The Customs Duty thread

I have an apology to make to everyone reading this thread and to the customs department too.

The duty tax charged for my amp was 52%

I am not good at math and neglected to do the actual calculation to verify %. I assumed it was 75%.

My mistake and sincere apologies

I have an apology to make to everyone reading this thread and to the customs department too.

I am not good at math and neglected to do the actual calculation to verify %. I assumed it was 75%.

Congratulations on the amp !
From what I heard from prem, it takes time to breakin so enjoy the process :)

This was suggested by some FM, I tried and even got a user name and password registered, but it is not possible for individuals who are not in the import -export business it seems. Hopefully my tax contribution will be used well :)
I did the same thing btw, if something changes in between then I am not aware but logically there is no restriction on obtaining a IEC, whether you do import/export or not. Anyways, it's good to have one in case you import something again.

Congratulations on the amp !
From what I heard from prem, it takes time to breakin so enjoy the process :)
Thanks @arj,
Equipment break in and my ears tuning in:) 8hours of the estimated 140 hours (from @prem ’s experience with this)

A few FM have asked about my impressions and I don’t want to derail the Customs import duty discussion here with my subjective take on this amp. I will look for an existing thread discussing Croft to share this.

Is this 52% on cost or CIF value? Do you know why they termed it as luxury items?

Is this 52% on cost or CIF value? Do you know why they termed it as luxury items?
It’s 52% of cost of the amp.
Shipping by FedEx is separate.
I am not familiar with CIF value. What is this?
Re: Luxury item classification I can only guess (not sure) - if it is non essential to the country or not life saving etc it could be seen as a luxury product (and you shall pay for these)

By the way I just now noticed the 5 other threads below here on customs duty! Seems to be a popular topic.

I thought this was a joke, but this is a serious suggestion to help with amp burn in !
Thanks.
actually if you want a non intrusive burn in, play any music ( ideally with bass as well). keep the speakers close together and drivers facing each other and wire 1 speaker out of phase.

You can play it all night long and the sounds will cancel

actually if you want a non intrusive burn in, play any music ( ideally with bass as well). keep the speakers close together and drivers facing each other and wire 1 speaker out of phase.

You can play it all night long and the sounds will cancel
This would be for burning in speakers or the amp?
Also I am curious about keeping 1 speaker wire out of phase (leave it dangling or reverse the connection?)

It’s 52% of cost of the amp.
Shipping by FedEx is separate.
I am not familiar with CIF value. What is this?
Re: Luxury item classification I can only guess (not sure) - if it is non essential to the country or not life saving etc it could be seen as a luxury product (and you shall pay for these)

By the way I just now noticed the 5 other threads below here on customs duty! Seems to be a popular topic.
Hi, CIF is cost insurance freight, this how customs duty is levied. This takes the cost of the product, + the cost of shipping, + the cost of insurance. The duty is applied on all three. If insurance is not paid on the invoice, the customs official will often assume 2% and add it to the value.

This would be for burning in speakers or the amp?
Also I am curious about keeping 1 speaker wire out of phase (leave it dangling or reverse the connection?)
for anything. switch the red and black terminals on just one speaker

Hi, would you mind posting the revised duty % based on CIF instead of cost?

Hi all, thought it would be a good idea to make a customs duty thread where people can post what they imported and the total duty paid. Please do participate, you do not need to name the product or price if you don't wish to, instead you could simply list type of product and the duty paid in % on the CIF value. It doesn't have to be a recent import but please do post when you imported it or at least a rough idea of the timeline, recent or if not then an approximate year would be great. I'll start -

Recently imported some speaker cables, total duty paid - 30% approx, CIF value.

Not restricted to A/V products, feel free to post the duty paid of any item. That's why I have posted this in the general lounge. I hope we can all learn from this.
duty charges will cost approx 50-70% of the price of the product itself.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back