Projection on white wall is better than spandex screen?

ranjithkumar10

Hey everyone, I recently purchased XGIMI H1 projector after doing a lot of research. I've been using it for more than a month by projecting on a white wall and it looked awesome! Crisp 1080 projector!
I thought it would look even better on a fixed frame screen! So I hired a carpenter, got a 100-inch diagonal frame done, bought 4-way stretchable white spandex material, stretched and fixed it to the frame. It looked like this!

IMG_20180816_231409 (2).jpg

The frame looked amazing but the projected image on the screen is not as good as the wall. It looked a bit washed out and it is not crisp anymore. It looks like a 720p projector now! It has some kind of dreamy glow effect now. I think the white color light is being spread out on the screen. Colors are not as clear on the wall.

Also, The screen looks a bit transparent and light is being projected onto wall behind the screen a bit.

I'm planning to use a coat of white paint or grey paint on the spandex screen? Will it help me fix it?

Has anyone experienced this issue with white screens? Please help me fix this.

Here's a comparison between wall and screen.

IMG_20180817_120648 (1).jpg

The difference is not clearly visible in the captured photos but there's a clear difference in real.

Few more photos of my screen -

IMG_20180816_234414 (1).jpg

IMG_20180816_233311 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180816_231409 (3).jpg
    IMG_20180816_231409 (3).jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 11
Also, The screen looks a bit transparent and light is being projected onto wall behind the screen a bit.

I'm planning to use a coat of white paint or grey paint on the spandex screen? Will it help me fix it?

There's your answer, reflected light from behind your screen is messing it up for you. Spandex is needed only for a acoustically transparent screen. You don't seem to have any speakers behind it. So what was the need? If you must use spandex use a (white) blackout cloth immediately behind it, else move the screen a bit forward and paint the rear black. In the second method you will loose some brightness but the screen will still be AT (if that's needed).

There's your answer, reflected light from behind your screen is messing it up for you. Spandex is needed only for a acoustically transparent screen. You don't seem to have any speakers behind it. So what was the need? If you must use spandex use a (white) blackout cloth immediately behind it, else move the screen a bit forward and paint the rear black. In the second method you will loose some brightness but the screen will still be AT (if that's needed).
Hi Naveen, I did not know any other material for the projector screen. Can you tell me what material is used normally?
Also, Do you think that painting the screen with a coat of white paint would fix it?

Hi Naveen, I did not know any other material for the projector screen. Can you tell me what material is used normally?
Also, Do you think that painting the screen with a coat of white paint would fix it?
No, as mentioned earlier, you could use a blackout cloth as a second layer behind your Spandex to enhance the experience. You should be able to procure it from curtain shops

Believe you must have stretched the spandex too much.. When i was doing the AT screen for the first time, i used a single layer white spandex and stretch it too much, so there was a light loss seeping thru the screen.. I was suggested by members to use double layer spandex.. (white spandex stretched over black spandex).. When i did it for the second time, i gently stretched the spandex.. Now, i don't have the light seeping thru the screen..

I use the same projector.. Here is a pic of my 100 inch screen..

3IfTUOc.jpg

dKZpntP.jpg

bxu2DPF.jpg

Did you play with your projector settings ? You can change image brightness contrast and also temperature. Adjust the temperature till whites look whites (no yellow or blue tint, called as white balancing). Wouldn't recommend painting the spandex it may or may not hold and it may become soggy and droopy.

Thanks guys, I'm planning to use a blackout cloth as a second layer behind the current spandex layer or use a different screen instead of spandex. I'll let you know the results.

Hey everyone, I recently purchased XGIMI H1 projector after doing a lot of research. I've been using it for more than a month by projecting on a white wall and it looked awesome! Crisp 1080 projector!
I thought it would look even better on a fixed frame screen! So I hired a carpenter, got a 100-inch diagonal frame done, bought 4-way stretchable white spandex material, stretched and fixed it to the frame. It looked like this!

View attachment 29548

The frame looked amazing but the projected image on the screen is not as good as the wall. It looked a bit washed out and it is not crisp anymore. It looks like a 720p projector now! It has some kind of dreamy glow effect now. I think the white color light is being spread out on the screen. Colors are not as clear on the wall.

Has anyone experienced this issue with white screens? Please help me fix this.

Here's a comparison between wall and screen.

View attachment 29550

The difference is not clearly visible in the captured photos but there's a clear difference in real.

Few more photos of my screen -

View attachment 29552

View attachment 29551
Did you purchase your projector from AliExpress or Amazon India?

Blackout cloth is also white in color. The light will still reflect off it, giving you that glow.

Put a non reflective, non transparent Matt black cloth behind the screen. That should get rid of this issues.

Believe you must have stretched the spandex too much.. When i was doing the AT screen for the first time, i used a single layer white spandex and stretch it too much, so there was a light loss seeping thru the screen.. I was suggested by members to use double layer spandex.. (white spandex stretched over black spandex).. When i did it for the second time, i gently stretched the spandex.. Now, i don't have the light seeping thru the screen..

3IfTUOc.jpg

dKZpntP.jpg

bxu2DPF.jpg

Pretty good @elangoas . Where did you buy the spandex fabric from? Looking to replace my laminate screen. Please help!

Pretty good @elangoas . Where did you buy the spandex fabric from? Looking to replace my laminate screen. Please help!

Thanks @vij . I sourced the spandex from textile town - Tiruppur, Tamilnadu, thru a friend as well as a FM.. It is locally referred as Lycra, spandex material..

Check around town with these names, if you aren't able to locate them, let me know.. I will check with my friend if he would offer help..

@elangoas Do you have a flat surface behind the screen material or is it hollow?

Thanks @vij . I sourced the spandex from textile town - Tiruppur, Tamilnadu, thru a friend as well as a FM.. It is locally referred as Lycra, spandex material..

Check around town with these names, if you aren't able to locate them, let me know.. I will check with my friend if he would offer help..

I was able to find a shop that has Lycra - but it's cotton based and no spandex. So confused. Easiest way(for me) seems to be to ask your source to ship it to me. I am from Hyderabad. But how feasible is this? Seems like a lot of trouble for the person:oops:

@elangoas Do you have a flat surface behind the screen material or is it hollow?

This is the screen material that i used - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-acoustic-transparent-screen.67092/page-2#post-743619

Does you material look alike ? If not, then it may not be right material..

I was able to find a shop that has Lycra - but it's cotton based and no spandex. So confused. Easiest way(for me) seems to be to ask your source to ship it to me. I am from Hyderabad. But how feasible is this? Seems like a lot of trouble for the person:oops:

No worries.. I will check with the member if he can offer help and PM you..

3IfTUOc.jpg

dKZpntP.jpg

bxu2DPF.jpg
Please could you tell me more about this double layer spandex material and where I could buy it in India? Many thanks in advance

Please could you tell me more about this double layer spandex material and where I could buy it in India? Many thanks in advance

I procured this Spandex material from Tiruppur, textile town of Tamilnadu. Matte white stretched over matte black spandex..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back