Projector or 60" TV for living room

Re: Respect

It is not sensible to respect a belief or opinion if someone says "A" for Ball.....I want to know on whose side you are, India or Pakistan, or should i ask you who is the inspector and constable?..........the issue is about your myths......For some quantity matters not the quality.......If this is how guys are going to spend on screen and cheap 5.1.......if one will spread myths, confusion, etc, how can one show respect? ........I think as usual your myth factory is running in full steam.....
V.
@Vinay, please try to keep your emotions in check and avoid personal ranting in public forum posts. You are only embarrassing yourself with this behavior.
You are welcome to PM me if you are getting confused by my posts. I will try my best to help you understand my perspective.

So, what has the thread starter decided? Projector or Big screen TV? :) My view is that Projector is really awesome for movies. No doubts on that. My entire family, friends and I have been having great times in my HT room. The world cup where india won had about 20 people with flags et all getting emotional at the big sized presentation! No TV can do this. Please note that its not only movies that you will be using the projector for, especially if its a good one. But then again it depends on the user. What does he want and what does he need. It would be enlightening to know what the thread starter has decided.

Last edited:
So, what has the thread starter decided? Projector or Big screen TV? :) My view is that Projector is really awesome for movies. No doubts on that. My entire family, friends and I have been having great times in my HT room. The world cup where india won had about 20 people with flags et all getting emotional at the big sized presentation! No TV can do this. Please note that its not only movies that you will be using the projector for, especially if its a good one. But then again it depends on the user. What does he want and what does he need. It would be enlightening to know what the thread starter has decided.
Exactly. I said the same thing in the last para of my last post.

Big screen TV or Projector. Both have advantages and limitations (I shall not call them disadvantages). Instead of bashing one vs. other, one can decide what is right for oneself. I will not trade my PJ for anything - it is probably the best part of my HT. But my neighbour finds this a useless device. So that is his thought process.

So let us no more argue on the issue.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences.. have been pretty helpful

For now.. I have decided towards projector.. considering the price and screen size factors. Based on all the responses on this thread and the other reading I have done so far.. I am convinced that using a projector in living room is not going to be bad at all.

My next steps would be to
- Plan the logistics part, especially for the screen placement as I have a very limited width of 6'-6.5' where I am supposed to place the screen. I am in the process of getting a TV stand re-done to mount my 42" plasma TV and accommodate the rest of the HT components.. I have to factor in the screen placement
Need to also investigate the options for projector placement.. initially was considering hiding it within some false ceiling(to be done) and have it come out through some lift mechanism. After seeing some pictures of ceiling mounted and hearing the opinions of others, having it ceiling mounted in open doesn't seem to be a bad idea either.. aesthetics play the key role here

- Get a demo of any living room based setup or work with any local vendors to get a home demo to see how exactly would it look like for my living room

- Wait for one of my friends to come from US and plan the purchase/shipment through them(considering the 100% premium to be paid if purchased in India). In mean time I can also save to budget the purchase and conclude the infrastructure required for the setup

Please do share any pictures for the TV stand that can house flat TV, HT components and a projector screen.. was following this thread for ideas.. but not much of luck so far..

A TV Stand will not be able to accommodate Projector Screen. Please consider hanging Plasma on wall and allow PJ screen to unfurl in front of it as and when required. I have seen pics of such a setup in this forum.
If you insist on having Plasma on TV stand, I suggest you go for ceiling mounting of PJ Screen.
There are other things to consider too - If your media player has only one HDMI outlet, you also need to to buy a good quality HDMI switcher to allow inputs to both Plasma and PJ.
Please also get good quality 25 ft HDMI cable from your US friend, if getting the PJ from him. You will need it to run from HDMI switcher to ceiling where PJ will be mounted.
Which PJ are you planning to buy?

Emotions

I think this is got nothing to do with emotions, you need to keep in check your myths etc, and it will be better if you avoid such writings in a public forum. You are only embarrassing yourself with such wrong guiding and what not.

I do not understand why should i send you a private message, my preference is always to discuss in a open forum.

I am in no way getting confused with your posts, they are clear, which gives me an opportunity in writing my point of view so that it saves others, while that is a another story, you are also getting a correct advice from many of us, which will allow you to get in beaming of projector.

In-fact you need to urgently visit my theatre or of some other forum member, so that we can help you try to understand why you are wrong on so many counts, that way it help you on personal front with better correct knowledge.

V.

@Vinay, please try to keep your emotions in check and avoid personal ranting in public forum posts. You are only embarrassing yourself with this behavior.
You are welcome to PM me if you are getting confused by my posts. I will try my best to help you understand my perspective.

Last edited:
Good choice on the projector and going for a small TV. We also had the same dilemna, whether to go for a big TV for family room or a projector. Decided on a projector in family room (and ended up converting it to dedicated theater) and a 40" LCD tv for living room.

If buying HDMI cables/splitters etc from US, take a look at monoprice.com. They have very high quality cables and at very cheap prices. Don't spend thousands of rupees just on cables.

A TV Stand will not be able to accommodate Projector Screen. Please consider hanging Plasma on wall and allow PJ screen to unfurl in front of it as and when required.
The wall has a window attached to the main door.. leaving the actual wall to be just 4ft wide.. so a stand appears to be must for me and hence the requirement of a stand that can hold tv and aswell projector screen..

Or else I might have to settle for portable one like this Epson 80" screen

Which PJ are you planning to buy?
At present shortlisted Epson 8350, but will keep looking for good alternatives till the actual purchase time, which is again dependent on someone being able to carry it from US

The wall has a window attached to the main door.. leaving the actual wall to be just 4ft wide.. so a stand appears to be must for me and hence the requirement of a stand that can hold tv and aswell projector screen..

At present shortlisted Epson 8350, but will keep looking for good alternatives till the actual purchase time, which is again dependent on someone being able to carry it from US
Can you post a picture of the door+windows+wall, i.e., the projection screen wall?

Maybe people can come up with lots of suggestions.

Isn't 80 inch too small for home projection? Also this portable screen doesn't seem to be an ideal choice for home use; it seems more suitable for outdoor/professional presentations. You may see screen "sags" in this setup.
As you have confirmed, your available home environment cannot be made more suitable for PJ at this point of time. So if I were you, I would re-think my decision to buy PJ.
Is ceiling mount for screen not a feasible option for you?

If you are looking for portable screen, please let me know. I have a spare one with me. I am planning to sell it. FAVI 120" 16:9 tripod screen, unused.
I am sorry if this is not right way to communicate to you.
Thanks,
Murali.

If you are looking for portable screen, please let me know. I have a spare one with me. I am planning to sell it. FAVI 120" 16:9 tripod screen, unused.
I am sorry if this is not right way to communicate to you.
Thanks,
Murali.

Thanks Murali.. sent you a PM

Projector

I am glad that you have found the thoughts and our experience helpful by which you have taken a call that projector is the way to go forward.

At the time i was looking for a projector there were many of them who were telling me not to go for it and i had nearly decided to keep away, but with better sense i realized that no television can come near a projector for regular movie watching.

So when someone at the forum, gives wrong advice etc about not to go for a projector, others and i need to save the members from their myths and what not.

I had used a projector lift of which you can see in the video of my "Mini Theatre".

V.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences.. have been pretty helpful

For now.. I have decided towards projector.. considering the price and screen size factors. Based on all the responses on this thread and the other reading I have done so far.. I am convinced that using a projector in living room is not going to be bad at all.

Need to also investigate the options for projector placement.. initially was considering hiding it within some false ceiling(to be done) and have it come out through some lift mechanism.

Outing

It seems you are doing too many things in a outing, must be consuming at least 10 hours, at end of the day is it really possible to be refreshed? Would it not be better to do one thing at a time?

V.

Going to cinema is an "outing" for me and my family. I usually combine my movie going experience with dining/lunch, shopping, driving around, idling, talking and bonding with my family in general. At the end of such outings, whole family is happy, satisfied and refreshed.

Hi GK,

Do you have false ceiling like gypsum boards or PoP? My house is under renovation and PoP ceiling will be done. I am wondering what are the measures I have to take now just in case I decide on a projector setup in my sitting area 5yrs down the line? Any opinions or ideas?

Cheers!!
KVN

Kevian,

I have used acoustic ceiling tiles, if you need a projector lift, such tiles and related are a must. If you are mounting the projector from ceiling, then any type of ceiling will do.

It will be no point to plan anything now because there are many other issues which have to be taken care if one has to go for a projector. If you are still interested to plan now itself then i suggest you visit a forum member's home theater to get full practical idea.

However if you now make provision for halogen and in-direct lights, you can use them while watching a movie via projector, so virtually there will be no need to darken the room completely.

V.

Last edited:
Vinay,

First floor construction is going on at my place. So I have a sitting area of 10x17 ft. The setup appearance would be akin to srramanujam's setup except I'd have a door leading to sunspace in place of his french window balcony. Behind the left speaker a walkway would lead to ground floor. So putting a large TV there would become obstructive. This area would primarily be used for listening to music and watch movies with family. So, I was considering a projector based setup but not on immediate basis. But, as we are doing a PoP for ceiling, I wanted to know about screen placement and projector hooked to ceiling. Keeping this in mind, I want to have an idea how screen can be mounted to PoP ceiling and Projector hook be installed now in order to avoid any demolition when I buy a projector may be in 5 years(sooner the better:licklips:).

Any pointers Sir?

cheers!!
KVN

Kevian,

The sitting area of 17 feet is very good, see if you can increase it by another 3 feet or so.

A proper lay out of the room is required.

You will get answers to most of your queries when you see some one's home theatre or you visit some demo room of a show room.

It is most important that you understand the details of making a home theatre and then only get into it. In various threads there is a lot of good information available, and at times there will be myths and what not. You will come across cases where one is recommending to put a fan bolt to mount the projector or to clean the DVDs/Cds and related with their baniyan or maybe even a underwear as both are often of the same material.

V.

Last edited:
Re: Outing

It seems you are doing too many things in a outing, must be consuming at least 10 hours, at end of the day is it really possible to be refreshed? Would it not be better to do one thing at a time?

V.
Vinay, I am through with your idiotic and juvenile comments. Please stick to topic and stop trying to pull me into inane discussions.

Outing

I just asked you something on what you wrote, there was nothing to get worked up, i was just helping you. Please guide me how does it become out of topic.

In such a situation who is idiotic will be any one's guess.

V.

Vinay, I am through with your idiotic and juvenile comments. Please stick to topic and stop trying to pull me into inane discussions.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back