Projector Issues

Re: Import Or Grey Market

Hello Sanjay,

Thank you very much for the information.

I think Epson projector will be more better in my budget but i may end up considering Panasonic.

As santhosh is suggesting that there could be warranty and related issues if we import then under such situation is it better to buy from the grey market, as the saving could be more?

In Mumbai, does anyone know the best grey market to source projectors other then Heera Paana Market?

V.

Dear Mr. Arindam,

Please find the enclosed quotation below along with our company profile attached with this mail for your purchase of

Projector Panaosnic PT-AE4000E .

Panasonic PT-AE4000E 3LCD Projector

MARKET PRICE : 1,75,000.00

DISCOUNTED RATE : 1,30,000.00 + TAXES (12.5% VAT & 5.5% Octroi if Applicable)

FREE : No.1 Brand of Asia (ProBright) Motorised Projector Screen with Remote Control 4 X 6 (84 Diagonal)

Hi Gain, Brightness 99.99% Polarity Matt White. (Fabric : Made in Italy), Rooster Mechanism , Jampo Motor

worth Rs. 26,000.00

Warranty

2 Years Panasonic (International Warranty Acclaimed Officially Imported) Warranty supported On Site By Braintone Technology Pvt Ltd for 2 years

500 Hours / 180 Days (Whichever is earlier)

Delivery

Installations

In Stock

FREE

CALL US OR MAIL US YOUR REQUIREMENTS FOR ANY MODELS WHICH IS NOT MENTIONED IN THIS MAIL.

We have more than 200 models of Projectors and 20 Brands available readily in stocks with us.

If you need further assistance for the same, please do call us at: +91-9820464333 or email us at: [email protected]

Our Other Key Products : PUBLIC ADDRESS SYSTEMS I Audio Video Conferencing I MFDS I Servers I Microphones I Amplifiers I Speakers I Desktops I Laptops I Fax Machines I Security Solutions I White Boards I LCD TVS
\

Thanking You

Regards
Prashant Shah
Head Sales- Office Automation
Hand phone: +91-9820464333
Landline: +91-22-4000 4444.
Mumbai.
Braintone Technology Pvt Ltd.
Reg. Office:. 1stFloor, Veetrag Chambers, Cawasji Patel Street, Opp. HSBC Bank, Fort, Flora Fountain, Mumbai : 400 001.
Email : [email protected]
Branch Offices at: Fort , Lamington Road, Bandra , Vile Parle, Ghatkopar, Vashi
City Branches in : MUMBAI , PUNE, NASIK, NAGPUR, AHMEDNAGAR

Panasonic - Optama Or ......

Thank you very much for the offer.

Well the free screen will not be of any benefit to me because i am already having 2 screens one of dalite and the other fibre based from denmark, so what will be the best price without screens.

While though i think chances to trade with you will be low because if we are importing directly it will work out much cheaper and on the other hand frankly speaking i may not want to spend so much for the projector because i am considering to re-locate in a another city in 1 or 2 years from now, there maybe i will not be able to go for projector and screen, In view to this i may consider the Optama projector which santosh and others are using in the forum, and it seems they are all happy with it, if some have issues with this Optama, then please advice me.

However the Panasonic projector which you are offering even if i do not buy, but if you quote the best price, maybe someone else will be interested, therefore please do quote.

On the other hand i am looking with utmost interest for more suggestions from other forum members who are having the projector.

V.

Who Wins The Race, Optama?

Well santhosh i checked the distance between projector and screen it is 14 feet, while i watch the movie from 22 feet.

My dalite screen has a feature that the screen would roll down and up automatically once the projector is on and off, but for that the projector has to have a trigger slot, so when we are selecting the projector this has to be kept in mind and moreover the projector should be able to mount on the projector lift, maybe this will not be a issue.

About Optama and on other matters please tell me your opinion as i have a open mind.

V.

Re: Who Wins The Race, Optama?

frankly speaking i may not want to spend so much for the projector because i am considering to re-locate in a another city in 1 or 2 years from now, there maybe i will not be able to go for projector and screen, In view to this i may consider the Optama projector which santosh and others are using in the forum, and it seems they are all happy with it, if some have issues with this Optama, then please advice me.

Well santhosh i checked the distance between projector and screen it is 14 feet, while i watch the movie from 22 feet.

My dalite screen has a feature that the screen would roll down automatically once the projector is on, but for that the projector has to have a trigger slot, so when we are selecting the projector this has to be kept in mind and moreover the projector should be able to mount on the projector lift, maybe this will not be a issue.

Considering your plans to move to another City, it is best you buy the high VFM Optoma HD20 or similarly priced LCD Projector. Since your future home\room size is an unknown at this point, better you spend less at this point so if you have to make any changes, the damage will be less. But, the HD20 is a DLP projector and offers less flexibility in placement. For Eg: the zoom and keystone correction is very less. So the only way to get a smaller/bigger image is to move the projector back or forth. I also am aware that you have installed a projector lift mechanism wherein the projector goes back into the tiles when not in use. How easy is it to move this to a tile or two forward?

14 Feet will give you a 120 inch image, so you will have to move the projector forward to get a 90 inch image (please post your screen size). The Optoma HD20 has a 12v trigger so nothing to worry.

Optoma

At this point of time i will consider optoma hd20, as a few forum members are using it and are happy with it. It is very true for what you write about the plans to move into a another city.

Well i will not be able to move the projector even a inch, because the lift has been hard fitted into the ceiling, moving the tile forward is going to be a real pain, so this shall mean that i can not go for hd20 till and until i am sure that the projector will not give me any placement issues. The 2 screens width size is 72 and 82 inches. Further the larger tragedy could be also the placement issues of projector height. Please advice.

With the trigger facility, it is quite a relief rally.

V.

Last edited:
At 22' from 82" screen, I dont think you will notice the difference of 1080p vs 576p. Even a 50" plasma would give more immersive experience from 10'.

I would seriously suggest moving your seating closer than 15' with a 1080p projector.

Dont know much about projectors. But isnt the panasonic 4000 model a LCD one and the Optoma HD20 a DLP one? Wont the pros and cons of both would need to be measured for the OP to decide? I am presuming that a LCD projector would be more flexible in terms of placement esp. with the restriction he has.

Import Or Source Locally

Thank you for the writing.

I am also worried about which projector to go for, if it is not flexible for placement then i have had it, because i can not move the projector lift, and nor can i do much with the tiles, and not to forget with re-location there could be some cabling issues too.

On the other hand i have the dilemma in importing because what if there is some damage, lost issues, etc and if it does not have a international warranty, then all the more worst, and what if the projector is not able to fit in the lift which i am having now or what if the distance does not match for correct viewing.

In view to these things i am considering to buy the projector locally, even if that means expensive, at least there will be a great piece of mind, and non of the fears i mentioned, i will take full opportunity to use risk management, from whom i will buy, first he will have to prove it at my place that all will go well in terms of installation etc. By buying locally i will not get the latest model, but then do i have a choice?

I will like to see what are the good suggestions i will get on my these views.

V.

Last edited:
Re: Import Or Source Locally

Dont know much about projectors. But isnt the panasonic 4000 model a LCD one and the Optoma HD20 a DLP one? Wont the pros and cons of both would need to be measured for the OP to decide? I am presuming that a LCD projector would be more flexible in terms of placement esp. with the restriction he has.
You are right Sudhir. I think Vinay should now look at LCD Projector, so as to get placement flexibility.

Thank you for the writing.

I am also worried about which projector to go for, if it is not flexible for placement then i have had it, because i can not move the projector lift, and nor can i do much with the tiles, and not to forget with re-location there could be some cabling issues too........

On the other hand i have the dilemma in importing because what if there is some damage, lost issues, etc and if it does not have a international warranty, then all the more worst, and what if the projector is not able to fit in the lift which i am having now or what if the distance does not match for correct viewing........

I will like to see what are the good suggestions i will get on my these views.

V.
Vinay, the Panasonic 4000 Model is large and heavy so might not fit into the lift/tile. So start looking at other LCD Models. About cabling issues, since you are currently having a 720P projector, you will have to upgrade the HDMI cable to one that does 1080P. You are looking at around 10 Meters of HDMI cable from your Projector to AVR. These are best sourced from abroad, dealers in India sell unbranded cables at very high price as they are not easily available. You can use one of the cables from ebay in the meanwhile:
10 meter hdmi cable, Consumer Electronics, Laptops Computer Peripherals items at low prices on eBay India

The risks of damage or dead on arrival is very much there. So, buy locally if you are not comfortable with the risk involved.

Re: Import Or Source Locally

Vinay, the Panasonic 4000 Model is large and heavy so might not fit into the lift/tile. So start looking at other LCD Models. The risks of damage or dead on arrival is very much there. So, buy locally if you are not comfortable with the risk involved.
Vinay, I think the 'Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350' is an excellent value and should most probably fit your requirements. At approx. US $1200, it should also fit in well within your budget. It is only $200 more than the Optomo HD20, yet it is substantially superior in quality. The only thing that might be an issue is that I am not sure if it has a 12v trigger which your setup requires.
The risks of damage or dead on arrival is very much there. So, buy locally if you are not comfortable with the risk involved.
I personally would prefer to buy locally, but only as long as the price difference is within 15-20% of the cost of getting it from overseas. Also, I think that it is totally insane to buy bill & warranty audio/video electronics in India due to their obscenely inflated prices. I think the bill & warranty is at most worth an extra 20-25% and paying anything beyond that for warranty is just not worth it.
About cabling issues, since you are currently having a 720P projector, you will have to upgrade the HDMI cable to one that does 1080P.
Why do you assume that his existing HDMI cable cannot handle 1080p?

Agree with Sanjay on all points. Anyone bought it here in India?

About the hdmi cable, I am only assuming since his projector is 720p.

Dunno about the Epson 8350, i am using a HD 20 and its an awesome PJ, it gives a bang for your buck,my money would go on the same Vinay if you want to buy one. Wish i had checked ur posts earlier, i was in US last week could have bought one and carried over for you.I think its costing around 900$

Narrowing Down The Search

Hello Santosh,

So now i have to look for lcd projector for better placement opportunity, if i want to go for dlp then the seller should give me a proper demo in my theatre, so that we can see if there are any issues for placement.

So with your good research panasonic is probably out of the race and moreover the price was an issue while about the hdmi cable sanjay has thrown some light so probably that will not be a issue.

Indeed i am likely not to take the risk of importing, i appreciate you share my concern.

Thanks so much for your efforts

V.

Epson Projector

Hello Sanjay,

Thank you so much for your writing.

I did some study and found out that Epson 8350 is not available officially in India, is this correct? If yes, then how do i source it, please guide me. Indeed the trigger is a must.

I was offered today Epson Full HD projector (TW-4500&TW-3500), please tell me your advice on this.

I appreciate your pointers about buying locally and bill + warranty issues, i shall keep the suggestions in mind.

V.

Vinay, on the hdmi cable, there is no doubt that one needs a hdmi cable for playing 1080p. Sanjay was only saying that you may already be using a 1080p capable hdmi cable with your 720p projector. So you have to confirm that bit.

If you can get a home demo of the optoma hd20, nothing like it. This is only to check if you are able to project the correct size image on your screen. As per specs of hd20 , at 14 feet.... you will get a 120 inch picture which is larger than your screen. A home demo will tell. About the performance, many members are also using it and also you have seen it at my place in your Bangalore visit.

Nice of you Dushie to have offered to carry a projector for a member:).

Hdmi

Santosh,

I am using a hdmi cable, for a 25 feet cable i had paid about Rs.18,000/- and was a well branded one by profix.

Actually very true on the home demo factor this is exactly on what i have been working since yesterday because with such demo all mysteries will be solved. If i will not get a proper home demo then for sure i will not buy unless a well guided demo is given to me in his store.

I have a doctor friend in Singapore, i spoke to her she has told me that she can arrange to send the projector to Mumbai through some passenger, but first i need to be sure about the doubts which i have raised in this thread, but one thing is good that at least the lost or damage factor will be reduced considerably. Are there great possibilities that most projectors bought from abroad will have a international warranty?

Thanks a lot.

V.

Extra Ordinary People

Hello Dushie,

Well there will be rare people on this planet like you who will get for a fellow member the projector, i wish it would have worked out, it would have been so easy for me to pay you the cost and other in-direct charges at airport.

I think am very un-lucky on this count, you will not believe it my brother returned from Europe/Dubai, and then the projector got spoilt, then more worst was during these times my doctor friend also travelled from Singapore to Mumbai.

With extra ordinary people like you, santosh and many others, the world becomes a better place.

V.

I am just following the thread daily and digesting the views of Santhosh/Sanjay...really giving good suggestion and especially from Sanjay can see the words is coming deep from the heart.:clapping: Dushie,,,, thanks for coming forward to help the community:)

My option is Pana-AE-4000 Panasonic AE4000 -- Home Theater Projector Review or Epson AE8350 Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Review which is having a very good flexibility in placement and having a fantastic reviews all over. No doubt Epson AE8350 is an fantastic PJ with low budget which can compete with their own band of higher end models and can stood high against Pana AE-4000 in performance and moreover price factor.

For immediate reviews of top 10 models currently in the market and also update on the market price in USA, just go thru the link...Top 10 Home Theater Projectors

Coming to the Lift issue, i believe the lift could not be made in India due to the price factor, all the lifts are available in india are manufactured from china.. I have seen almost various companies brochures and it will be of standard size which can suite any budget HT PJ ( including Sanyo/Pana which are bigger in size).

HDMI cable is not an issue as of now, since vinay is not going to change the receiver:) and no 1.4... also 1.3b..a... sick of reading these magics so far and ugly play over the period of last 2 to 3 years making the consumers fools and making us to change soon.. Who have now 1.4.....

HD20 is out in the race due to the flexibility in lens zooming considering the present distance factor of vinay...:sad: It is very good bet for any of the full HD PJ in the market with the current price.

Vinay!!! Have an eye this Friday all over the online sites in USA which were offering shipping worldwide... You will get an fantastic deal for the full HD PJ( if you get atleast 25% disc form the current market price prevailing in USA). Order directly or ship thru borderlinx... You loose warranty, but choosing the established model and brand in the market will not give head ache. I have brought PJ from USA and brought by checked in luggage.. No problems faced..

I believe the price in Singapore will be at least 25% more than USA... Since there will be some frequent traveler to singapore it may be safe too if you purchase PJ from there...It can be sent back if you face some problems...

Just the same posted in other thread too...Before choosing/finalizing the PJ for your room, go thru this fantastic calculator from PJ central.
Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance

Good luck Vinay in venturing/Hunting Full HD PJ... If you think more you will loose more money.. So quick decision (sometime) will save a lot of money.:)

What i am trying to tell you may postpone your present purchase since 3D PJ is going to get launched with some craziest price:eek:hyeah: Mits is releasing Mitsubishi's HC9000D with 1,20,000:1 contrast:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Heading For Shortlist

Hello Sri,

It is very nice that you are aware of the happenings on this thread which will give me an opportunity to have a clear view from you.

Indeed santosh, sanjay and other members have put in their efforts, that is why i say this forum is just great, the kind of advice which we will get here, is likely to be better then what we will get at the stores. Dushie has set a record on this forum, this is how the community should be.

I have tried at 2 different places and they have told me that this 8350 is not possible in India, so once again i am stuck and moreover one of them told me frankly that the store prices are going to be around 40/50% more expensive than what is quoted in overseas, this is quite a disaster, which is again pushing me to source from abroad, which i have been avoiding.

I think you are right, placing any projector on the lift should not be a issue, because of standard formatting of lift, however i will check with the lift guy and see what he says, so probably this matter could be resolved.

I am happy that hd20 is out of the race and similarly the lift issue seems resolved, i need to come out of various points so that i can focus on the buying.

About buying online projectors, well it seems you, santosh and others are regularly into such imports but people like us are quite afraid to do so, who knows i may take the plunge, taking advantage of the good experience you'll have had. It is like i know to go mutual funds via online is the best way forward, but people right left center are afraid etc.

With your experience that Singapore will be much more expensive then importing from America, adds another dilemma, so Singapore is out of the race, so like this i am seeing many of the things are getting in and getting out, so this way the short list becomes dynamic, these things take time but at least we are on a better track.

I am trying to take a quicker decision but what to do, there are issues which are cropping up, so will try to hurry up more.

V.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back