The Customs Duty thread

Hello Folks,
I was expecting a shipment to be classified under HSCODE 95062900 (water sports equipment) at 28% approx but Fedex calculated the duty on shipment classified under 9804 "since this is for individual". The duty on HSCODE 9804 was calculated at more than 38% IIRC and I ended up paying some 8000/- more than anticipated.

google says:
:
HS Codes of Heading 9804 : All dutiable articles, intended for personal use, imported by post or air, and exempted from any prohibition in respect of the imports thereof under the Foreign Trade (Development & Regulation) Act, 1992 but excluding articles falling under heading 9803
Who is right?

HS Codes of Heading 9804 : All dutiable articles, intended for personal use, imported by post or air, and exempted from any prohibition in respect of the imports thereof under the Foreign Trade (Development & Regulation) Act, 1992 but excluding articles falling under heading 9803
This is correct for individual importers without IEC. If you import as a business with an IE Code you can get away with a lower prescribed duty.

This is correct for individual importers without IEC. If you import as a business with an IE Code you can get away with a lower prescribed duty.
So that means everyone here importing Hifi gear and all other stuff should also be paying duties under HSCODE 9804 only? What is the experience of fellow forum members here on this topic?

I think in the past 1.5 years i have been levied around 40% for everything from cables to amplifiers .

I remember being charged around 40% for most items that I have imported, whether from Amazon or Borderlinx or directly from a vendor like minidsp.

How to import a used product like DAC from US ?
Is there any way to save on customs duties on individual buying from individual ?

Is there any way to save on customs duties on individual buying from individual ?
Well, this exactly is what I am looking for, a used dac from eBay. Customs duty? Or carry it as luggage?
ZzZzZz got any info?

unless you handcarry it, no other way. if used it is banned else they will check the value from the net and charge on that

This is the second thread that I've seen "handcarry" used as a silver bullet to save customs duty. What am I missing???

Recently I recd headphones as replacement under warranty from China and the shipment was handled by FedEx. Had to exchange a few emails and the original purchase invoice before the custom officials accepted, but still I was charged duty of around 8% on my original purchase invoice value.

IF You know someone in customs department then it is possible:) sometimes they ask how much you are willing to pay

Last edited:
There is a 50k limit if you handcarry back...so duty only on above that
I don't think this is a blanket limit. There are conditions to be satisfied. And the limits vary depending on those conditions. And the type of items that are allowed also vary.

I don't think this is a blanket limit. There are conditions to be satisfied. And the limits vary depending on those conditions. And the type of items that are allowed also vary.
Arriving Passengers
1. What are the Duty Free Allowances and entitlements on arrival?
Ans. The Duty Free Allowances and entitlements are as follows:
I. On arrival from countries other than Nepal, Bhutan or Myanmar:
A. Indian Residents and foreigners residing in India:
(a) used personal effects and travel souvenirs;
(b) articles up to the value of Rs.50,000 carried on person or accompanied baggage, excluding the following: 1. Fire arms. Page 4 of 19 2. Cartridges of fire arms exceeding 50. 3. Cigarettes exceeding 100 sticks or cigars exceeding 25 or tobacco exceeding 125 gms. 4. Alcoholic liquor or wines in excess of two litres. 5. Gold or silver in any form other than ornaments. 6. Flat Panel (Liquid Crystal Display/Light-Emitting Diode/ Plasma) television.

From the official customs guide

Handcarry is not necessary although its generally less suspicious.

does a DAC fall in this ? i know of folks who have carried Audio and Photo equipment ..even a cycle in Mumbai/ Bangalore with no questions asked.

does a DAC fall in this ? i know of folks who have carried Audio and Photo equipment ..even a cycle in Mumbai/ Bangalore with no questions asked.
I've learnt one definite fact after living in India for all these years - despite rules/laws etc, most regulations here can be worked your way depending on:
a. The roll of the dice by a higher being.
b. The ability to grease palms.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back