Projector Screen Size & Video Source Quality Discussion

vij

Would you buy a 100" screen for 9 feet viewing distance

Would you settle for a 100" screen for 9 feet viewing distance ?

Would you settle for a 100" screen for 10 feet viewing distance ?

Opinions please.

Re: Would you buy a 100" screen for 9 feet viewing distance

why dont you just project on wall and see for yourself what size is suitable for your eyes from 9 feet

why dont you just project on wall and see for yourself what size is suitable for your eyes from 9 feet

I am not finishing the walls. Will be getting anutone paneling on the projector wall - Would like to have the projector screen fixed and then have the panels around it.

I am going to get the dealer install everything in one go - I don't want to tinker the mount or anything later on.

Quite frankly I am confused - just wanted opinions if the screen size of 100" is something people have done at under 10 feet.

Last edited:

I am assuming you are referring to the diagonal measurement of 100" for a 16:9 ratio screen. In my opinion that will be fine because when you watch a widescreen presentation on a 16:9 screen due to letterboxing (which are majority anyways for most movies nowadays) the projected image is nowhere close to the 100 inch screen size and is reduced considerably. So you should be able to watch comfortably. I watch a 106" screen from 13' away and I love it. Gives me a feeling of total immersion.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

I am assuming you are referring to the diagnol measurement of 100" for a 16:9 ratio screen. In my opinion that will be fine because when you watch a widescreen presentation on a 16:9 screen due to letterboxing (which are majority anyways for most movies nowadays) the projected image is nowhere close to the 100 inch screen size and is reduced considerably. So you should be able to watch comfortably. I watch a 106" screen from 13' away and I love it. Gives me a feeling of total immersion.
Cheers,
Sid
Thanks for the answer.

106" at 13' feet you say... hmm... How do you like your screen at 10 feet ?

btw, I will also be watching some TV - sports mainly

Hi

Get a 92 inch screen for comfortable viewing. I have 106 inch pull down which I feel too big. I should have got 92 or 100 inch. I feel 92 will be optimal.

Regards
Srikar

Hi

Get a 92 inch screen for comfortable viewing. I have 106 inch pull down which I feel too big. I should have got 92 or 100 inch. I feel 92 will be optimal.

Regards
Srikar
What is your viewing distance?

Thanks for the answer.

106" at 13' feet you say... hmm... How do you like your screen at 10 feet ?

btw, I will also be watching some TV - sports mainly

Have not tried extended viewing at that distance. BTW I watched some WC cricket matches and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

I watch at 10 feet to view 106 inch screen

regards
srikar

i watch a 120" screen from a distance of 12 feet and i absolutely love it. I can confirm to you that a good projector and good material (dvd is also fine) will render a nice picture without any noticeable dots.
That said, it depends on what kind of person you are. Where do you sit in a movie theater? Do you sit waaaaaay back or at the center? Even in multiplexes i sit about 40% distance from the front - i love the immersive experience. If i sit way back, i feel like i'm "looking at" a movie and not "in it".

Would you settle for a 100" screen for 9 feet viewing distance ?

Would you settle for a 100" screen for 10 feet viewing distance ?

Opinions please.

It all depends on you, how big you like it. For sanity purpose, simple test is use a black electrical tape and fix it on wall.

I watch 135inch screen from 15feet distance and i love it.

I do 10-13 myself in my tiny studio apt. 100 inch screen. 720p Acer 5380

120' FROM 10'-12' is good. Don't let anyone tell you the picture is too big. It's always too small after a few days of getting used to.

Yes Sanjay you are right, last year I bought 50'' samsung led, in few days it started looking small, so this year, few days back got projector ... ;) 12 feet - getting 110inch. Now I'm happy again....

I am building this HT and I have not been able to make a clear decision on the screen size.

I would be sitting around 10ft from the screen. I am leaning on 92" because I would be watching a lot of "cough cough" downloaded 1080 rips and 720 rips. Also lot of HD TV channels.

Now if everything was bluray I am certain I can go with 100" - but for the 1080 rips and especially 720 rips - I think its safer to settle for 92" screen @ 10ft. What do you people think?

Request all projector owners to share their experiences of screen size and viewing comfort with the different video sources.

for nine feet distance even 110" screen is good
The topic is abt video source quality and how it could affect choice of screen size. Now I'm sure bluray will hold up gud with 100" at 9ft. But what about compressed 1080 n 720p rips?

Last edited:
i am using ps3 through ps3 media servers for blu ray rips .till now not faced any quality issues . but dvd rips are not so clear . better to see only 720p or 1080 p content.may be take some rips blu ray and dvd put on your pendrive,take your video source & try & then conclude.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back