Projector Customs Duty Question

techcheat

I have bought a DLP projector in United States Optoma HD66 for roughly 600 USD and would be bringing it with me to India. My question is what is the duty that I will be charged over the 25000 Rs free allowance. For e.g. if the total value of goods that I am carrying is 35,000 Rs, than how much duty do I pay?
I am getting two answers, one is that 10,000 Rs is dutiable goods over the free allowance. On Mumbai customs site it says remaining goods would be charged at 35.7% and on Jet Airways website its stating 60%. I will be coming to Delhi but need your opinion on this.

Customs

I think the duty is around 25%, but you will be charged much less as rightly said that you will get the benefit of allowance while that is a another story that you may end up paying not more then Rs.5,000/- if you take care of the customs, they will be in queue to oblige you.

V.

Duty is approx 37%, I.e. 35% duty and various surcharges.

If you get something worth* 40,000 , you will have to pay duty on 15k .

* DO make sure you carry original receipt to prove that cost is 40k otherwise customs will value it much higher.

Again the value of goods is not cast in stone-for example I may buy clothes worth $200 for my own use, but not declare them. If the projector is the only thing of value that youre bringing then it has a value so close to 25K that they may not even bother you.

i got my epson 8100 earlier this year unpacked inside my suitcase. did not declare it and paid zero duties. ofcourse the suitcase was quite large and it was bubblewrapped. suitcase was marked fragile on all sides!

My bro got my optoma hd66 box packed last month ,no duties,no questions,straight entry. You shouldn't worry about a $600 PJ buddy.

I got the projector from US through one of my good friend, who carried it personally for me. Projector was around 35K. My friend was having few other items worth 15K. They just charged him Rs.4000 without receipt ;)

Last edited:
bring it with ur personal baggage ,there is 95% chance that u can bring it without duty, if ur in that 5% u have to face the consequences i mean the duty charge ............
hope ur a lucky man...........

Last edited:
So should I not declare on the custom form. I am debating whether to put it in my carry on luggage or my baggage. I dont wanna take the risk of unpacking it. In addition I have a cs20 speaker. So total damage 35k. My understanding is that I pay 37% on the 10k thats over my 25k allowance so total damage should be 4k. Please confirm as someone stated that I need to pay 15k for 40k worth items which doesnt account for the free allowance.
Also can I bring electronic items in carry on bag from US like HDMI cables, etc.

Got my Panasonic AE-2000U ($2600) from the US and paid zero duty. If the projector is the only 'big ticket' item that you will be carrying, then I suggest that you not bother declaring it and simply walk thru the green channel. Worse case scenario is that you get stopped and your bag(s) are checked. In that case you simply state that you got the projector as a gift and as far as you know it cost less than the duty free allowance, ie. Rs. 25,000/-

PS: Generally customs officials don'tt bother too much with passengers coming from the US anyhow.

Last edited:
The Customs on electronics is 27.5%, which i paid on the projector last week when it arrived to india via courier (UPS). Delhi wont attract any octroi so you need not worry about any other things.

As many have pointed, you wont be even asked about the duty. The duty will be charged on the invoice amount which many times get doctored and ppl get away with less duty. But you may not want this for such a small item.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Got my Panasonic AE-2000U ($2600) from the US and paid zero duty. If the projector is the only 'big ticket' item that you will be carrying, then I suggest that you not bother declaring it and simply walk thru the green channel. Worse case scenario is that you get stopped and your bag(s) are checked. In that case you simply state that you got the projector as a gift and as far as you know it cost less than the duty free allowance, ie. Rs. 25,000/-

PS: Generally customs officials don'tt bother too much with passengers coming from the US anyhow.

I guess you were lucky .. the customs last year checked for the pricing of my player on the net. I dont think its so easy as stating the price . I was coming from the US.

I guess you were lucky .. the customs last year checked for the pricing of my player on the net. I dont think its so easy as stating the price . I was coming from the US.
I suppose I must be a very very lucky person then. Over the past two decades I have brought numerous electronic items from the US and have pretty much never paid any duty on any of them. Although, back in the 1980's & 1990's there used to be some stress of customs, but now, atleast over the last 5 - 6 yrs, customs has never stopped me or even questioned me. The key is to simply walk thru the green channel with confidence.

The key is to simply walk thru the green channel with confidence.

Does not work at Mumbai at least. Now there are two layers of X-Ray screening for incoming baggage. First baggage is screened before loading on belt (inline screening) and second time while walking through Green line.

And ANY electronic item is highlighted. It all depends if you get pulled up or not. usually for uncommon items customs is not aware of prices so chances of trouble are less.

E.g. when I brought AVR, they could not get what a "HDMI Receiver" does. And they accepted original receipt as true value.

Does not work at Mumbai at least. Now there are two layers of X-Ray screening for incoming baggage. First baggage is screened before loading on belt (inline screening) and second time while walking through Green line.

And ANY electronic item is highlighted. It all depends if you get pulled up or not. usually for uncommon items customs is not aware of prices so chances of trouble are less.

E.g. when I brought AVR, they could not get what a "HDMI Receiver" does. And they accepted original receipt as true value.

I agree - every time I come thru' mumbai there is a customs guy standing at the green channel and depending on the no. of bags you have he makes you place the baggage on the xray belt. After that it is your gift of communication/agressiveness/luck etc. that can either make them open the bags or let you go. Only times I have avoided the x-ray are when I have only a single small checked in bag and there is a long line at the x-ray - they selectively pull people aside and let them go.
Cheers
Sid

If something turns up in inline screening, they mark the bag with a chalk. Customs at Green line use that + Judgment (Large bag, Single traveler etc etc) to pick up baggage for screening.

If something turns up in inline screening, they mark the bag with a chalk. Customs at Green line use that + Judgment (Large bag, Single traveler etc etc) to pick up baggage for screening.

Simply pathetic - Customs is concerned about simple travelers with small electronic goods - when guys/gals like Raja, Radiia etc are sending billions of hard earned Indian money overseas. Pennywise - poundfoolish so as to speak.
Cheers
Sid

In the past I have used a standard line when stopped by Bangalore customs-I tell them why are you harassing small fry like me and letting go scot free the mules from Singapore with all those gold biscuits? This usually works.

Does the HD66 sold on Amazon auto switch 110-220v. It doesnt say say though optoma's website says its 110-220v autosensing. Dont want to roast it in India.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back