Projector Vs 75 in TV

Do you also view the monitor or TV in the dark? The primary contributor to strain is viewing a bright display light source in the dark for extended periods. If it helps my distance was about 10 feet for a 96" image. I viewed this in total darkness (with lights off you couldn't see your hand in front of your face) except for the projector light source for about 8-10 hours a day, every day, for about 3-4 years.

Do you also view the monitor or TV in the dark? The primary contributor to strain is viewing a bright display light source in the dark for extended periods. If it helps my distance was about 10 feet for a 96" image. I viewed this in total darkness (with lights off you couldn't see your hand in front of your face) except for the projector light source for about 8-10 hours a day, every day, for about 3-4 years.
Okay.. No i dont watch the monitor or tv in darkness... My projector is setup in the living room so I wouldn't say it is pitch dark like yours but it is quite dark.. I use a 150 inch screen at about 18 feet

the lesser pain in projector has a simple reason- projector's source of light primarily throws light on screen and then it reflects from the screen and comes back to eyes so we are the second point of contact and it gets diluted on the way. TV's first and last point of contact is human eye . thats why we feel more exhausted with TV for same duration of viewing. Its Kind of like looking directly at the Sun vs Looking at a house completely bathed in sunlight

Okay.. No i dont watch the monitor or tv in darkness... My projector is setup in the living room so I wouldn't say it is pitch dark like yours but it is quite dark.. I use a 150 inch screen at about 18 feet
I haven't calculated it but field of view may also be at work. If your room is not totally dark like I described then the strain will be less. With lights on I had little to no strain on the projector, similar to a TV. Also I do not know what projector you have but at 150 inches the image will be significantly dimmer for a given projector opposed to the same projector projecting a 100" image. I think this plays a very large part, for reference I would set it as bright as I could while maintaining a good picture. I also always operated it in high lamp mode in standard or dynamic. Cinema looked like garbage to me.

I haven't calculated it but field of view may also be at work. If your room is not totally dark like I described then the strain will be less. With lights on I had little to no strain on the projector, similar to a TV. Also I do not know what projector you have but at 150 inches the image will be significantly dimmer for a given projector opposed to the same projector projecting a 100" image. I think this plays a very large part, for reference I would set it as bright as I could while maintaining a good picture. I also always operated it in high lamp mode in standard or dynamic. Cinema looked like garbage to me.
Yes i think those are the contributing factors... I have an Epson TW9400... It is actually so bright at 150 feet that I have to reduce the brightness to use digital cinema filter and in eco mode... During daytime I need to run it at high brightness and high power but that is because there is quite a lot of light in the room..

I think we can safely surmise that in your case the room which is not completely dark, coupled with low brightness preferences and lower usage (and perhaps field of view) have contributed to lower eye strain. For reference I currently have a BenQ Ht1075, an Epson EB-1980WU and an Epson TW8300.

I can't imagine you like daytime viewing with a lot of light in the room.

I think we can safely surmise that in your case the room which is not completely dark, coupled with low brightness preferences and lower usage (and perhaps field of view) have contributed to lower eye strain. For reference I currently have a BenQ Ht1075, an Epson EB-1980WU and an Epson TW8300.

I can't imagine you like daytime viewing with a lot of light in the room.
No I dont and it is a simple case of putting a curtain in front of my kitchen where most of the light comes from...but my wife doesn't like the idea and believes it will not look good...It is not entirely bad as I don't have much time during the day to watch anyways so it is sub-optimal during day but not a deal breaker for me

No I dont and it is a simple case of putting a curtain in front of my kitchen where most of the light comes from...but my wife doesn't like the idea and believes it will not look good...It is not entirely bad as I don't have much time during the day to watch anyways so it is sub-optimal during day but not a deal breaker for me
I understand, I think you would greatly benefit from more light control.

I use my projector in my living room. I am at the mercy of thick curtains. Yes, I agree that one need a cave to truly benefit the image. But trust me, once the movie starts, you'll get sucked into it.

I own both 9400 and 5820. Both are fine projectors and super bright. But 9400 is the big daddy. Absolutely brilliant image.

The bulb isn't expensive when compared to other brands.

I am still on my original bulb. I have been watching 3-5 hours everyday since I bought 5820. My 9400 is at home.

Check with our FMs whether they can give you a demo. Take time and slowly convert the room into a cave. Convince your spouse by taking her along to audition and ask her opinions. Make her feel like she's doing the theatre. Watch magic happen.

A black ceiling will improve the contrast tremendously, no doubt.

You can find a lot of information on how people made great theatres in their living rooms. As I always say, step by step.

Please raise your budget a bit, go with 9400. You're set. We have a lot of owners here. Everytime you turn them on, you will pat yourself for the decision to go with projector room.

In my opinion, a TV and a Projector are mutually Exclusive. Each one has its own purpose and neither can do the other's job. I have not read through the thread, however, unless it's a dedication room, my vote would be for a TV. I have a projector with 3500 nits and it's super bright, but it still needs the curtains to be drawn to really enjoy the colours. I use it strictly for Movie Nights, TV handles everything else.

MaSh

In my opinion, a TV and a Projector are mutually Exclusive. Each one has its own purpose and neither can do the other's job. I have not read through the thread, however, unless it's a dedication room, my vote would be for a TV. I have a projector with 3500 nits and it's super bright, but it still needs the curtains to be drawn to really enjoy the colours. I use it strictly for Movie Nights, TV handles everything else.

MaSh

I do have a dedicated room but the projector eventually got tiring. Lets be honest, everyone here only buys a projector for the big size vs cost. If equally large TVs were available for similar cost and one could fit them in their homes then there would be no market for projectors.

I do have a dedicated room but the projector eventually got tiring. Lets be honest, everyone here only buys a projector for the big size vs cost. If equally large TVs were available for similar cost and one could fit them in their homes then there would be no market for projectors.
Well, it's not so simple. Big size image, yes, but a projector gives a perspective that a TV cannot. And no, I would never want a TV that huge. For me, a TV is casual viewing and something that is used on a daily basis and the Projector is for Movie nights only.

MaSh

Well, it's not so simple. Big size image, yes, but a projector gives a perspective that a TV cannot. And no, I would never want a TV that huge. For me, a TV is casual viewing and something that is used on a daily basis and the Projector is for Movie nights only.

MaSh

I'm not sure what you mean? What would be he difference for you between a projector or TV of equivalent size? Other than than the TV likely having higher brightness,contrast etc what other differences would exist? Not to mention the TV would not need a darkened room.

I'm not sure what you mean? What would be he difference for you between a projector or TV of equivalent size? Other than than the TV likely having higher brightness,contrast etc what other differences would exist? Not to mention the TV would not need a darkened room.
And I did not understand which part you are not getting? I can roll up my Projector screen when not in use. Can I roll up a TV of that size? That aside, I just don't find a TV that huge a practical component.

Anyways, lets not go OT here with our personal preferences.

MaSh

I have decided on the projector. TV is no more an option. I am confused between 9400 and 5820 due to the price difference. Thats it.

I need wireless connectivity. Just want to use streaming.

My nature of work keeps me away for 14 days to 35 days and then I get equivalent holidays and I want to utilize a lot of time in viewing.

Room length is 27 ft. Projector will be at center i.e 13.5 ft throw distance and that gives me roughly 90-140" image. On one side is my bed and from bed the viewing distance to the projector screen wall is 26 feet. I can put two couches between the bed and the projector screen which will bring down the viewing distance to 15 ft. This is not a concern anymore as I can decrease the image size if sitting on the couch and increase if viewing from bed.

Yes there are two large windows of 7.5 ft * 7.5 ft but since its a bedroom I can use curtains. Wall is currently painted absolute white with glossy paint. If it doesn't suit then may be a motorized screen can be added.

Soundbar is already purchased (Samsung Q950A) and has excellent reviews.

And I did not understand which part you are not getting? I can roll up my Projector screen when not in use. Can I roll up a TV of that size? That aside, I just don't find a TV that huge a practical component.

Anyways, lets not go OT here with our personal preferences.

MaSh

I am curious to hear more about why you'd prefer a Projector over a TV of the same size, may I PM you to not clutter the thread?

I have decided on the projector. TV is no more an option. I am confused between 9400 and 5820 due to the price difference. Thats it.

I need wireless connectivity. Just want to use streaming.

My nature of work keeps me away for 14 days to 35 days and then I get equivalent holidays and I want to utilize a lot of time in viewing.

Room length is 27 ft. Projector will be at center i.e 13.5 ft throw distance and that gives me roughly 90-140" image. On one side is my bed and from bed the viewing distance to the projector screen wall is 26 feet. I can put two couches between the bed and the projector screen which will bring down the viewing distance to 15 ft. This is not a concern anymore as I can decrease the image size if sitting on the couch and increase if viewing from bed.

Yes there are two large windows of 7.5 ft * 7.5 ft but since its a bedroom I can use curtains. Wall is currently painted absolute white with glossy paint. If it doesn't suit then may be a motorized screen can be added.

Soundbar is already purchased (Samsung Q950A) and has excellent reviews.

One more suggestion.

Epson may soon introduce LS12000 in India. It's a laser projector with Epson's tone mapping. A laser 9400 with tone mapping. May be you should wait a month or two before you pull the trigger.

Drop a mail to Epson India and ask about the availability of these lasers in India.

Two months may seem like a long time when you're all thrilled to do your theatre. But imagine the agony if you bought the 9400 and ls12000 released next week or month
.​

One more suggestion.

Epson may soon introduce LS12000 in India. It's a laser projector with Epson's tone mapping. A laser 9400 with tone mapping. May be you should wait a month or two before you pull the trigger.

Drop a mail to Epson India and ask about the availability of these lasers in India.

Two months may seem like a long time when you're all thrilled to do your theatre. But imagine the agony if you bought the 9400 and ls12000 released next week or month
.​
I don't think LS12000 will launch here this year. Its confirmed to launch in US only next year. So, it might take even 6 months due to chip shortage and what not.
If it launches here sooner, then even I might grab one.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back