The Customs Duty thread

loud speakers will be expensive but I think we will soon have free trade agreement with UK* so probably will get little bit cheaper or around more or less same price.
*not confirmed
regards

loud speakers will be expensive but I think we will soon have free trade agreement with UK* so probably will get little bit cheaper or around more or less same price.
*not confirmed
regards
I think this is applicable only if bought from a dealer/outlet in india

Just imported some speakers, here is how the duty was charged.

20% basic duty, 10% on 20% = 22%, then add 22% to item value 100% = 122% then take 18% of 122% = 21.96%. Add 22% and 21.96% = Effective total duty = 43.96%.

Contrary to my previous posts it seems that now duty is indeed levied on item value. In the above 100% is item value. Freight and insurance are apparently not included. Analogous was correct I believe.

Apart from duty I was charged demurrage. An additional 10,000 INR was charged but I don't know for what. This was paid just a few days ago so it is current duty, I do not know how this will change in the future.

I have an IEC code.

Hope this helps.

Just imported some speakers, here is how the duty was charged.

20% basic duty, 10% on 20% = 22%, then add 22% to item value 100% = 122% then take 18% of 122% = 21.96%. Add 22% and 21.96% = Effective total duty = 43.96%.

Contrary to my previous posts it seems that now duty is indeed levied on item value. In the above 100% is item value. Freight and insurance are apparently not included. Analogous was correct I believe.

Apart from duty I was charged demurrage. An additional 10,000 INR was charged but I don't know for what. This was paid just a few days ago so it is current duty, I do not know how this will change in the future.

I have an IEC code.

Hope this helps.
Most helpful - and also saddening in many ways to see the amount of burden one needs to bear to pursue this hobby

I bought a NoS Tesla vacuum tube for my amp from a dealer in Germany.
It was dispatched on the 4th February through DHL and has reached India and is with the Customs apparently since several days.
I have not had any communication from them and am feeling a bit concerned.

DHL Germany write: The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: https://www.indiapost.gov.in/_layouts/15/dop.portal.tracking/trackconsignment.aspx
This link has no update or info on the parcel other than what DHL Germany provided.

Grateful for any suggestions on what I can do (other than to wait)?

Last edited:
It was dispatched on the 4th February through DHL and has reached India and is with the Customs apparently since several days.

DHL Germany write: The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: https://www.indiapost.gov.in/_layouts/15/dop.portal.tracking/trackconsignment.aspx
This link has no update or info on the parcel other than what DHL Germany provided.

You send an email to [email protected]. They did respond back to me and released my vinyl which were stuck for many days. But they did charge me customs duty.

There's nothing to be done, just wait it out. They take anywhere between 3 days to 3 weeks to clear the goods. Relax, have a cuppa, it'll come through.

It was sent through DHL, not sure how India Post will be involved; and we don't know which customs house it is being held in!
DHL Germany informs it has been handed over to India post on the 4th February, their delivery partner in India.
I have written to India post as suggested by @joell.
The stoic wait continues

Okay , this was the same status for my LPs that I had ordered from Germany . They had shipped to India on Feb2nd and till Feb17th , the status read "The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization."
It was only on 17th , that they received the package and sent it to Bangalore ..
Presntly the status reads "Customs Receive" . Dont know when it will be released !

Hi, any ideas how much is the customs duty to import components like Class D amplifier Boards and Power Supplies ? Does it differ significantly from fully built amplifiers ?

Hi, any ideas how much is the customs duty to import components like Class D amplifier Boards and Power Supplies ? Does it differ significantly from fully built amplifiers ?

It may attract upto 43% Customs duty including IGST. The valuation of the goods may depend upon the assessing officer, if he feels it is undervalued. Many of the members are saying duty may go upto 78 %!! Actually , its is not. The final duty is calculated on the value assessed by the customs officer and it may seem that the duty charged is 78% or more.

Suppose, you are importing a digital amplifier having value Rs.10,000/-. In a scenario the customs officer increase the value of the goods say Rs.18,000/- , therefore, the total duty charged @43% is Rs.7,740/- which is 77.4% of Rs.10,000/-.

Always, ask for Bill of Entry from the courier company where you can see the actual value of goods assessed.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back