Projector or 60" TV for living room

Blackout Myth

I think by now you must have realized that the blackout requirements, are nothing short of myths, so this gives you an opportunity to grab a projector sooner then later.

I hope you realize that by getting the projector it is not even half the battle won, there are other things you need to take care as being discussed in various threads.

I think the foundation which you are laying for movies via blue ray player is in the wrong direction, it is far better to have a media player and use the excellent quality rips in 720P and above for movies.

Indeed it is your wise thought that there is no point in getting a new TV for movies as you watch very little of it. In my case i have given up watching TV since long and there are no regrets whatsoever.

V.

As per an Engadget poll, more people had HD projectors than those who thought having one is not worth it due to the blackout requirements.

I don't have a projector myself, but been thinking of getting one, especially before I get myself a BD-player. Like gk@hyd, I feel BD requires more than my 40" 1080i LCD TV which I watch from a distance of 15 feet. And I don't want to spend on a TV again, since I watch very little to none of it for weeks together.

Last edited:
Heaven

The difference between watching a movie via television and projector is nothing less then watching movies in heaven, provided sins were less during life time, otherwise there is a in-direct hell in the form of television. :licklips:

V.

Trust me there is nothing like watching a movie on the big screen with a good 5.1 system to match. You wont go back to TV.

It is interesting that now you are pulling back that a complete black out is not required while in your post # 2, you were saying a complete black out is must with other shocking myth that the projector and screen should be of outstanding quality even if a full black out is maintained.

Do you think it is really possible to have "home rules" and self discipline that on a 60 inch television one will stick to only HD programmes or movies?

It is very funny when you say that cinema halls have not been closed down for movie freaks :rolleyes:. Are you sugesting that you will never own anything in life, because most of them are available without a commitment. For example there is no need to have a car because public transport is available and no need to have home made food because it is available at the restaurant :rolleyes:? It seems one has to have ability to realize the benefits of having a theatre at home :licklips:.

On basis of your thought process you may even say a cycle is better than a Nano car :rolleyes:. In other words you are saying that you are absolutely wrong in going to watch movies in a multiplex because it is a overkill as you can always watch it for free on television:lol:.

It is very abnormal to what you wrote about the hassles of a projector. I think it is basic sense that whatever we want to get into, have to be worked upon :D. Further the kind of reasoning you have given to avoid a projector can be tackled with ease.

On the other had if projector is such a problem, then why are you considering the same for yourself and moreover why are you advicing in various threads as how to go about in getting a projector, screen and related? Is it more of putting one's own foot in his mouth:mad:.

V.

Of course, its not required, but here we are comparing picture quality. If proper blackout is lacking, picture quality of any projector/screen combo will be substantially less than LCD/Plasma

I agree. With a hassle-free TV at hand, one might be tempted to watch normal non-HD programmes on it. This will ultimately result in lack of big-screen thrill when using it to watch movies/HD programmes. One has to establish some "home rules" and have self discipline to counter this.

Its not like cinema halls have closed down for movie freaks, they don't really need a TV/projector :)
And sometimes its only a Nano car which is required to get from point A to B. Mercedes would be an overkill in such a situation :)

:) Let me see-
- Buying & installation of projector
- Buying & installation of screen
- Buying and installing long audio video cables
- Separate room with blackout provision
- Installation of AC to avoid screen flutter
- Caring of screen, to avoid it getting dirty/wavy/torn
- Caring of projector, to avoid it getting dusty inside
- Power backup to let projector bulb cool off when electricity goes off
No hassles, did you say? :lol: Maybe not for people like us. But others may not think so.

Last edited:
Hassles

Further it is like one will tell his wife not to do the cooking at home because there are hassles.

Let me see-

• Buy Gas Stove
  • Buy Lighter
  • Buy cooking oil
  • Buy chopping board
  • Buy Knife
  • Go to buy vegetables & Masala
  • Wash the vegetables
  • Cut the vegetables
  • Cook the vegetables
  • Serve when it is ready
  • Buy utensil cleaning liquid
  • Clean the utensils

So to conlude this faimly probably will not buy a projector and neither cook at home because of the hassles involved.

However i think the reality is that for movie freaks projector is a must and for health freaks home food is a must.

The moral of story is simple, if we need something, there is need to work on that and not use the garb of hassle, if we will not work then does one expect the ghosts to do our things?

V.

Last edited:
It is interesting that now you are pulling back that a complete black out is not required while in your post # 2, you were saying a complete black out is must with other shocking myth that the projector and screen should be of outstanding quality even if a full black out is maintained.

Do you think it is really possible to have "home rules" and self discipline that on a 60 inch television one will stick to only HD programmes or movies?

It is very funny when you say that cinema halls have not been closed down for movie freaks :rolleyes:. Are you sugesting that you will never own anything in life, because most of them are available without a commitment. For example there is no need to have a car because public transport is available and no need to have home made food because it is available at the restaurant :rolleyes:? It seems one has to have ability to realize the benefits of having a theatre at home :licklips:.

On basis of your thought process you may even say a cycle is better than a Nano car :rolleyes:. In other words you are saying that you are absolutely wrong in going to watch movies in a multiplex because it is a overkill as you can always watch it for free on television:lol:.

It is very abnormal to what you wrote about the hassles of a projector. I think it is basic sense that whatever we want to get into, have to be worked upon :D. Further the kind of reasoning you have given to avoid a projector can be tackled with ease.

On the other had if projector is such a problem, then why are you considering the same for yourself and moreover why are you advicing in various threads as how to go about in getting a projector, screen and related? Is it more of putting one's own foot in his mouth:mad:.

V.

Vinay, it looks like my posts have angered you for some reason. That was not my intention. But you must learn that if a person is not 100% in agreement with you, it doesn't means he/she is your enemy. Respecting other people's belief or opinions is a sign of maturity that every adult should aspire to gain.

I am not pulling back on anything. No statement that I have made regarding blackouts are contradictory. You just need to read & understand them carefully and with open mind.

I myself have 50 inch RPTV and have the discipline to watch only movies on that. It has been like this for past 5 years.

Picture size/quality, Sound quality & ambiance offered by good theaters can hardly be replicated at home even with top-of-the-line home theater gadgets. If you don't agree with this, you are just lying to yourself.

I am a true movie fan and watch around 20-25 movies a month (no exaggeration). I have had a separate home theater room with, 50 inch RPTV, 5.1 sound, AC and blackout facility for 5 years! So I am hardly new to the game and in capacity of advising others. In case you don't know, RPTV is actually an ensemble of projector and screen, therefore most of the hassles of projectors (bulb care, dust prevention, power backup for cooler fans, blackout requirements) are known to me and I am dealing with them since past 5 years.

I do wish to have a bigger screen at home and that's the only reason I lurk in this forum. But this doesn't mean that I should turn a blind eye towards projector setup's negative points.

Because I am such a big movie fan and already have most of setup requirements, its OK for me to buy a projector. But its still an overkill for most other casual viewers. So I advice casual viewers likewise. Whats right for us may not be right for others based on their own requirements and preferences. That's another fact of life that you need to learn.

@gk@hyd - Sorry for the partial hijack :) of your thread, but I needed to respond to this.

@rshri,

I do not think Vinay has taken any offence to your statements.

You already have 50" RPTV at home. I think that if you want bigger size at a reasonable cost, projector is the way to go. I agree with you that there are lot of hassles with the projector. The main thing is that it is very inconvenient to be used for casual watching like TV. I only watch the projector when I have a good spare time of 2 hours or more.

And I will still say (and differ with Vinay) on the blackout point - I feel that near blackout is required. Vinay has constructed a special room with dark ambience already in existence. Perhaps he also has a high LUMENS PJ and high gain screen. It all depends upon the situation. The walls in my PJ room are light coloured and reflect a lot of light.

My own opinion - PJ is great for movies, not so for TV.

Well it is not the point of anger, the issue is about your myths.

About not being in agreement i can understand and respect the line, but if one is writing something which does not hold ground, where is the question of showing respect.

I am in no way assuming you as my enemy, it is just that i need to watch the interest of others who are considering for a projector and they do not get swayed away by your so called hassles and myths.

I just gave you an example how you are pulling back, and you are telling me that i should understand them with an open mind. Is this a joke on yourself?

It is very good that you have a discipline to watch only movies in 50 inch television i too share your boat with a lot of discipline when i am watching movies, my target was in general, will people follow discipline?

It seems you are born with a another myth, now you are saying that a good home theatre can never be near a good theatre. It seems you have never seen some good dedicated home theatres. It is not alone spending on gadgets, the interiors, your state of mind and many other things count.

It is several people who have seen my mini theatre, and have complimented to me in a great way and has been covered by 5 magazines, including Times Of India, and by a TV Channel.

I used to go to a cinema hall around 4 times a month, now since 4 years i have not been even once. The power of having a dedicated theatre at home, you can understand when you see a good one, as and when you are in Mumbai, be my guest, and see what can be achieved with the right money and planning.

A cinema hall will be good in some aspects is true but when we compare over all the benefits of a good home theater, a cinema hall will be beaten down, be assured on this.

Indeed one should not turn a blind eye towards projector setup's negative points, as long as they are true and not fiction.

If one is a movie freak and has the money, it is not an over kill to have a projector enviorment depending upon the interest.

V.

Vinay, it looks like my posts have angered you for some reason. That was not my intention. But you must learn that if a person is not 100% in agreement with you, it doesn't means he/she is your enemy. Respecting other people's belief or opinions is a sign of maturity that every adult should aspire to gain.

I am not pulling back on anything. No statement that I have made regarding blackouts are contradictory. You just need to read & understand them carefully and with open mind.

I myself have 50 inch RPTV and have the discipline to watch only movies on that. It has been like this for past 5 years.

Picture size/quality, Sound quality & ambiance offered by good theaters can hardly be replicated at home even with top-of-the-line home theater gadgets. If you don't agree with this, you are just lying to yourself.

I am a true movie fan and watch around 20-25 movies a month (no exaggeration). I have had a separate home theater room with, 50 inch RPTV, 5.1 sound, AC and blackout facility for 5 years! So I am hardly new to the game and in capacity of advising others. In case you don't know, RPTV is actually an ensemble of projector and screen, therefore most of the hassles of projectors (bulb care, dust prevention, power backup for cooler fans, blackout requirements) are known to me and I am dealing with them since past 5 years.

I do wish to have a bigger screen at home and that's the only reason I lurk in this forum. But this doesn't mean that I should turn a blind eye towards projector setup's negative points.

Because I am such a big movie fan and already have most of setup requirements, its OK for me to buy a projector. But its still an overkill for most other casual viewers. So I advice casual viewers likewise. Whats right for us may not be right for others based on their own requirements and preferences. That's another fact of life that you need to learn.

@gk@hyd - Sorry for the partial hijack :) of your thread, but I needed to respond to this.

Last edited:
I do not think Vinay has taken any offence to your statements.
I doubt that :)

You already have 50" RPTV at home. I think that if you want bigger size at a reasonable cost, projector is the way to go.
Of course, no one is doubting that! That's why I am active in this forum.

The main thing is that it is very inconvenient to be used for casual watching like TV......My own opinion - PJ is great for movies, not so for TV.
Why do you want to watch TV on PJ? I think normal TV is suffice for TV programmes for most users. I myself have never watched TV on my RPTV.

Sir,

I would beg to differ with you here.

While I do agree that the picture size in a movie hall is considerably larger, I have yet to come across any theater having sound quality comparable to what I have at home. At home you can fine tune your system to have a 2-3 seat wide sweet spot. In a movie hall...what sweet spot? Moreover, most of the movie halls just play LOUD...without really going low. Do they really have subs capable of moving air in the sub 20s?

I may be wrong, but I have my doubts, reinforced by the fact that I have never emerged from a hall feeling really sated, you know, the intensely satisfying feeling of tight bass hitting the chest and the sofa juddering under the backside.......

The Power Of A Dedicated Home Theatre

For most of the things in life there is a hassle for once or on a continuous basis so why single out the rich projector?

To get the proper projector invoirment working, be it planning, interiors etc, is near about one time shot, once this is done, it is like being in heaven for movie freaks.

In my case i see to it that i remove time to be in my Mini theatre, after all i have spent so much of money and time to get it beaming. I very often finish a movie in double the time, like i set a timer, watch movie for 30 minutes, take a break for 20 minutes to catch up with the routine things, can a cinema hall offer me this flexibility and many more?

About your differ on the black out, i have worked very hard to achieve the results. I most of the times see movies with about 5 lights on in dim mode, etc. I use a tube light too with bright display if the need be, the game is to place it in the right place and direction.

It is no doubt that i have constructed a special room, the planning has been so high that you will be pleased to hear the tale when we meet.

Once you visit my "Mini Theatre", you will be assured that there is no need for me to visit a movie hall due to various factors.

In terms of spending, i have spent much more then a multiplex would spend per square feet, so needles to say the results are very good.

V.

Well it is not the point of anger, the issue is about your myths.

About not being in agreement i can understand and respect the line, but if one is writing something which does not hold ground, where is the question of showing respect.

I am in no way assuming you as my enemy, it is just that i need to watch the interest of others who are considering for a projector and they do not get swayed away by your so called hassles and myths.

I just gave you an example how you are pulling back, and you are telling me that i should understand them with an open mind. Is this a joke on yourself?

It is very good that you have a discipline to watch only movies in 50 inch television i too share your boat with a lot of discipline when i am watching movies, my target was in general, will people follow discipline?

It seems you are born with a another myth, now you are saying that a good home theatre can never be near a good theatre. It seems you have never seen some good dedicated home theatres. It is not alone spending on gadgets, the interiors, your state of mind and many other things count.

It is several people who have seen my mini theatre, and have complimented to me in a great way and has been covered by 5 magazines, including Times Of India, and by a TV Channel.

I used to go to a cinema hall around 4 times a month, now since 4 years i have not been even once. The power of having a dedicated theatre at home, you can understand when you see a good one, as and when you are in Mumbai, be my guest, and see what can be achieved with the right money and planning.

A cinema hall will be good in some aspects is true but when we compare over all the benefits of a good home theater, a cinema hall will be beaten down, be assured on this.

Indeed one should not turn a blind eye towards projector setup's negative points, as long as they are true and not fiction.

If one is a movie freak and has the money, it is not an over kill to have a projector enviorment depending upon the interest.

V.

Last edited:
Quality

For some quantity matters not the quality, so they are happy with the bigger screen and when they like the sound of a movie hall, i can imagine what kind of 5.1 they would have.

On the other hand they want a bigger screen but will not be ready to pay for quality, but will advocate a DIY screen of mere Rs.3000/- (Three Thousand).

If this is how guys are going to spend on screen and cheap 5.1, naturally a home theater can never beat a multiplex.

V.

Sir,

While I do agree that the picture size in a movie hall is considerably larger, I have yet to come across any theater having sound quality comparable to what I have at home. At home you can fine tune your system to have a 2-3 seat wide sweet spot. In a movie hall...what sweet spot? Moreover, most of the movie halls just play LOUD...without really going low. Do they really have subs capable of moving air in the sub 20s?

I may be wrong, but I have my doubts, reinforced by the fact that I have never emerged from a hall feeling really sated, you know, the intensely satisfying feeling of tight bass hitting the chest and the sofa juddering under the backside.......

Projector World

Let me see :):):)

Buying & installation of projector, Screen, Audio & Video Cables ;)

If we need something, we need to buy and naturally we need to install, so what is the fuss about? :D

If you have to go to office you have to buy pant, shirt, underwear, shoes, socks, and not to forget the comb unless someone is bald, does one make a fuss about these things? :indifferent14:

So if one likes movies then will have to buy a projector, screen, audio & video cables etc.

Installation of AC to avoid screen flutter

If someone who can afford to buy a projector, it is most likely he already has a air condition. :)

If he is living in Kashmir, then it is a another ball game.

Caring of screen, to avoid it getting dirty/wavy/torn

One can always buy a screen automatic roll up and down. Will it still get dirty or torn? :licklips:

In my case one of my screen, automatically rolls up or down which is trigger based, once the projector bulb is on or off, the screen moves up and down accordingly.

Separate room with blackout provision

One can always have the projector in living room etc, what stops one from buying curtains? In-fact there is no need to buy curtains, and you know why, because everyone has it in their house. :lol:

Further i am sure that the lights have switches, just get up and off them before watching the movie, is that a tall order? If one is watching movie in the night, then there is no need to draw the curtains, right or wrong? :lol:

So if a separate room is not there, what is the big deal? :D

Caring of projector, to avoid it getting dusty inside

I am sure you realize that a aircraft engineer is not required to clean the dust, these days children are so smart, if you tell them once how to do it, they will do it better then us.

However imagine the dust and pollution which one will go through while visiting a cinema hall, it seems that is fine with some guys, but are more worried about the dust in a projector which is not even a human being. :rolleyes:

Power backup to let projector bulb cool off when electricity goes off

We require a power back up for our desk top and many other things that is fine right? So what's the fuss to get a power back up for projector?

@gk@hyd - I am sure you will realize that this is not a partial hijack of your respective thread as this is saving you and others of not falling in trap of keeping away from the great world of "Projectors" . :yahoo:

Hassles did you say? :lol::lol::lol:

V.

:) Let me see-
- Buying & installation of projector
- Buying & installation of screen
- Buying and installing long audio video cables
- Separate room with blackout provision
- Installation of AC to avoid screen flutter
- Caring of screen, to avoid it getting dirty/wavy/torn
- Caring of projector, to avoid it getting dusty inside
- Power backup to let projector bulb cool off when electricity goes off
No hassles, did you say? :lol: Maybe not for people like us. But others may not think so.

Last edited:
Re: Projector World

I agree with Vinay. Installation of projector is a one time headache, if at all. And what is the big fuss about? No one complains about installation of 5.1/7.1 speaker systems. Don't the surround speakers need to be setup properly behind the listener? Don't wires have to run all along the wall/ceiling?

A/C units are so cheap these days that everyone is able to afford them - running cost is still a nightmare on the enrgy bill. I remember I paid Rs. 29k for Hitachi 1.5T Window AC back in 2002. Today a split AC is same price or cheaper. This month rains have started and AC becomes too chilly. I run the fan on speed 1 and that does not flutter the screen.

PJ can be fit anywhere but it would be best to have a dedicated room. But that holds true for an HT/Music room anyway. Even keeping sound volume at -12db on my Denon AVR, the sound is too loud in the dedicated room. In a common room such as living room/hall, the sound would disturb others not interested in the movie watching.

As Vinay said, screen is not a problem at all if it is a simple insta-lock pull-down/pull-up type. There is hardly any maintenance required.

Power backup is an insurance. I have installed the backup just six months ago. From 2005, I have been otherwise running the PJ on standard power.

Believe me and many others. Once you have a projector you often wonder what you were doing all these days. But feed the projector with great video source - not VCDs, 6-in-1 DVD, or crappy AVIs from torrents.

Re: Quality

Sir,

Sir, You are exactly echoing my sentiments. :)

Sir,

I agree that more powerful bass effects are possible in home theater but it isn't necessarily a "better" sound. I (and most of the regular people I know) prefer a more "balanced" sound from all speakers including bass. A wall-shaking/heart-stopping bass may sound very cool to you but regular viewers are just startled and distracted by it. In my mind, a better sound is something that pulls you into the movie rather than shake you back to reality :)
Another problem with powerful bass is that it propagates throughout the house. Have you ever had heavy bass-thumping car pass you by? Isn't it extremely irritating? Its the same irritation that you can cause to your family/neighbors by over-amplifying the bass at your home.

Respect

It is not sensible to respect a belief or opinion if someone says "A" for Ball, because the correct answer is "A" for Apple, needless to say it is "B" for Ball.

It is very important for every adult to understand that there is a huge difference between Apple and Ball, though both of them are round in shape, but usage is completely different, to clarify one is for eating and the other one for playing.

I remember a few months ago you were at the verge of buying a projector and you dropped the idea because of financial issues. Further in recent days also you showed interest for a projector.

On the other hand you give a image that projector is in-directly not worth it and going to cinema halls is the way to go forward. I want to know on whose side you are, India or Pakistan, or should i ask you who is the inspector and constable?

The moral of the movie is, if one will spread myths, confusion, etc, how can one show respect? One first needs to be mature and should know his mind among other things.

V.

Respecting other people's belief or opinions is a sign of maturity that every adult should aspire to gain

Last edited:
Sub Woofer

I think as usual your myth factory is running in full steam.

You need to realize that if a sub woofer is giving very good effects then the 5 speakers also are likely to sound very good. I think it is high time you and your contacts should take a trip to see a good demo of some dedicated home theatres.

A sub woofer is among the critical gear, and you do not have the ability to understand or respect the power of it, i am shocked.

About the regular viewers being startled and distracted with lower frequency, this is really abnormal and unbelivable?

So now you are saying in-directly that a sub woofer should not be in the house.

You should have the ability to understand that the lower frequency disturbance to others can be controlled via accoustics etc while volume can be tamed.

Do you really see 25 movies a month? If yes, do you see them with sub woofer off or on? From where do you source so many movies?

V.

I agree that more powerful bass effects are possible in home theater but it isn't necessarily a "better" sound. I (and most of the regular people I know) prefer a more "balanced" sound from all speakers including bass. A wall-shaking/heart-stopping bass may sound very cool to you but regular viewers are just startled and distracted by it. In my mind, a better sound is something that pulls you into the movie rather than shake you back to reality :)
Another problem with powerful bass is that it propagates throughout the house. Have you ever had heavy bass-thumping car pass you by? Isn't it extremely irritating? Its the same irritation that you can cause to your family/neighbors by over-amplifying the bass at your home.

Last edited:
Re: Sub Woofer

I did not get the point - what is bass/sound, etc. to do with projector? We are talking purely about projector, aren't we?

I am not saying that my HT is better than a cinema hall. Indeed no. The cinema hall is technically any day better than, nay superior to my HT setup. I have clearly stated the reasons why I have stopped going to the cinema halls - well not stopped really - but it is more like 1/2 visits a year. I happily go to cinema when I visit US/UK because over there I face none of the problems that I mentioned earlier.

It is not as if I am going to stop visiting cinema completely (in India). The next one I plan to see at the cinema is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2. But that is only because I am an HP fan and cannot wait till the BD is released. I would have been happier to see the 2D version, but alas, this is not going to be.

I have no arguments with people who like to visit cinemas. That is their choice and I completely see their viewpoint also. A projector at home is not for everyone. But my HT that is not even half as good as Vinay's gives me immense satisfaction yet.

So I say Vinay and rshri, let us not try to convince each other the merits and demerits. rshri, you can alone be the judge whether you would like to have a projector or not. If yes, let us discuss options/issues/problems/solutions.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion.

However, as pointed out by Vinay, the sub is a critical part of the HT. I am not merely talking about "powerful bass effects" here. What I am trying to put across is that a good sub is able to deliver all the information that the recording engineer has painstakingly fed in for viewers to enjoy. There is so much of low level information in the disc that you need a properly calibrated and integrated sub to catch it at all. Moreover good subs are very expensive. The speakers one sees at most of the movie halls are commercial speakers which are far different from those used by anybody bitten by the audio bug. You might find JBLs or horn loaded Klipsches or the like which are meant to just play loud. You will not find anything remotely resembling the kind of High Performance speakers that normally adorn an audiophile's house. This extends to subs too. If movie halls start installing the kind of speakers and subs that audio buffs have at their homes, they would have to charge 10 x what they charge for tickets now.

Balanced sound? Sir, any audio buff worth his salt would use his trusty SPL meter to ensure that sound levels from all 5.1 or 7.1 channels are balanced, with the volume control of the sub very delicately turned up to _just_ the right level. The heavy thumping bass from a car passing by which is so irritating is the product of a voulme control turned way up. Not to be confused with a properly adjusted Velodyne!

My experience seems to be diametrically opposite....a well designed HT enhances the movie enjoyment......it is the typical movie hall that distracts me!

Last edited:
Re: Sub Woofer

You are right Sir, I am guilty of going off topic, thank you for bringing me back!

To the original poster, as the saying goes...you cannot make an omelette without breaking an egg. Sure, a TV is extremely convenient to use as compared to a projector, but as pointed out by many here, if you are willing to put in some effort, you will find yourself rewarded no end.

For movie watching, a 60" TV presents no competition to a decent projector... economics AND performance wise.

I did not get the point - what is bass/sound, etc. to do with projector? We are talking purely about projector, aren't we?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back