problem. i think there is no issue with your subs or power supply. It might be some other device connected to your AVR, or the AVR itself as many AVR are 2 pronged. Did you checked touching your TV (back side) for any current leak. Also do check on your HDMI cables and network cable.

Last edited:
Yes Liverpool, thats what I meant, agree with you. Bigger driver with more power would be overwhelming for a small room. Fully agree with your explanation. I feel the XTZ 12 should work for the OP since his HT area opens to another room.
Actually, my room opens to the whole house and its a big house. But im liking how it sounds now. And it has come to a point where i cant watch movies without a sub now haha. I think, it slowly grows on you.
But im very sure the sound will improve once the room gets fixed. Its a absolutely horrible room for HT purpose but theres nothing i can do as of now.

Hi Bro, on your problem of current leak, any device which has 2 pin power plug has the potential to cause this problem. i think there is no issue with your subs or power supply. It might be some other device connected to your AVR, or the AVR itself as many AVR are 2 pronged. Did you checked touching your TV (back side) for any current leak. Also do check on your HDMI cables and network cable.
Yeah, the AVR is 2 pronged, even the TV is 2 pronged. So there will be current.
The sub connects to the avr so it has the current too.
The subwoofer is fine, coz there was no current on the back at the dealer's place. He is in a different city so i was reluctant to go there since the distance is long and i dont think he was lying as well coz he was insisting me to come with my avr and check it at his place.

Actually, my room opens to the whole house and its a big house. But im liking how it sounds now. And it has come to a point where i cant watch movies without a sub now haha. I think, it slowly grows on you.
But im very sure the sound will improve once the room gets fixed. Its a absolutely horrible room for HT purpose but theres nothing i can do as of now.
Yes Tuhin, its a good subwoofer with great reviews. It will slowly grow on you.:). You can attach the power plugs of your receiver or subwoofer to a 3 pin power strip like Targus which I have done . It has surge protection to a certain extent to 1000 joules & is good. Have been using them for over a year. All the best.

I have the spl meter app on the phone, but frankly, i cant move around much coz..the room haha..its a small room which opens to the whole house.
Did Audyssey, and i think the sub trim on the avr was -7, bumped it to -5 and i think its good for now. I also increased it to zero and it sounded much better but then i decreased it coz i dont want to run that hot.
Changed the seating position and i found one particular position which sounds the best and that is in the extreme corner of the room. I dont think -11 will do the job as i remember the sub had almost no output then, maybe increasing the gain ( to 3'o clock ) might do the job with -11 on the avr

Hi bro.
Here is what I generally do whenever setting up a sub.
First run audyssey and set subwoofer gain on the sub to get 75db level as per SW level matching by audyssey setup. This is important to get optimum bass measurement for audyssey processing. Then complete the entire audyssey setup process. Audyssey will then automatically set the subwoofer trim level, which is usually lower. Increase the subwoofer trim level by 4 to 5db. This is a good starting point.
If there is phase option available, can try it too. Next is to check the subwoofer distance in AVR setting. You can try to increase/decrease the distance by a couple of feet (in steps of 0.5 feet) and listen each time. Do use some tracks or clips which you are quite familiar with.

Please don't use the phone app to measure subwoofer levels. It will never give correct reading. It will show lower value and if you match it to your other speaker level, you will actually increase the sub level way too much and sound will be boomy.

Hope this helps.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back