project rpm 1 genie turntable

haven't received the PM as yet.
Can you please also mention the price range for the other models you have mentioned?
Do you carry rega as well?

hi anm

please check now, it must have been through by now. no i do not carry rega.
regards,
abhishek.

haven't received the PM as yet.
Can you please also mention the price range for the other models you have mentioned?
Do you carry rega as well?

hi anm, stevieboy, nirrej

the project rpm 1 genie can be upgraded with the 2M red cartridge and you may add the project phonobox separately. both of these upgrades will improve the performance of the turntable substantially.

its not worth thinking about upgrading the arm, better to go for a higher end turntable like the xpression 3 or the xperience superpack.

the genie2 cannot play 78 rpms, using adaptor for this purpose is a tedious job because you need to remove the belt and the existing adaptor every time you change between record speed. the genie2 comes with an adaptor which can be used for both 33 and 45 rpms. i think this is a small drawback considering the price you are paying for the genie. and also the fact that most of the records are 33 rpms as indicated by stevieboy.

dust covers are expensive, so one can be fabricated very easily using acrylic sheets which are widely available. they just need to be glued at right angles to form sort of a box.

regarding the prices, i have responded to anm's pm.

forum friends staying in bangalore can come over for an audition. people love the genie2 for its sound and looks at the price.

regards,
abhishek.

well anm,

you've got your answers :) i'd add one further recommendation to this. make the jump from 14.5k to bout 20k or so and go for the debut III model which has the built in USB and speed control. (abhishek can give the correct model and price). speed control would improve performance by quite a bit! and built in usb (and phono i think) would allow you to record to computer with a freeware software plentily available on google. well worth the extra 6k or so over a couple of years.

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

this one is with electro speed change i think it also has the speed control function which maintains speed at 33rpm

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

this one allows you to record with its usb phono

and both come with dust cover :)

Last edited:
probably cos there's no electronic speed change in the usb model. i've got a speed box external, that changes speed between 33 & 45 electronically. same functioning in the debut, internally i guess. abhishek will confirm if there's a speed change or not in the other debut i've mentioned so wait and see...

well anm,

make the jump from 14.5k to bout 20k or so and go for the debut III model which has the built in USB and speed control. .

and both come with dust cover :)

the Rpm 1 genie 2 model is regarded by many purists as a better model than the debut III series, because of the unique design of the motor being completely decoupled from the plinth. This helps in vastly improving the sound quality as there will be less vibrations caused by the motor.

USB is not a necessity in a turntable, though a speed control switch may be an essential luxury. but if most of your vinyls are 33rpm(which should be the case because most of us will be listening to music made during the 70s and 80s which is considered as the golden age of music across many genres like rock, indian film music, pop,etc) then you will not be required to change the rpm frequently.

Last edited:
a decoupled motor would indeed be a big plus!!!

speed box even if not used for speed change runs the tt stable at the chosen speed so its a good improvement. i dont use the speed box to change speeds between 33 and 45 cos i dont have any 45s, but at 33 the sound is better than without a speedbox cos the table is running stable.

the genie, the debut 3, the debut 3 phono usb and the 1 xpression 3 does not have electronic speed change.
whereas the debut 3 phono and the 1 xpression 3 comfort has electronic speed change between 33 and 45 rpm and manual for 78 rpm.

all these models have decoupled motor to reduce vibration. but the genie has a completely separate motor assembly which is physically connected to the body only by the belt. so thats a big plus point it features.

regards,
abhishek.

ok - so what I understand is that I can live without auto speed control and go for genie?

Since I do not have a vinyl collection, how can I build it? Cost of a vinyl record seems prohibitively high if buying new!

regards

ok - Since I do not have a vinyl collection, how can I build it? Cost of a vinyl record seems prohibitively high if buying new!

regards

start by collecting old vinyl from uncles and grandfathers who will defnitely have some of their old collection stacked away somwhere in the house. Not all of them will be in good condition, but its an easy and almost FREE way to start.
later maybe you can try buying from second hand dealers. their prices are very reasonable compared to the CD prices.
I promise you this is going to be a much better hobby than those schooldays when we used to collect stamps.:)

hmm - only have some collection from gandfather, which is currently with uncle and he is not too keen to hand it over to me. There is an old philips tt as well. I asked a few times over few years but not clear whether I would get it - though he never uses it.

Seems like vinyl is making a string comeback in India as well. One can see TT being sold off the rack at many places these days. Very tempting --- Unfortunately I don't see LP's available anywhere.

Ok I just picked up the Pro-ject Genie Mark 3 with the the 2M Red cartridge (Not the OM 3E) here in the UK for GBP176 at Richer Sounds.
Not a steal deal but at 14K INR equivalent I think the deal is sweet because of the 2M Red cartridge. Waiting to get home to compare it with the 13 yr old plasticky Kenwood P110!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back