Putting Shure M7EJ stylus on M97xe

mbhangui

last week to my utter dismay, I found that the aluminium cantilever which has the diamond tip crumbled while playing a record. This M97xE cartridge has not even completed a year. On close examination i find that the material has crumbled due to oxidation. The cartridge box says "Made in Mexico". Not sure if this is quality issue or due to the current monsoon season in Pune.

I had my old m75EJ and I find the length of the stylus, shape etc is identical to that of M97xe. The difference is that it does not have the stabilizer brush. So I have replaced the stylus and my turntable is singing again. Can't make the difference.

So the question. What make the difference more? Is it the stylus or the cartridge. Any downside of using a wrong stylus with M97xE. With the current Rupee rate, the price of original M97xE stylus (Rs 8000) is atrocious.

In the meanwhile I picked up a Technics SL-D2 Direct drive turntable which has come with a Shure M97E type II cartridge. Buying this has been much cheaper than buying a replacement stylus. Real crazy this world of audio :sad:

There are quality issues in recent Shure carts as they have shifted production in Mexico 2-3 years back.You can use stylus from M75 if it sits properly.I don't see any downside,please keep the tracking force right.
There are some better carts available in this price range.I never liked M97xe.It always sounded dull compared to similar priced cart.
Technica SL-D2 is very good TT.Did you get it from Shafic?His offer price was very reasonable.

Regards,
Sachin

There are quality issues in recent Shure carts as they have shifted production in Mexico 2-3 years back.You can use stylus from M75 if it sits properly.I don't see any downside,please keep the tracking force right.
There are some better carts available in this price range.I never liked M97xe.It always sounded dull compared to similar priced cart.
Technica SL-D2 is very good TT.Did you get it from Shafic?His offer price was very reasonable.

Regards,
Sachin

Yes the stylus sits quite well other than the fact that it looks ugly (like Raj Kapoor wearing baggy trousers to look like charlie chaplin). After changing the stylus, I have readjusted the tracking force.

Yes, I got it from Shafic. It came with Shure M75E type II cartridge. Initially there was some hum and noise. I cleaned the cartridge contacts and removed one extended RCA cable which was soldered to the original RCA cable (I guess this was to make the cable longer). Connected two phono plugs to the original cable and now It is playing quite well. All my misgiving about Direct Drives introducing motor hum was found to be false. Good thing about DD is that no worries about belt getting worn out.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back