What is the customs duty anyway...

terrible

I know, this has been talked about ad nauseam here, but the situation with custom duty is so unclear. I have just got off a long argument with DHL customer service about this https://www.flashrouters.com/streamlocator (router). I paid $97 and the freight forwarder charged me $35.10 which in toto is approx Rs. 9900. However, the duty I am paying on this is Rs. 8198, which is 82%. Is this even in accordance with the duties laid down in law? What is the redressal process for this? I recollect, till a few months back, with UPS, I had to give them bills from my end, which would be presented at customs and they would levy around 42-43%, which seemed to be the going rate. Is there any explanation for this drastic levy that is going on?

If you don’t have a IEC code, duty charged is 75%. In addition to this there will be a handling fee by the courier. So 82% total is broadly correct. The previous time you may have lucked out :)

If you don’t have a IEC code, duty charged is 75%. In addition to this there will be a handling fee by the courier. So 82% total is broadly correct. The previous time you may have lucked out :)
To be clear you mean, if one is not registered as an importer, the levy is not going to be the usual even if it is for personal use? I sure have lucked out then. But none of the customs duty websites clarify this.

As per some customs circulars, IEC is not required for individuals who import goods for personal use. The custom duty on such imports should be levied as per HSN code. But unfortunately this is not the case,

People are overcharged in the absence of any clear cut instructions.

The HSN code 9804 which is applied where the individual is not having an IEC is only and only meant for goods imported as gifts, not otherwise.

So the only workaround is apply for an IEC which is a dam easy job. One won't be able to explain to assessing office what their law says.

Cases where Export Import Code (EIC) is not mandatory​

According to the latest circular issued by the government, IEC is not mandatory for all traders who are registered under GST. In all such cases, the PAN of the trader shall be construed as new IEC code for the purpose of import and export. Import Export Code (IEC) isn’t required to be taken in case the goods exported or imported is for personal purposes and isn’t used for any commercial purpose. Export/ Import done by the Government of India Departments and Ministries, Notified Charitable institutions need not require getting Import Export Code.

I picked this up from one of the websites. Obviously, the cash strapped government does not give a shit about its own rules.

Importing anything is a big Hassel now. Even simple things like stylus, belts you end up paying 8k to 9k. If you buy from EMS speed post your consignment is not even delivered :)-

Cases where Export Import Code (EIC) is not mandatory​

I picked this up from one of the websites. Obviously, the cash strapped government does not give a shit about its own rules.
Yes, but based on post # 4 by prem, you will have to pay 75% customs duty!

I discovered through my accountant, that I have an IEC code. It's my PAN number. There's even a government letterhead. So with this could I import with regular duty levied and not the 75%?

I don’t know if with IEC, you can import anything or is it only as per what the memorandum of your company says. Pl check with your CA.

I discovered through my accountant, that I have an IEC code. It's my PAN number. There's even a government letterhead. So with this could I import with regular duty levied and not the 75%?

Based on the above (IEC being your PAN), it is my understanding that you have one as an individual (and not under a company name). If my experience is anything to go by, that should be enough for duties to be charged as per the appropriate HS code for the item being imported.

I don’t know if with IEC, you can import anything or is it only as per what the memorandum of your company says. Pl check with your CA.
So my accountant tells me that my IEC was acquired in 2019 when my services in other countries were rendered as export.

Based on the above (IEC being your PAN), it is my understanding that you have one as an individual (and not under a company name). If my experience is anything to go by, that should be enough for duties to be charged as per the appropriate HS code for the item being imported.
I run a proprietorship, so I and my company are the same thing.

I didn't find this thread earlier so I made this post here: Fedex calculated higher duty under wrong HSCODE

What is the process for grievance redressal? Go direct to Govt Customs ? Because Fedex has been wasting my time with no replies to repeat emails or parrot responses.

If anyone knows a good consumer lawyer please DM me his contact - I want to apply some pressure on them.

What is the process for grievance redressal? Go direct to Govt Customs ? Because Fedex has been wasting my time with no replies to repeat emails or parrot responses.

If anyone knows a good consumer lawyer please DM me his contact - I want to apply some pressure on them.

First try sending your grievance to these two.

How to import a used product like DAC from US ?
Is there any way to save on customs duties on an india based individual buying from another US based individual ?

Last edited:
I didn't find this thread earlier so I made this post here: Fedex calculated higher duty under wrong HSCODE

Pls put the issue on Twitter and tag FedEx local and global. If the Indian Consumer complaints has as account on Twitter then add them too.
If they have calculated wrong duty as per the code then they should rectify the same.

How to import a used product like DAC from US ?
Is there any way to save on customs duties on an india based individual buying from another US based individual ?
Used goods are not allowed to import through courier service.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back