Projector or 60" TV for living room

gk@hyd

I have recently setup HT system (Denon 1911 + Mordaunt Short Aviano 5.1 speakers) in my living room along side of 8 months old Panasonic 42v20

After watching some HD movies.. I find 42" screen not good enough to fully experience the movie watching, hence started looking at options for bigger screens

My living room size is 15' X 11' (attaching my living room layout). And there is very very limited light that comes in through one single window that opens into the duct(4' space between flats) and it has a fairly thick curtain, resulting in very low light in living room once the main door is closed.

But given that this is to be setup in a living room, aesthetics do play a role in the decision making. Hence looking for guidance/ideas on using projectors in living room without compromising on aesthetics much

• Projector placement thoughts. Instead of ceiling mount, I am considering placing it one corner and possibly hiding/covering it when not in use (corner placement is possible through LCD projectors like Epson 8350 I suppose)
  • Screen attachment to a TV stand(to be built) by hanging it from the top of the stand using some brackets etc while the TV stays behind the screen (which needs to be either manually or electrically pulled down when needed). TV stand's width may not exceed 6' given the space taken up by main door. If anybody could share such setup details/pictures, would help
  • Projector options.. currently looking at Epson 8350 and Optoma HD20. Inclining towards 8350 given the flexibility it offers in placement. I have someone who could carry a projector for me from US if decided in next 3-4 days
  • If anybody in Hyd can help with a demo for better understanding of how the projector setup quality may look like compared to that of TV, especially in a living room kinda setup (I saw the a large screen setup @ Vector systems but would like to see a setup close to my requirements)

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FlatPlan_Hall.JPG
    FlatPlan_Hall.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Unless you have complete blackout & an outstanding screen & projector, the picture quality from a projector is no match for picture in plasma/LCD. Projectors are only used for the big size picture. Using a projector brings in many hassles. So its a trade-off.
If you think 60-inch picture is big enough for you, and you can afford 60 inch plasma/LCD then there is no point going for a projector.

Unless you have complete blackout & an outstanding screen & projector, the picture quality from a projector is no match for picture in plasma/LCD. Projectors are only used for the big size picture. Using a projector brings in many hassles. So its a trade-off.
If you think 60-inch picture is big enough for you, and you can afford 60 inch plasma/LCD then there is no point going for a projector.
+1 to the above. Projectors need dark room.

rshri, just4kix - thanks for your responses. I shall probably slow down on projector option considering your inputs and shall atleast take some demos(to understand how significant is the picture quality difference and the role of light) before I make any further move.

Actually one of the factors is also the significant price difference between projector setup(50-60K) and 60" tv (around 1.5-2lacs). And if I have to go for large screen TV, i will have to wait for atleast 1-2yrs given the huge budget :sad:

Last edited:
If you have a spare bedroom of that dimension , you could use it as dedicated HT room with projector.

Welcome to the world of projector and screen.

You are very right that a 42" screen is not good enough to experience the dynamic movie watching.

It is good that you do not have to put much effort in vanishing the sun light and moreover you have a bodyguard in terms of thick curtain.

A projector and screen will add larger value to your living room so there is no question of compromising on aesthetics.

A projector's home is always the ceiling via mount, it can not be housed anywhere else for sake of better sense. To hide a projector or cover it is like nothing short of bollywood actress Ashwirya Rai in a burkha.

I will not recommend a projector which is a old model for the simple reason because newer models are available with better technology etc. The 8350 is a very good projector, though there are small issues.

There is a member Sidvee in your city who is having the 8350, you can request him for a demo.

V.

After watching some HD movies.. I find 42" screen not good enough to fully experience the movie watching, hence started looking at options for bigger screens

My living room size is 15' X 11' (attaching my living room layout). And there is very very limited light that comes in through one single window that opens into the duct(4' space between flats) and it has a fairly thick curtain, resulting in very low light in living room once the main door is closed.

But given that this is to be setup in a living room, aesthetics do play a role in the decision making. Hence looking for guidance/ideas on using projectors in living room without compromising on aesthetics much

[*]Projector placement thoughts. Instead of ceiling mount, I am considering placing it one corner and possibly hiding/covering it when not in use

[*]Projector options.. currently looking at Epson 8350 and Optoma HD20. Inclining towards 8350

[*]If anybody in Hyd can help with a demo for better understanding of how the projector setup quality may look like compared to that of TV, especially in a living room kinda setup (I saw the a large screen setup @ Vector systems but would like to see a setup close to my requiremet

Last edited:
If you have a spare bedroom of that dimension , you could use it as dedicated HT room with projector.

I have a 3rd bed room which is more meant for guests and is 11' X 12' of which 2' is occupied by wardrobe making it a 9X12. Bigger challenge would be with HT system that is currently setup in living room being used for both music/movies. Our typical usage of letting the music play in the background while we deal with daily chores would suffer if we move the system out of living room

Welcome to the world of projector and screen.

Thanks Vinay for your feedback.. is definitely encouraging me towards projector(vs pricey large screen TV) :)

On the projector placement, I was inspired by what was mentioned in 8350's manual(attaching the snippet),
As the living room where I am planning this setup has the main entrance into the apartment, and all visitors are expected to be seated in the same room, I am somehow not comfortable to have a projector ceiling mounted which may look odd (may be just my personal opinion)

Will also try to reach the Hyd HFV member you mentioned and get a practical feel of the 8350 projector

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Epson8350_LocationOptions.jpg
    Epson8350_LocationOptions.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 326
As per an Engadget poll, more people had HD projectors than those who thought having one is not worth it due to the blackout requirements.

Poll: Why don't you have a projector? -- Engadget HD

I don't have a projector myself, but been thinking of getting one, especially before I get myself a BD-player. Like gk@hyd, I feel BD requires more than my 40" 1080i LCD TV which I watch from a distance of 15 feet. And I don't want to spend on a TV again, since I watch very little to none of it for weeks together.

I was in your same situation a few months back. Took the plunge and bought the Panasonic AE200E 720p projector and a manual pull down screen. (Regret that coz I should have saved up a bit more and bought the 1080p) I have the projector ceiling mounted in my living room. Looks wise there is absolutely no probs coz it is a nice looking projector and its not imposing on the decor of the living room. But I did have the daytime task of darkening (drawing curtains, closing doors) the room before watching a movie coz my living room opens into the dining. The daytime watching was only to show off my friends the AV set up.The first few times it was kind of a chore and me being the lazy one gave up and even decided to sell it putting an add on the forum. Boy am i glad no one bought it coz now after watching a few movies I'm hooked. Trust me there is nothing like watching a movie on the big screen with a good 5.1 system to match. You wont go back to TV. You might also want to consider the Panasonic PT-AE4000u if you have the budget for it.
Regards.

I have had dreams about an HT way back in 1995. No one knew what an HT was way back then. I was in AUS and looking at a Sony SA-VA1 when the idea stuck to me:

60366le_27.jpeg

I zero'ed in on a projector long before a flat panel TV. I purchased Panasonic PT-AE700E (720p) projector in 2005. Full-HD was just round the corner and such projectors were not found a lot and those that were full-HD were $6000 and above - way beyond my spending capacity.

Anyway, I agree with Gijo George above ... but ... if you can manage a near dark room. See [post=249834]my HT Setup[/post]. I also have a 3-BR flat and one of the bedrooms is the HT room. But it is not always possible to darken the room because it may be in use. If you happen to take a break, the projector takes 5-6 minutes to restart. At such times, it is much simpler/easier to pop-in the disc in the player and start the TV and watch on.

The projector is great and I simply love it so much so that I have had no need to purchase a plasma/LCD till date. I still use my 21" BPL-Sanyo (1992) for watching TV. I am now going to upgrade but while I desire a grand 50" plasma, I have no pressing need for it.

At the same time, let me caution you. The projector is not for everyone. It is not convinient at all. The PJ must be setup properly where it is disturned as little as possible - best is ceiling mounted. The bulb will need replacing after 2000 hrs or so. Since the projector is most likely to be away from the AVR, DVD/BD Player and other equipment, you will also require long cables.

At the same time, I will probably never enjoy watching movies anywhere else. Nowadays, I do not even go to the movie halls. The last movies I saw at the cinemas were probably Dabangg (because we friends ganged up to go to a movie) and Harry Potter - TDH Part I. These days, I just buy the BD (when it is released) and watch at home. Ultimately the cost is same and there is no zanzhat of booking tickets, waiting in overcrowded hallways, odd timings (multiplexes start a movie at around 8~8:30 pm or after 10 pm), irritating cell phones ringing all over the hall, etc. On top of this there are the attrocious ticket prices, exhorbitant charges at eateries, ridiculous parking charges (if you manage parking inside the hall), and what not.

No Sir. Home is where the heart is..

But my rant has left your questions on the side. My advice is:
  • Projector in living room is not a good idea; especially if you receive lot of guests.
  • If you must have PJ in living room, consider giving it a permanent place such as a bookshelf (if not ceiling mount)
    HT013.jpg
  • Projector should be 90 to the projection screen
  • Must have a projection screen; wall is not good enough.
  • Visit the HT pictures of member Vinay. His HT setup is just too good. Or have a look at [post=249834]mine[/post] which is just about OK. Both have dedicated rooms.
  • Visit other forums too.

Last edited:
I was in your same situation a few months back. Took the plunge and bought the Panasonic AE200E 720p projector and a manual pull down screen. (Regret that coz I should have saved up a bit more and bought the 1080p) I have the projector ceiling mounted in my living room. Looks wise there is absolutely no probs coz it is a nice looking projector and its not imposing on the decor of the living room. But I did have the daytime task of darkening (drawing curtains, closing doors) the room before watching a movie coz my living room opens into the dining. The daytime watching was only to show off my friends the AV set up.The first few times it was kind of a chore and me being the lazy one gave up and even decided to sell it putting an add on the forum. Boy am i glad no one bought it coz now after watching a few movies I'm hooked. Trust me there is nothing like watching a movie on the big screen with a good 5.1 system to match. You wont go back to TV. You might also want to consider the Panasonic PT-AE4000u if you have the budget for it.
Regards.

Perrrrfectlllyyy Said George. It was a chore for me too. But once hooked....nothing looking back. And yes, Panasonic is simply awesome (1080p). Watching a movie on 190"+ Screen is SIMPLY MINDBLOWING !!!
My Recommendation:
For watching movie flicks - Projector (Full HD 1080p only)
For regular tv watching - LED TV (size of ur choice) rather a big size CRT for TataSky (barring HD Channels).
Cheers !!!

A complete black out is not required for watching a movie via projector, many a times i use in-direct lights, hold your eyes, these are 6 tube lights other then the usual color. Further if the need be i use only dimmer lights, you will be all the more out of your respective eyes, these are over 12 of them.

This lights feat can be achieved by any standard projector or screen provided you choose the right lights and place them correctly.

If one has the money to go for the outstanding projector and screen, then sky is the limit, you can even use direct lights to a major extent. The screens which i am using are world leaders like "Dalite" & "DNP".

To buy a 60 inch television is nothing short of blunder due to the cost and lesser view image area, moreover one will end up watching the usual programmes which are loads of shit and not to forget the movies with so many advertisements and what not.

Any sort of television for movie freaks is no match to a projector, it is like comparing a Nano car to Mercedes.

About using the projector bringing in many hassles, this does not hold ground by any standards.

V.

Last edited:
A complete black out is not required for watching a movie via projector...
Of course, its not required, but here we are comparing picture quality. If proper blackout is lacking, picture quality of any projector/screen combo will be substantially less than LCD/Plasma

To buy a 60 inch television is nothing short of blunder due to the cost and lesser view image area, moreover one will end up watching the usual programmes which are loads of shit and not to forget the movies with so many advertisements and what not.
I agree. With a hassle-free TV at hand, one might be tempted to watch normal non-HD programmes on it. This will ultimately result in lack of big-screen thrill when using it to watch movies/HD programmes. One has to establish some "home rules" and have self discipline to counter this.

Any sort of television for movie freaks is no match to a projector, it is like comparing a Nano car to Mercedes.

Its not like cinema halls have closed down for movie freaks, they don't really need a TV/projector :)
And sometimes its only a Nano car which is required to get from point A to B. Mercedes would be an overkill in such a situation :)

About using the projector bringing in many hassles, this does not hold ground by any standards.
:) Let me see-
- Buying & installation of projector
- Buying & installation of screen
- Buying and installing long audio video cables
- Separate room with blackout provision
- Installation of AC to avoid screen flutter
- Caring of screen, to avoid it getting dirty/wavy/torn
- Caring of projector, to avoid it getting dusty inside
- Power backup to let projector bulb cool off when electricity goes off
No hassles, did you say? :lol: Maybe not for people like us. But others may not think so.

Its not like cinema halls have closed down for movie freaks, they don't really need a TV/projector :)
And sometimes its only a Nano car which is required to get from point A to B. Mercedes would be an overkill in such a situation :)
Hmmm ...

As mentioned earlier, I have stopped going to the cinema halls. Here is a non-exhaustive list of reasons:
  • movie times are most unsuitable, especially in multiplexes; the evening show starts either between 8-8:30 pm (too early to finish dinner) or late night after 10 pm (show finishes too late, spoils the sleep)
  • tickets are attrociously priced; Rs. 200+ per person
  • ridiculous parking charges
  • no parking available on weekends; once I had to park my Santro outside on street and after the show it was minus the rear wiper - wiper replacement cost - a cool Rs. 1080/-. Nowadays there is a new phenomenon - manufacturer badges being stolen
  • no food allowed inside - not even a water bottle and water is sold at Rs. 25 per bottle inside
  • a samosa for Rs. 50!
  • the hallway is too cramped inside; after 15 minutes the O2 and CO2 percentages in the air seems to be reversed; no place to sit either
  • show begins late by 15 mins minimum invariably adding to the woes
  • constantly ringing cellphones inside the hall
  • unless you book in advance, you may end up getting the front seats
  • too loud sound system; the Indian cineplex operator thinks that modern DD/DTS/SDDS sound means run on full volume
  • some (a few) cinema hall owners even switch off the AC halfway during the show to save power - they turn it on and off intermitently so that it is not "felt"

Hmmm ...

As mentioned earlier, I have stopped going to the cinema halls. Here is a non-exhaustive list of reasons:
  • movie times are most unsuitable, especially in multiplexes; the evening show starts either between 8-8:30 pm (too early to finish dinner) or late night after 10 pm (show finishes too late, spoils the sleep)
  • tickets are attrociously priced; Rs. 200+ per person
  • ridiculous parking charges
  • no parking available on weekends; once I had to park my Santro outside on street and after the show it was minus the rear wiper - wiper replacement cost - a cool Rs. 1080/-. Nowadays there is a new phenomenon - manufacturer badges being stolen
  • no food allowed inside - not even a water bottle and water is sold at Rs. 25 per bottle inside
  • a samosa for Rs. 50!
  • the hallway is too cramped inside; after 15 minutes the O2 and CO2 percentages in the air seems to be reversed; no place to sit either
  • show begins late by 15 mins minimum invariably adding to the woes
  • constantly ringing cellphones inside the hall
  • unless you book in advance, you may end up getting the front seats
  • too loud sound system; the Indian cineplex operator thinks that modern DD/DTS/SDDS sound means run on full volume
  • some (a few) cinema hall owners even switch off the AC halfway during the show to save power - they turn it on and off intermitently so that it is not "felt"
Going to cinema is an "outing" for me and my family. I usually combine my movie going experience with dining/lunch, shopping, driving around, idling, talking and bonding with my family in general. At the end of such outings, whole family is happy, satisfied and refreshed. Its a fulfilling experience that can never be replicated sitting at home (projector or no projector).
Everything in the world has its costs and thus outing has its own costs too. I am surprised you are worried over paltry parking/samosa/water charges while having no reservations about spending 1 lakh plus in projector/screen setup.

Going to cinema is an "outing" for me and my family. I usually combine my movie going experience with dining/lunch, shopping, driving around, idling, talking and bonding with my family in general. At the end of such outings, whole family is happy, satisfied and refreshed. Its a fulfilling experience that can never be replicated sitting at home (projector or no projector).
Everything in the world has its costs and thus outing has its own costs too. I am surprised you are worried over paltry parking/samosa/water charges while having no reservations about spending 1 lakh plus in projector/screen setup.
Oh! I have outings too. I go out with my family to:

- restaurants and other eateries at least once a month - just yesterday we were out dining
- delightfull hill stations around Pune during monsson - Mahabaleshwar, Panchgani, Matheran, Khandala. All driven down - at least twice a year.
- sometimes we just take out my Civic and we zoom down the Pune-Mumbai expressway - wonderfull drive - end up at Vashi/Navi Mumbai and enjoy the mall there
- holidays elsewhere - once in a while.

But I am perfectly satisfied with my HT and so is my family (including my kid - which is surprising - he never asks me to take him to see any movie except for Harry Potter). My home theater was built long ago - even before I stopped going to movies. But now I find going to movies a real pain in the anatomy where the sun does not tan you. Cost is one and just one factor - other factors mentioned greatly override this. But these are my views and I don't expect even 1% compliance. :) Building the HT was not intended as a replacement to movies originally.

Last edited:
I have both LCD and Projector for watching Movies.....but when I switch off the lights and start watching movie with my Projector.....its a true movie experience which LCD TVs can never deliver.........and the cost per inch of Projectors are much lower than that of LCD TVs........:cool:)

Buy, whatever that suits your pocket and your requirement. As everyone has his or her own requirements. I bought a PJ first used it for some time, finally ended up buying a Big screen TV as i felt the need for the same. So it just depends what your needs and requirements are and what is the budget. Always remember you can't use a PJ as a TV as it has a bulb life factor to consider.

Projector World

It has always been my desire that movie regulars with good budget get into projector and see the ultimate power of watching a movie.

Further importantly i get excited to answer the queries on a projector and related, especially when there are so many factories of myths :rolleyes: flowing around, spread by doctor's or the one's who have never used a projector, or be it respective others.

I will assure you once again that the projector's real house for reasons is a ceiling, other placements could be a in-direct compromise.

Further be assured that a projector will look classy, no matter in which part of the house it is placed, as long as it is the ceiling.

I had used a projector lift, so it vanishes into the ceiling once i am done with the movie, as seen in the video of my Mini Theatre.

I will suggest to keep away from 8350 because of the reasons mentioned, even though i like it very much.

V.

Thanks Vinay for your feedback.. is definitely encouraging me towards projector(vs pricey large screen TV) :)

On the projector placement, I was inspired by what was mentioned in 8350's manual(attaching the snippet),
As the living room where I am planning this setup has the main entrance into the apartment, and all visitors are expected to be seated in the same room, I am somehow not comfortable to have a projector ceiling mounted which may look odd (may be just my personal opinion)

Will also try to reach the Hyd HFV member you mentioned and get a practical feel of the 8350 projector

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back