Pune HFV Meet 2010

Hi everybody,
All good things come to an end, so that new good things can begin. With the end of Demo# 9 it was time to get back into "real world". Was it 1 am or 1:30am in the night? Or did it matter?

Even after packing the stuff and getting down to parking level for departure we ended up discussing things for another 30-45 mins. I was scared that the people sleeping in flats above would anytime come down and give us a sound (audiophile-grade) bashing:lol:!

We parted finally with mutual round of sincere thanks. (Viki any amount of thanks to you is not enough! Same for Amit and Anand from AVxllence!).

It is funny :rolleyes: and regretful that sometimes we almost forget to thank our foundation, something we take for granted. I am really thankful to HFV for getting all the audiophiles together. I am thankful to Supermod, Mods, and audio-gurus (including those who are not members anymore) who have made HFV an indespensible part of our lives.

Regds,
Sonosphere

Last edited:
At one point while checking Viki's AVR we also did a back to back comparo of LP vs CD. Viki hunted down a cd of the same album that jaggervm had. Don't remember exact name. Almost every body agreed that the LP was superior. I personally felt that details were better in the LP while the cd had more range in the upper end. Others can fill in with their points.

Many many thanks to Viki for putting up with us. Also a special thanks to his family for putting up with us playing the same sequence of songs over & over again. The samosas, dhoklas & pizzas were out of the world when combined with the music. (my diet went for a toss that day).

Sonosphere - You have done a brilliant job of compiling the results. I would suggest that the methodology adopted could be standardised by all HFV meets so that we will get uniform feedback on more and more gear.

Many thanks to all HFV members for helping in making this happen.

Hey Sono, Sridhar, jagger and all you other guys who made it to the meet:

I enjoyed having all of you over immensely - as I told you then, it was the most fun I had in a long time.

Just lemme know when we're doing it again :)

Viki

If I correctly understand what you are trying to say, my opinion is:
- Difficulty in separating behaviour has not led to mixed response (and it shouldn't either... you shouldn't "think" that a combo is sounding warm, because you "know" that the associated gear is known to sound warm. You should directly "feel" how it sounds, without caring what is causing it)
Indeed prejudice leads to difficulties in evaluating audio equipment. Since I wanted to go past that I continued looking for ways to improve my system. I have already posted about getting thicker cables, which lead to a good improvement. The second thing I did was to use my blu-ray player in place of dvd player for audio-cd playback. It also resulted in an improvement, although by a small amount. More below.

- Yes. There can be general guidelines based on "general" opinion published in media or personal discussions. For e.g to my knowledge NAD amps are considered "warm", whereas Rotel amps are considered "Forward /Sharp". Similar guidelines are floating around for speakers. Now, you can use this info anyway you want. You may use it to "predict" how certain gear may sound if paired together...

While this is true, I still wasn't satisfied. Next step was to evaluate either speakers or amplifier. Amplifier was easier with a software spectrum analyzer and a laptop. It turns out that my PACE amplifier has a low distortion (lower than 0.3% which is my measurement limit), but has a huge cross-talk. L channel leaks into R and vice versa at my regular playing volumes. The cross-talk is sufficiently large that the amplifier needs to be upgraded first (before speakers). Will post more information on this as I experiment and arrive at a next amplifier.

is there going to be the next "Pune HFV Meet 2011" some time in near future? I missed it last time so eagerly looking forward to the next meet :)

Hey Sono, Sridhar, jagger and all you other guys who made it to the meet:

I enjoyed having all of you over immensely - as I told you then, it was the most fun I had in a long time.

Just lemme know when we're doing it again :)

Viki

Hi Viki,
I missed this old post of yours. I look forward to next meet, especially to hear any new gear you purchased meanwhile :licklips:. Will definitely inform you when the next meet is initiated. Presently, the work-front is too tight to plan something in near future.

Regds,
Sonosphere

is there going to be the next "Pune HFV Meet 2011" some time in near future? I missed it last time so eagerly looking forward to the next meet :)

Hi Brajendu,
We must have a meet this year too. Will inform you when something materializes. OTOH, I am game if someone else sets the ball rolling right away, for the next meet. As informed above, presently work-front is too tight for me to plan it.

Regds,
Sonosphere

Hi Viki,
I missed this old post of yours. I look forward to next meet, especially to hear any new gear you purchased meanwhile :licklips:. Will definitely inform you when the next meet is initiated. Presently, the work-front is too tight to plan something in near future.

Regds,
Sonosphere

Hi Shailesh,
Yes it would be nice to have a reunion, and yes, I have changed a lot of my gear. Almost everything, actually. Look forward to seeing you at the next meet. Would you like me to take the initiative to set it up? Only downside would be it would be my place again. Can't wait to hear your Adcom.
Viki

It's high time we have a 2011 get-together. Keep it after 20th Sept please, as I am going abroad starting next week. And I'll upgrade my amplifier as well as speakers next month ;).

Can we plan something for early October? That'll give us adequate time to gather everyone.

Viki's hospitality as usual is overflowing :). Perhaps same place this year as well.

I too am fine with coordinating with everyone.

Hi Shailesh,
Yes it would be nice to have a reunion, and yes, I have changed a lot of my gear. Almost everything, actually. Look forward to seeing you at the next meet. Would you like me to take the initiative to set it up? Only downside would be it would be my place again. Can't wait to hear your Adcom.
Viki

Hi Viki,
I would be extremely happy if you can take the initiative to plan the next meet. And Viki your place is THE UPSIDE!! :yahoo: however not to overlook the convenience of other Pune members, IF somebody does offers another convenient venue, we may let the majority opinion decide the venue.

About Adcom... yes I'll definitely get it along. It has been a significant upgrade from the NAD C320 integrated. Please reply asap with what goodies you've bought.

Thanks for taking the initiative and offering your place.

Regds,

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back