Projector Vs 75 in TV

tashan_infinite

Hi

I have a room which is 27 ft long and 14 ft wide. On one end of 27 ft is the bed and on the other end I either want to have a projector screen or a TV. I don't want to run many cables. For audio I just bought Samsung Q950A soundbar. I have a slot in the ceiling if I want to add a projector. It is 13.5 ft away from the wall where the screen would be projected. Primary content to be watched is netflix, prime etc. No DTH.

Samsung Q950A is wireless and can be connected to either TV or a projector without any wires so that issue is sorted.

My question is whether to go for a 75 in TV in which case audio will be very nice as soundbar can be connected via HDMI Arc (Dolby Atmos) or go for a projector and connect it using wifi and bluetooth (No dolby atmos) with the soundbar. I am looking to spend 1.5 lacs only. I can put two couches between the bed and the wall so that viewing distance can be reduced to 15 ft or so.

What can you guys suggest for me ? I am so so confused.

There has been a lot of debate here on projector vs large screen TV.
It's truly a personal preference.
I sit firmly in the projector camp. I watch 150" at 15 feet.
At 15 feet, 75" will just not cut it.
For a truly immersive experience, there is no alternative to a projector.
But a projector needs light control. Daytime viewing in sunlit rooms just doesn't work.

Watching in the darkness can cause eye/head strain after extended periods, do consider that. I have 3 projectors that I've put up for sale.

The ease of use of a TV and the comfortable viewing combined with better picture would steer me that way.

If you want a very large screen then a projector is a cheap way to do that. Make sure to use the online calculators to see what size image you would get with your choice of projector from the available throw distance.

Room has two windows of 7.5 ft by 7.5 ft and a door opening to balcony. But all that can be sorted using curtains etc. Firestick with the projector can sort out the connectivity of the soundbar with the projector.

Question is which projector to be bought which is good enough but below 1.5 lacs ? I think 4k is not required from that distance because from bed the distance can be almost 26 fts and from couch it is 15 or something.

Watching in the darkness can cause eye/head strain after extended periods, do consider that. I have 3 projectors that I've put up for sale.

The ease of use of a TV and the comfortable viewing combined with better picture would steer me that way.

If you want a very large screen then a projector is a cheap way to do that. Make sure to use the online calculators to see what size image you would get with your choice of projector from the available throw distance.
90 inches to 135 inches from 13.5 ft for most of the projectors.

Hi

I have a room which is 27 ft long and 14 ft wide. On one end of 27 ft is the bed and on the other end I either want to have a projector screen or a TV. I don't want to run many cables. For audio I just bought Samsung Q950A soundbar. I have a slot in the ceiling if I want to add a projector. It is 13.5 ft away from the wall where the screen would be projected. Primary content to be watched is netflix, prime etc. No DTH.

Samsung Q950A is wireless and can be connected to either TV or a projector without any wires so that issue is sorted.

My question is whether to go for a 75 in TV in which case audio will be very nice as soundbar can be connected via HDMI Arc (Dolby Atmos) or go for a projector and connect it using wifi and bluetooth (No dolby atmos) with the soundbar. I am looking to spend 1.5 lacs only. I can put two couches between the bed and the wall so that viewing distance can be reduced to 15 ft or so.

What can you guys suggest for me ? I am so so confused.
Properly calibrated projector would be a far better option. As 27 feet is too much for a 75" tv.
Don't worry about eye strain.
I have been using projector since 6 years and will never go back to TV as projectors are easy on eyes

If its for dedicated room then projector is fine. Its just that if u truly want the truly rewarding image of a projector, U have to control lighting as a mandatory religious step - it is a must to be done every single time u watch it even if it is for a few minutes. And its not just about curtains. For truly solid good black levels and sensible contrast, u must block every single tiniest point of light source with a truly light blocking cloth material. Your ceiling should not be white near the top of projector screen else the image will bounce from screen to ceiling and back from the ceiling to the screen and will wash out the entire image - irrespective whether you have blocked external light from curtains or not. The other visible pain about curtains is the black bars in movies if you are using for movies only. Most movies are in 2.35:1 aspect ratio and your 16:9 screen will be used only about 70% portion for such movies if you want to be honest to aspect ratio which ideally one should be (no zooming). These black bars then again have a distracting effect if you dont have a light blocking material covering the bar portion - there are ways to resolve this issue either via a manual shifting /pull down/ motorized screen to the most expensive Rich class option of custom anamoprphic Lens. So all in all it becomes a demanding set up that require one's significant time and effort. But the reward again is phenomenal compared to any TV experience

If it is for a hall/common room where its the option for multiple ppl watching soaps, TV, news etc and you cant control lighting, then nothing beats a bright LCD TV. The convenience of a TV set up though really unimmersive in comparison to a projector is simply unbeatable

Properly calibrated projector would be a far better option. As 27 feet is too much for a 75" tv.
Don't worry about eye strain.
I have been using projector since 6 years and will never go back to TV as projectors are easy on eyes
Have you used a projector set up for 8+ hours a day, every day, for a few years? Just curious.

Projectors are in general better suited to mild usage, a few movies (or episodes) a week is OK.

If its for dedicated room then projector is fine. Its just that if u truly want the truly rewarding image of a projector, U have to control lighting as a mandatory religious step - it is a must to be done every single time u watch it even if it is for a few minutes. And its not just about curtains. For truly solid good black levels and sensible contrast, u must block every single tiniest point of light source with a truly light blocking cloth material. Your ceiling should not be white near the top of projector screen else the image will bounce from screen to ceiling and back from the ceiling to the screen and will wash out the entire image - irrespective whether you have blocked external light from curtains or not. The other visible pain about curtains is the black bars in movies if you are using for movies only. Most movies are in 2.35:1 aspect ratio and your 16:9 screen will be used only about 70% portion for such movies if you want to be honest to aspect ratio which ideally one should be (no zooming). These black bars then again have a distracting effect if you dont have a light blocking material covering the bar portion - there are ways to resolve this issue either via a manual shifting /pull down/ motorized screen to the most expensive Rich class option of custom anamoprphic Lens. So all in all it becomes a demanding set up that require one's significant time and effort. But the reward again is phenomenal compared to any TV experience

If it is for a hall/common room where its the option for multiple ppl watching soaps, TV, news etc and you cant control lighting, then nothing beats a bright LCD TV. The convenience of a TV set up though really unimmersive in comparison to a projector is simply unbeatable

Its for my bedroom. Except for the wall where the bed is everything is white. Ceiling and walls are all white. I can darken the room without windows but getting the ceiling repainted is bit difficult for now.

A brighter color on the wall will affect the image but perhaps not as much as some would have you believe. A greater concern is an absolute dark room. If you can't completely black out the room then it would severely affect the image. The windows and balcony door may stand out as troublespots.

I guess projector is the only way to go. I researched came to Epson TW9400, TW5820 but there is 60k or something difference between the two. Can you guys help me choose or suggest some alternatives ? Distance from screen to projector is 13.5 ft and this is fixed as I have left a spot in the ceiling for it. These projectors can cast a screen size of 135 inches in that distance which should be sufficient.
Content to be watched - Streaming from Netflix, Prime etc only.
Other constraints - Don't want to run wires. So I would probably use a firestick or something. I should be looking at powered USB port right ?Connect that to wifi. Use firestick's bluetooth to connect Samsung soundbar Q950A.
Budget - 1.5 lacs is preferred but if something is really good then may up it. But still 1.5 lac is the preferred budget for me.
help me out please.
Ceiling mount only.

Last edited:
The 9400 is the better of the two IMO.

Do note that as the screen size becomes larger the image becomes dimmer.

Is the 9400 available for 1.5L? If so that's a great price and you should get it.

Have you used a projector set up for 8+ hours a day, every day, for a few years? Just curious.

Projectors are in general better suited to mild usage, a few movies (or episodes) a week is OK.
I have used my projector for both TV games as well as movies for past year or so...though my usage is not as high as you of 8 hours plus day... It is around 4 hours per day... I have my tv and projector both setup in my living room... My 65 inch tv is hardly turned on now only when we need both screens.. My wife watches on tv while I game on the projector

13.5 ' distance.
What's between the sitting position and the screen /wall ? The bed must be around 6' .
If you have empty space, get a motorized screen, mounted on the ceiling , at maybe half the distance.
So for a distance of around 8 to 9 ft , a projector will be quite sharp.
But as pointed out , what will be your average viewing hours everyday ?
Projectors have expensive bulbs , that need replacing.

I have used my projector for both TV games as well as movies for past year or so...though my usage is not as high as you of 8 hours plus day... It is around 4 hours per day... I have my tv and projector both setup in my living room... My 65 inch tv is hardly turned on now only when we need both screens.. My wife watches on tv while I game on the projector

4 hours a day is also significant if used in total darkness with no light source other than the projector. When I was using the projector then the strain was evident.

4 hours a day is also significant if used in total darkness with no light source other than the projector. When I was using the projector then the strain was evident.
Okay i actually feel much lesser eye strain through my projector compared to either my computer 23 inch monitor or 65 inch tv... Maybe the distance to the projected screen plays a role

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back