Putumayo- have you heard it??

bazee

Friends

I found some cds under the label Putumayo.
They publish what is called as World Music.
So you have arabic, irish, celtic, african, latino, cuban etc etc music.
The recording is of very high quality and the instruments stand out very clearly.

Whats ur opinion about this genre?

Putumay - World music

254_190.jpg

Last edited:
Some are definitely good. Some suck :)
the Rai/Arabic stuff is good if you are into that sort of thing. The latin/cuban/domingo is just ok (at least to my taste). Try sampling on Amazon before you pick it up

cheers

Friends

Whats ur opinion about this genre?

[/IMG]

as with all genres there will be some that you like and others that may not be so appealing....but one of the best 'world music' albums i have heard in a long time was the collaborative effort between guitarist Rye Cooder and the Malian guitarist/crooner, Ali Farka Toure....its called Talking Timbuktu...i have absolutely no clue about what the words mean..but in almost all the songs there is a certain bluesy feel that takes us right back to the african roots of this type of music..the guitar is played with subtle restraint and the vocals have that earthy quality which is quite difficult not to warm up to..

I have heard them but mp3s from the net. Music is good but cannot understand the lyrics. Mostly they are rhythm based and with soft percussion instruments.

....but one of the best 'world music' albums i have heard in a long time was the collaborative effort between guitarist Rye Cooder and the Malian guitarist/crooner, Ali Farka Toure....its called Talking Timbuktu...

Moktan,

If you liked "Talking Timbuktu" (which I have), I think you would simply love the CD album "The Source" by Ali Farka Toure (which I also have). I have talked about this CD many times in my long amp thread. In fact, I use track no. 5 (and also #3 and #6 at times) for auditioning. Bazee, if you want to be in world music, give these a try. Both in the recording and the musical qualities, they excel.

Regards.

Last edited:
Its a huge obligation if the term "world music" is used and Dan Storper (founder of Putumayo records) has got a small collection of music talents consolidated. His focus so far has been Latin American, North American, African, Mid Eastern and touch of Asian.

I would term the albums themselves as easy listening world music. The earlier Latin and Mid Eastern albums were excellent. The recent ones are more around groove and fusion and do not sound that unique. Overall recording is excellent to good (there are no bad ones).

The other reference to Ry Cooder and Ali Toure is excellent album. I have "Meeting by the river' with Ry and Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. Excellent album and very good recording. Ry has played all genres from blues, jazz, fusion, country etc. He is one amazing guitarist (similar to John Mclaughlin) though John has gone gung ho on the Indian music style and has pretty much dropped playing other genres.

Just saw.. TQMP have published all these albums on net.. you know where.
Sampling is also a good idea.

hi bazee,

yes i have the french and one other one which i forget. pretty good for a taste of another country's music. a good point to start exploring further.

regards

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back