PV8 / 80 Service Menu for Usage Time

madbullram

After long search, found the way to find the usage time of my PV8.

Knowing the total time the TV was used helps in 2 things:
1. When the set is delivered we can check if its a DEMO piece bcos the usage time will be more (hours of usage).
2. Will help us determine accurately if the run-in period is over

BEFORE I STATE, PLS BE AWARE SERVICE MENU OPTIONS ARE SENSITIVE AND FOR PROFESSIONAL TO PLAY WITH. DO THIS EXACTLY AS LISTED AND PLS PLS PLS DONT PLAY WITH OTHER OPTIONS AS IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND ALSO SCREW YOUR TV.

To find the total usage:
IMP: DONT USE THE VOL BUTTON ON THE REMOTE

1. Hold down the {VOL -} button ON THE PLASMA. (Dont worry about what happens on the TV)

2. Press the {INFO} button on the remote control 3 times. This button is located to the left of {0} button the remote.

The Service Menu will be displayed with the following menus:
ADJUST
WD-ADJUST
OPTION
AGING (Red Screen)
RM-SET
SRV-TOOL

We are interested in SRV-TOOL. The {1} & {2} buttons move through menus.

4. Press the {2} button once or press the {1} button six times to select "SRV-TOOL".

5. Then press the {OK} button to access it.

6. Using the cursor keys, highlight the empty box on the right side of the last option (box): PTCT :00.00.00.00.00

7. Then press and hold the {MUTE} button for 3 seconds.

Time and Count will be displayed in red color. Mine showed 000000330:30 441. It means my TV was on for 330 hrs and 30 mins and was switched on 441 times till now.

8. Press the {off} button the plasma for 10 secs and release it.

Switch on and enjoy.

DISCLAIMER: At your ownnnnnn risk mate :D

Last edited:
hey outstandingly helpfull tip...

can u tel same about samy a450 mine is comin 2day..

thanx

1. When the set is delivered we can check if its a DEMO piece bcos the usage time will be more (hours of usage).

BEFORE I STATE, PLS BE AWARE SERVICE MENU OPTIONS ARE SENSITIVE AND FOR PROFESSIONAL TO PLAY WITH. DO THIS EXACTLY AS LISTED AND PLS PLS PLS DONT PLAY WITH OTHER OPTIONS AS IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND ALSO SCREW YOUR TV.

To find the total usage:

1. Hold down the {VOL -} button ON THE PLASMA. (Dont worry about what happens on the TV)

2. Press the {INFO} button on the remote control 3 times. This button is located to the left of {0} button the remote.

ADJUST
WD-ADJUST
OPTION
AGING (Red Screen)
RM-SET
SRV-TOOL

4. Press the {2} button once or press the {1} button six times to select "SRV-TOOL".

6. Using the cursor keys, highlight the empty box on the right side of the last option (box): PTCT :00.00.00.00.00

Time and Count will be displayed in red color. Mine showed 000000330:30 441. It means my TV was on for 330 hrs and 30 mins and was switched on 441 times till now.

Switch on and enjoy.

boss my pv8 has a button called recall (left of the 0 button) and pushing it does not help. Any other suggestions?

boss my pv8 has a button called recall (left of the 0 button) and pushing it does not help. Any other suggestions?

You need to press the Vol button and the Recall button together. Try it, it works on all PV8 may be you aint doing it in the right sequence.

Thanks. Worked like a charm.
I was a bit confused with the last step. Is it the power switch on the tv or the power button on the remote.
Went ahead with the tv switch. Worked fine.

well it finally did - I was not pushing them together.

anyway my plasma showed 286 hours and that it had been switched on for like 88 times. looks reasonable as it has been 10 days old and i have been using it extensively for that time.

panny rocks

anyway my plasma showed 286 hours and that it had been switched on for like 88 times. looks reasonable as it has been 10 days old and i have been using it extensively for that time.
Well, that averages out to 28 hrs per day :)
Considering 16 hours of usage per day (8 for sleeping!), it should be max 160hours.
My set has clocked 197 hours in 30 days, which matches with my avg 5-6hrs per day usage.

To find the total usage:

ADJUST
WD-ADJUST
OPTION
AGING (Red Screen)
RM-SET
SRV-TOOL

Switch on and enjoy.

hey mate.. mine remained constant i.e.: PTCT:00.00.000.000.00
:sad:

Well, that averages out to 28 hrs per day :)
Considering 16 hours of usage per day (8 for sleeping!), it should be max 160hours.
My set has clocked 197 hours in 30 days, which matches with my avg 5-6hrs per day usage.

but the problem is all pannys i tried (vijay sales guys were astonished) in the showroom i.e. demo pieces has usage times over 400-500 hrs. And I guess for 12 days 288 hours are not bad considering my tv stays on for 10-15 hrs at a stretch. And i guess most plasmas and even LCDs are tested for 40-50 hrs atleast for manufacturing defects at the manufacturer site. My friend works for a Indian company that got into the LCD market recently and he told me that all LCDs (strange for Indian manufacturers) are tested for 80-100 hrs before packing and release to the showrooms.

And there is actually no proper way to burn a plasma or a LCD (other than not playing it on vivid for a long duration). I have been watching the TV on Cinema mode only and it maybe my perception but the picture has turned sharper over the last week or so. It is supported by my wife too - and games and sports look so much better.

Not to mention the LOTR trilogy blew me away - the panny and the combination of Onkyo 606 i.e.

I would have loved the usage under 100 hrs when i bought the plasma but i am not complaining.:clapping:

I would have loved the usage under 100 hrs when i bought the plasma but i am not complaining.
When i've checked my pv80 after 2 days from the date of purchase, it was showed 16 hrs :)

And i guess most plasmas and even LCDs are tested for 40-50 hrs atleast for manufacturing defects at the manufacturer site. My friend works for a Indian company that got into the LCD market recently and he told me that all LCDs (strange for Indian manufacturers) are tested for 80-100 hrs before packing and release to the showrooms.
Is that much bad their QA policy?

but the problem is all pannys i tried (vijay sales guys were astonished) in the showroom
You mean they are not aware of this service menu? :lol:

Have they now learnt it from you?

@madbullram - would the same sequence work on a PV7/70? Any idea?

You mean they are not aware of this service menu? :lol:

Have they now learnt it from you?

@madbullram - would the same sequence work on a PV7/70? Any idea?

bhai this is not the first time i have come across morons in a showroom - they were pressing for the LG61 (don't remember the exact model number) - 42'' plasma for 44k too. Luckily i was wiser.

finally it worked!!!!!!!:)

i was pressing mute on ptct:00.00.00.00instead of that i was supposed to highlight right side blank bracket opposit of ptct.. and i did it and timing was
after 10 days,
18:43 51 clicks :yahoo:

thanx a lot mate,,,

Last edited:
This is a very useful post. I used this to find out the usage time on my new 32LX800 that I bought yest and found that the guys sold me a demo piece. :mad: I went to them today morning and they assured me on delivering a new set.

This is a very useful post. I used this to find out the usage time on my new 32LX800 that I bought yest and found that the guys sold me a demo piece. :mad: I went to them today morning and they assured me on delivering a new set.

Excellent, this is the main reason I posted this info so that these dealers cant cheat us.:clapping:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back