Projector Vs 75 in TV

Having seen many different projectors in private theaters from entry level to the expensive side, at the price of the LS I would want to explore other options as well if I were in the market for a porjector before pulling the trigger.

I don't think LS12000 will launch here this year. Its confirmed to launch in US only next year. So, it might take even 6 months due to chip shortage and what not.
If it launches here sooner, then even I might grab one.
The reason behind that could be the immense popularity of 5050ub/6050ub. Epson won't be withdrawing them any time sooner from the markets. I was just giving an option to OP.

I'm not sure what you mean? What would be he difference for you between a projector or TV of equivalent size? Other than than the TV likely having higher brightness,contrast etc what other differences would exist? Not to mention the TV would not need a darkened room.
If those things were to be tr
The reason behind that could be the immense popularity of 5050ub/6050ub. Epson won't be withdrawing them any time sooner from the markets. I was just giving an option to OP.
And they should not. I will be the first one to say this, I am a baniya :p but even at 2L I can tell you that the 9400 aka 6050ub is such great vfm and just has awesome features+build+picture quality, basically everything...especially if you are not someone who has used many other projectors...there are more expensive projectors with even better pq but IMHO 9400 sits at a sweet spot after which the diminishing returns kick in

If those things were to be tr

And they should not. I will be the first one to say this, I am a baniya :p but even at 2L I can tell you that the 9400 aka 6050ub is such great vfm and just has awesome features+build+picture quality, basically everything...especially if you are not someone who has used many other projectors...there are more expensive projectors with even better pq but IMHO 9400 sits at a sweet spot after which the diminishing returns kick in

I agree with this, for years, possibly a decade, the top end of Epson's HT projectors such as the 5050 and it's predecessors, not including the laser projectors, have sat in a sweet spot of price to enjoyment that is unmatched. You get an overall nice image (for a projector) at a price thats not too steep for many people, and it has shown in it's success. If you have the budget and want a projector it is the go to choice. Sony's budget series is next in line.

Nothing beats 9400 for the price. Epson knows it, too.

I am curious to see how Epson has bettered it. I hope it's worth the wait
.​

Hi

I have a room which is 27 ft long and 14 ft wide. On one end of 27 ft is the bed and on the other end I either want to have a projector screen or a TV. I don't want to run many cables. For audio I just bought Samsung Q950A soundbar. I have a slot in the ceiling if I want to add a projector. It is 13.5 ft away from the wall where the screen would be projected. Primary content to be watched is netflix, prime etc. No DTH.

Samsung Q950A is wireless and can be connected to either TV or a projector without any wires so that issue is sorted.

My question is whether to go for a 75 in TV in which case audio will be very nice as soundbar can be connected via HDMI Arc (Dolby Atmos) or go for a projector and connect it using wifi and bluetooth (No dolby atmos) with the soundbar. I am looking to spend 1.5 lacs only. I can put two couches between the bed and the wall so that viewing distance can be reduced to 15 ft or so.

What can you guys suggest for me ? I am so so confused.
You must go for projectors in case of large rooms and you can control lights and place enough audio channels around. Or for a TV for that kind of distance possibly an 85" TV as that's the current biggest size available for 1.9 lakhs range (TCL) but I won't vouch for TCL or Xaomi or Vu as taking reliability factor.
Maybe a 75" from Sony or LG às they are a reliable brand,however for that price you get only an ips panel which is barely going to please you. Projectors for heavy duty use and with eye candy performance has to be in the range of 3-4.5 lakhs in your case.
Or you could do one other thing - buy the 85" TCL for 1.9 lakhs, they give three years warranty and start saving for a projector in those years and most likely after the three years there would be a major fault, and kind of expect it (unlike Sony or LG). When your savings reach the target go for a projector with a rolling screen that can alternate between the TV(if luckily lasting more than 3 years) and projector to give both a longer life. That's what I would do if I were in your situation.

No TV can beat a projector vis a vis image size and immersiveness. Just ask the JVL owners.

Personally I prefer my Mi laser projector when I want large image. I have a 150 DIY screen and a 120 ALR screen. Watching 4K movies ......you simply cannot see the details on TV which are seen on large screens. Combined with AVR...........

I prefer laser projector currently and am waiting for a budget friendly one.

This

has come to my radar recently. The contrast ratio is unchanged 3000:1....but dolby vision, well it's interesting development. And the price is also not bad.

No TV can beat a projector vis a vis image size and immersiveness. Just ask the JVL owners.

Personally I prefer my Mi laser projector when I want large image. I have a 150 DIY screen and a 120 ALR screen. Watching 4K movies ......you simply cannot see the details on TV which are seen on large screens. Combined with AVR...........

I prefer laser projector currently and am waiting for a budget friendly one.

This

has come to my radar recently. The contrast ratio is unchanged 3000:1....but dolby vision, well it's interesting development. And the price is also not bad.
Available in india ?

Hi

I have a room which is 27 ft long and 14 ft wide. On one end of 27 ft is the bed and on the other end I either want to have a projector screen or a TV. I don't want to run many cables. For audio I just bought Samsung Q950A soundbar. I have a slot in the ceiling if I want to add a projector. It is 13.5 ft away from the wall where the screen would be projected. Primary content to be watched is netflix, prime etc. No DTH.

Samsung Q950A is wireless and can be connected to either TV or a projector without any wires so that issue is sorted.

My question is whether to go for a 75 in TV in which case audio will be very nice as soundbar can be connected via HDMI Arc (Dolby Atmos) or go for a projector and connect it using wifi and bluetooth (No dolby atmos) with the soundbar. I am looking to spend 1.5 lacs only. I can put two couches between the bed and the wall so that viewing distance can be reduced to 15 ft or so.

What can you guys suggest for me ? I am so so confused.
Highly recommend a projector if you can control lights ( darkness, actually !! ) in your room.

Hi, lot of good suggestions already.

I envy your room; it is indeed made for a projector.
Since you have set three hard parameters (Soundbar bought, projector over TV, and budget locked at 1.5L), go for the TW9400.
Am however curious about how you will place your soundbar.

Alternatively, there are also other laser options available if you bump your budget a bit.
But since you have mentioned your work-life balance already, no harm in getting the Epson and getting started. Everything else will fall in place.
You can even start with throwing it on a wall! Just enjoy the downtime you get.

Only additional point I will add is this:
If you really enjoy your movies, just buy two screens, a fixed 2.35:1 from any decent manufacturer, and a retractable 16:9 screen that you can hang in front of it. TW9400 allows you to set aspect ratio in memory.

Or if you really, really enjoy your movies, you could write to these people to see how much it costs to get them to ship to India:
https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/screens/gemini

Cheers and regards

Last edited:
Hi, lot of good suggestions already.

I envy your room; it is indeed made for a projector.
Since you have set three hard parameters (Soundbar bought, projector over TV, and budget locked at 1.5L), go for the TW9400.
Am however curious about how you will place your soundbar.

Alternatively, there are also other laser options available if you bump your budget a bit.
But since you have mentioned your work-life balance already, no harm in getting the Epson and getting started. Everything else will fall in place.
You can even start with throwing it on a wall! Just enjoy the downtime you get.

Only additional point I will add is this:
If you really enjoy your movies, just buy two screens, a fixed 2.35:1 from any decent manufacturer, and a retractable 16:9 screen that you can hang in front of it. TW9400 allows you to set aspect ratio in memory.

Or if you really, really enjoy your movies, you could write to these people to see how much it costs to get them to ship to India:
https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/screens/gemini

Cheers and regards
Thanks. Soundbar is phenomenal. I will put soundbar and woofer in front. Need something to put the soundbar on. Two speakers at the back, behind me. Since all are wireless it is going to be easy.
Two quotes for TW9400 are 1.98 and 1.85 (Available in Nov end). Gotta meet the seller and negotiate.
Can't move to laser or anything because I am already stretching the budget.
I have attached the pic with the screen wall in front. View is from the bed. Room needs curtains, ac etc...

Attachments

• IMG20211112230708-min.jpg
    IMG20211112230708-min.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 50
Thanks. Soundbar is phenomenal. I will put soundbar and woofer in front. Need something to put the soundbar on. Two speakers at the back, behind me. Since all are wireless it is going to be easy.
Two quotes for TW9400 are 1.98 and 1.85 (Available in Nov end). Gotta meet the seller and negotiate.
Can't move to laser or anything because I am already stretching the budget.
I have attached the pic with the screen wall in front. View is from the bed. Room needs curtains, ac etc...
One thing, if your wall is white which seems like that in picture... You can try tw9400 directly on the wall... I have been using it on my white wall directly and quite happy personally..

^Also the room is enormous and a screen needs to be wall to wall for this size room. So first try directly projecting on wall and get used to that as it is already white. then decide on the maximum screen size possible from available options in market. The bigger the better

^Also the room is enormous and a screen needs to be wall to wall for this size room. So first try directly projecting on wall and get used to that as it is already white. then decide on the maximum screen size possible from available options in market. The bigger the better
Yeah the one problem is that the switch is right in the middle so will need to be removed

One can use an extension board with a surge protector and place it where convenient and accessible .
No no I meant if he wants to project it on that wall, the switchboard is right in the middle of the wall and he will need to hide and paint over it otherwise it would be in the center of the projected image

I project wall to wall on a grey painted wall. It improves the contrast a bit. I used the mix suggested here in the forum. Works out pretty fine. Even the 9400 at home is projected on a grey wall. That one is phenomenal.
Not able to source the TW9400. Still trying. Any thoughts on Sony HW65ES ?
The demand is high. I don't suggest the Sony. Epson is way brighter which will help you in tonemapping HDR content. Trust me, you will go that route once you know what 9400 is capable of with MadVR.

The quoted prices are fine. Try to close it at 1.8L.

Good luck.

TW9400 available after 15 days or so. A guy is ready to give a demo of TW8300 (Older version of 9400) but can't sell. He says if 8300 is 18 then 9400 is 20. TW7100 is available at 1.22 lacs and Benq 800 M for 1.37 lacs. Benq 800M and TW8300 demo side by side is available.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back