Purchased a Marantz CD 6003 AND Emotiva ERC-1

thekinge

Hi All,

I purchased a Marantz CD 6003 CD player few days back and in a weak (read impulsive) moment, I ordered the Emotiva ERC-1 CD player yesterday night! The Emotiva will reach me in Dubai by 15th June. Hope to do a A/B comparison in my setup. Both are pretty good CD players, but I will be retaining the CD player that synergizes best with my setup (read mid-fi gear) and the other one will be up for sale in hifivision.

I also sincerely hope to invite venkatcr (who is in Dubai now) to my apartment for the comparison:)

The build quality of Emotiva appears to be solid. I'm particularly interested to know how the Emotiva features such as separate power supply for DAC, transport et al and a toroidal transformer (vs. El transformer in Marantz CD 6003) will stack up against the Marantz CD 6003. It would also be interesting to see how the Analog Devices 1955 DAC in Emotiva compares against the Cirrus Logic 4398 DAC in Marantz.

Watch this thread!

-thekinge

Hi All,

I purchased a Marantz CD 6003 CD player few days back and in a weak (read impulsive) moment, I ordered the Emotiva ERC-1 CD player yesterday night! The Emotiva will reach me in Dubai by 15th June. Hope to do a A/B comparison in my setup. Both are pretty good CD players, but I will be retaining the CD player that synergizes best with my setup (read mid-fi gear) and the other one will be up for sale in hifivision.

I also sincerely hope to invite venkatcr (who is in Dubai now) to my apartment for the comparison:)

The build quality of Emotiva appears to be solid. I'm particularly interested to know how the Emotiva features such as separate power supply for DAC, transport et al and a toroidal transformer (vs. El transformer in Marantz CD 6003) will stack up against the Marantz CD 6003. It would also be interesting to see how the Analog Devices 1955 DAC in Emotiva compares against the Cirrus Logic 4398 DAC in Marantz.

Watch this thread!

-thekinge

Pant! Pant! Pant! <waiting> :licklips:

Does the Emotiva have HDMI-in for DVD-A and SACD audio? :)

Cheers

sweeeet. this is a great comparison. The 6003 is by all accounts a great CDP, but the Emotiva sounds like somethign really special. Can't wait for this comparison!

Pant! Pant! Pant! <waiting> :licklips:

Does the Emotiva have HDMI-in for DVD-A and SACD audio? :)

Cheers

Nope gobble, like CD 6003, it's a plain vanilla CD player which supports only Redbook & MP3. I need only such CD players since I do not own DVD-A or SACDs nor do I intend to buy them.

sweeeet. this is a great comparison. The 6003 is by all accounts a great CDP, but the Emotiva sounds like somethign really special. Can't wait for this comparison!

Thanks psychotropic, will hopefully post one soon:)

CD 6003 has usb/ iphone input which is a great convenience imho. Emotiva should look into this and maybe an input for the DAC - it would then be a very good cdp, feature wise.

Nope gobble, like CD 6003, it's a plain vanilla CD player which supports only Redbook & MP3. I need only such CD players since I do not own DVD-A or SACDs nor do I intend to buy them.

Thanks psychotropic, will hopefully post one soon:)

My bad! I thought you got the Emotiva A/V receiver!! Why buy two CDPs?

regards

CD 6003 has usb/ iphone input which is a great convenience imho. Emotiva should look into this and maybe an input for the DAC - it would then be a very good cdp, feature wise.

I'm not an iPhone person and I don't carry any form of portable music player. Most of my music is in audio CDs or MP3 CDs. Could sound bizarre, but then that's me:)

Did you mean an input for DAC i.e., a digital input?

yes I meant a digital input, like CA's higher end cdps. Why buy more dacs if you already have a great one in your cdp.
Recently, I have converted myself from a speakers person into a headphones person. That way I can listen in any room, without disturbing people around. So if you have a portable/ semi portable setup along with a "normal" stereo setup, it is certainly more versatile.

Congrats thekinge. Same question as gobble, why this idea of buying two CDPs, compare and then dispose one:)?

My bad! I thought you got the Emotiva A/V receiver!! Why buy two CDPs?

regards

Congrats thekinge. Same question as gobble, why this idea of buying two CDPs, compare and then dispose one:)?

gobble, santhol2,

Just wanted to see which one fits better in my system:) Since I did not have a choice of auditioning both in my setup before purchase, I ended up purchasing them (the weak moment!)! And it is useful for me and a lot of HFV members to do a A/B comparison of an established CD player like the 6003 with an upcoming CD player like Emotiva ERC-1.

Plus, I had the confidence that I will be able to sell off one to a deserving HFV member:) I do not intend to make any profit out of selling this so I will sell one of the CD players at purchase price - hopefully a good deal to the buyer like the Onkyo 608 I sold off recently.

Last edited:
Congrats. thekinge, how much did emotiva cost including shipping to dubai.

Thanks cooltoad. The Emotiva ERC-1 cost me 500 USD including shipping. The cost of CD player is 400 USD plus 100 USD for shipping to Dubai. Emotiva has not charged me in advance for customs - there is usually a 5% customs charge for importing electronics in Dubai but it is not applied for retail purchases. Let's see if I get lucky and get it without customs;)

Last edited:
The Emo CD player is very highly praised in their forums and is considered a killer vfm solution v/s expensive branded cd players.

gobble, santhol2,

Just wanted to see which one fits better in my system:) Since I did not have a choice of auditioning both in my setup before purchase, I ended up purchasing them (the weak moment!)! And it is useful for me and a lot of HFV members to do a A/B comparison of an established CD player like the 6003 with an upcoming CD player like Emotiva ERC-1.

Plus, I had the confidence that I will be able to sell off one to a deserving HFV member:) I do not intend to make any profit out of selling this so I will sell one of the CD players at purchase price - hopefully a good deal to the buyer like the Onkyo 608 I sold off recently.

thekinge,

:clapping: wow you are in a buying spree.... enjoy both players and I see one of it coming to india soon :p . Let us know the detailed review on both items after you do A/B comparison.

Kittu

Hi All,

Watch this thread!

-thekinge
thekinge, Congrats! So did I, will have it in hands this weekend! I just cant wait to get it...

gobble, santhol2,

Smart thinking. Take 25 hours on each CDP before audition.

cheers

thekinge,

:clapping: wow you are in a buying spree.... enjoy both players and I see one of it coming to india soon :p . Let us know the detailed review on both items after you do A/B comparison.

Kittu

Hi Kittu,

Indeed I am. Hopefully I will stop after this;)

thekinge, Congrats! So did I, will have it in hands this weekend! I just cant wait to get it...

Thanks iaudio. Did you also purchase the Emotiva ERC-1? If so, may I ask how much did it cost you in total, including shipping & duty?

Smart thinking. Take 25 hours on each CDP before audition.

cheers

Thanks for the tip gobble. The Marantz has been in regular use now and will have crossed 25 hours by the time Emotiva arrives. May have to put the Emotiva on repeat play as soon as I get it before doing the audition. Am considering a Double Blind Test - the only difficulty is getting good test "subjects" here in Dubai.

Just curious, is the 25 hours to let the CD player burn-in?

lol, again the 'burn in' question arises....
IMHO the burn in should not apply to anything but the speakers.....
Flame off friends :D

The Emo CD player is very highly praised in their forums and is considered a killer vfm solution v/s expensive branded cd players.

Browsed through the ERC-1 owner's thread in AVS forum. It's the worse thread I read through AVS - the whole thread is a flame war between scientifically inclined members, ERC-1 owners, non-owners, trolls, mud slingers and what not!

On the other hand, the owners of Emotiva products follow it like a religion - proof is the Emotiva forums, which I would personally take with a grain of salt.

I hope to be as impartial as I can be in my review!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back