Purifi Eval1 Amplifiers

amitk777

Hi,

Has anyone attempted to build these ?
Purifi amplifiers have had great reviews at ASR.

Following is the workshop , which seems simple :

Parts available here :

Please share your expiriences in importing these components and any listening impressions.

Thanks,
Amit

I bought mine from VTV Amplifiers USA. I bought monoblocks. The amplifiers are well built using best accessories like XLR outputs. Connecting speaker cables to binding post. Cardas binding posts. Ant VTV buffer boards where you can select your own OPAmps according to your liking.
Amps sound fantastic. I agree you can buy many amplifiers of reputed brands cheaper than these amps. But can they match the specs and the sound quality.
Now many reputed brands are using Purifi modules to make their own amplifiers.
NAD integrated amplifier using Purify modules got product of the year award from Stereophile magazine.

When I bought my Purifi based amplifiers from VTV it was about 1.5 year back, At that time DIY casings were not available . So I had to buy from VTV USA using best parts. Monoblocks using separate Purifi module and separate power supply for each channel.
DIY box for integrated Purifi amplifier came much later.

When I bought my Purifi based amplifiers from VTV it was about 1.5 year back, At that time DIY casings were not available . So I had to buy from VTV USA using best parts. Monoblocks using separate Purifi module and separate power supply for each channel.
DIY box for integrated Purifi amplifier came much later.

Can you show us the end product?

NAD does not use Purifi modules. They worked Purifi to design their own boards that match the specs. The boards are made and populated by NAD.

Cheers.

How would you compare Purifi sound with the Class A amplifier sound?

I mean, is it worth buying a Purifi, if you have a Class A amplifier. If the difference is minute, it may not be worth it.

Class D and Class A WILL sound different. It does not make sense to compare as the technologies are different.

What Class D attempts to do is to maximise SNR, enhance the dynamics and soundstage, all the while maintaining high efficiency. And today, Class D offers enormous power on tap enabling you to drive any speaker with ease.

One of the advantages of Class D is that, once the design is proven, it is easy to replicate at a considerably lower cost. And, every copy will sound the same.

Cheers.

If the difference is minute, it may not be worth it.
Before you reject outright, please do listen to a good Class D amplifier with a good source. Believe me, you will change your mind on how music should sound.

I have been using a bread slice sized Class D amp for the last 12 odd months that pumps out 100 watts per channel. Forget about me. Including this amp in it's recommended components, this is what Stereophile has to say about the tiny amp. "CDs played through the Lepai's RCA input sounded big, bold, and emotionally compelling, with a natural midrange, sweet highs, good bass weight, and well-focused images". What more do you want. As I said, good source is critical. You use a bad source, you will get bad sound.

I don't miss Class or Class AB at all. I am now in the process of shortlisting a professional Class D amplifier with all the bells and whistles.

Cheers

Last edited:
For about the same price, you can get a fully assembled and tested unit with a 2 year warranty. Of course, the warranty is valid in the us.

Cheers
@venkatcr , thanks for the input.

VTV looks good and @SKR review gives good confidence.

If I order parts , Amp Board + Power Supply + Box , considering 18% customs (for components) the cost works around 106K INR.
VTV costs with 40% customs ( for electronics as I have heard) will be around 114K , without taking shipping into account, which is not much of a difference.

I would have been happy if somebody in India offered this, but I have seen only ICE power amps.

My initial thought was to buy NAD C298 which is also Purifi based but that is around 200K , so this seems a good bargain.

They look exactly the same like these but with a different name plate of VTV.
These amplifiers in the photo are Hypex Ncore 400 which also I have. And they too sound fantastic. Actually the Engineer from Hypex parted company and made his own amplifier called Purifi with slightly better specs and better sound.

@venkatcr , thanks for the input.

VTV looks good and @SKR review gives good confidence.

If I order parts , Amp Board + Power Supply + Box , considering 18% customs (for components) the cost works around 106K INR.
VTV costs with 40% customs ( for electronics as I have heard) will be around 114K , without taking shipping into account, which is not much of a difference.

I would have been happy if somebody in India offered this, but I have seen only ICE power amps.

My initial thought was to buy NAD C298 which is also Purifi based but that is around 200K , so this seems a good bargain.
I asked VTV to put best parts in my amps like Neotech UP OCC Cables from Purifi board to speaker terminals, I used Cardas binding posts and silver Neutrik XLR plugs. I ordered online in USA and got them delivered to him.
I have used Sparkos SS 3602 OPAmps. But now when I go to bangkok I will be upgrading to Weiss OP2 OPAmps which are considered best and also used in Weiss Audio’s DACs costing over $10K
So you can have choice of upgrade path also.
But in case you want to go on budget than Eval board of Purifi in Stereo mode is also very good compared to mono blocks and expensive upgrades. The difference won’t be much.

NAD does not use Purifi modules. They worked Purifi to design their own boards that match the specs. The boards are made and populated by NAD.

Cheers.
NAD has used Purifi amplifier modules in their amplifiers. May be a bit changed to their requirements. Buts it’s the BUFFER BOARD which everyone uses according to their own designs and requirements.like VTV use their own buffer boards. So every brand used their own buffer boards and also own POWER SUPPLY..
There are 4 things in VTV
1. VTV power amplifier module
2. Power supply
3.Buffer boards
4.And the amplifier casing or the box.
Power modules of Purifi are the main thing. Others you can have as per your design and requirements

Not sure what you are attempting to say here, but here is a quote from NAD's website.

"NAD’s renowned designers worked closely with Purifi Audio to customise the Eigentakt implementation to ensure every product featuring the technology would meet the high standards NAD is known for. For this reason, NAD manufactures its own Eigentakt modules rather than buy off-the-shelf."

It is obvious they dont use Purifi's modules at all.

Cheers

Please read my post once again. Just in first line I have written MAY BE A BIT CHANGED TO THEIR REQUIREMENTS.
Why did NAD designers worked closely with Purifi Audio if they were not to use Purifi amplifiers..
After all what NAD is putting in their amplifiers is Purifi module made to their requirements/specifications. Doesn’t matter who makes it. Purifi must have allowed NAD to manufacture these modules under an agreement.
Why go to Purifi at all if they were using their own amplifiers.

Back