PV8D (or any 720p) tv with bluray, feedback needed

doors666

Hi Guys,

I have a panny pv8d 42" plasma and am looking to buy a blue ray player. Anyone else has this combo or any other 42" plasma with 720p and is running a blu ray player, how is the picture quality, its better than 480 upscaled and lesser than 1080p is what I have heard. Any one can give more information. Need to decide if its worth sinking money in it or not.

Thru my htpc, 720p mkvs definitely look better than dvd, but dont know how will a downscaled 1080p signal look at this tv.

thanx

Hi Guys,

I have a panny pv8d 42" plasma and am looking to buy a blue ray player. Anyone else has this combo or any other 42" plasma with 720p and is running a blu ray player, how is the picture quality, its better than 480 upscaled and lesser than 1080p is what I have heard. Any one can give more information. Need to decide if its worth sinking money in it or not.

Thru my htpc, 720p mkvs definitely look better than dvd, but dont know how will a downscaled 1080p signal look at this tv.

thanx

HI,

720p TV + BLURAY Player is not a good combination at all. As I've explained earlier there is a color gamut difference between the 720p medium and 1080p medium...........you will not get the true colors.

cheers

the question i think is whether a 720p TV will produce significantly superior images wiht a BDP as opposed to an upscaling DVD player. I suspect the answer is yes, because I've seen 720p TVs showing HD content and looking fabulous.

HI,

720p TV + BLURAY Player is not a good combination at all. As I've explained earlier there is a color gamut difference between the 720p medium and 1080p medium...........you will not get the true colors.

cheers

hi aneelr, no offense to you and thanx for the input. I am yet to read up on the gamut stuff and I will before making a purchase, I am also trying to get a feel of the real world situation from people who already own the combo. I will also go and check it out at some showroom (if et al those guys have a single blu ray to show, most of them are hooking up full hd with tata sky for display:lol:). Currently I have a cheapo dvd player with no hdmi output. If I go for a upscaling dvd player here in india, vs getting a blu ray player thru a friend in US, there is no cost difference:lol: so I might as well go for a blu ray player.

I have apv8 myself, and i was in the same shoes as you are some time back. The problem here is that we dont have our TV in HD. Even 720p TV is good enough to go ahead and buy a 1080p set. I am hearing for the past 3 years about HD in India, and apart from DD's CW plan and recently by Sun, HD still looks like a difficult thing to achieve for Indians. Majority of us dont even know what HD is, and hence there is no real interest in it.

What i figured out while buying my TV was that, despite bluray players/media streamers and having good enough 720p/1080p movie content around us, majority of the viewing WILL be live TV. At that time 1080p sets were not as good for SD stuff as 720p sets, so I went for the 720p set. I watch 70p/1080p movies on it from my PC once in a week, and they do look gorgeous. They look better on my friends 1080p LCD, but comparing the quality of cricket feed he sees and what I watch, i would say its better to have a 720p set.

I have not seen the new models from samsung and sony, but I would like to say this 702p for the next 3-4 years is a safe choice to make.

I have recently moved from pv8 to 42g10.
The Sd content from DTH is much more enjoyable on g10 as compared to pv8 with bright smooth pictures and vivid colour.The better contrast in g10 is clear and tv watching has gone up.

Hi Guys,

thanx
++ Need to know the same, planning to buy HB954TB from LG

and aneel, i did read your explanation, but being a non technical guy, i just didn't getit, could you explain it like you would explain it to a 5 year old? I really do want to understand the issue, because i've not seen it referred to much elsewhere.

HI,

cheers

Hi Guys,

thanx

Hi,

I recently got the BD Player Panny BD80 for my Panny X10. Believe me you will see an exceptional PQ compared to Upscaled DVDP. I watched some BD movies imported from US. They are amazing in PQ and SQ compared to my existing Samsung high end DVDP which also doing a great job.
What Aneelr are explained could be right technically and BD will go great with 1080P set. But definitely you will not be disappointed with your 720p and BDP combo.

and aneel, i did read your explanation, but being a non technical guy, i just didn't getit, could you explain it like you would explain it to a 5 year old? I really do want to understand the issue, because i've not seen it referred to much elsewhere.

Hi,

Basically the range of colors a 1080p medium(which has got a WIDE color gamut)produces, cannot be re-produced to the fullest by a 720p medium (because it has got a STANDARD color gamut.). i.e there is a difference in the color-bit depth production capabilities between the 2 mediums.

You can get a more clear explanation here
LCD Monitors and Color Gamuts

And I can surely make out the difference in the displayed color.........not sure about the others.

cheers.

My take is, the viewing distance should be the first criteria in selection. At 42 inch, if your viewing distance is above 6.5 feet (5.5 feet is real test std) you will not find much noticable difference between 42 HD ready and 42 Full HD tv.

So if you viewing distance is below 6.5 feet, 1080p rip r Blu Ray on a Full HD tv will look better. If its more than 6.5 feet 720p, 1080p downscaled to 720p on a PV8 will look the same.

At the same time, dont compare PV8 to G10, g10 will offcourse be better bcos of the new spec.

Wide Color Gamut off course produces more details and colors but its subjective to each person sensitiveness to color and I dont think it has a difference between night and day.

I remember, when in Best Buy we watched a Pana 42 Full HD and 42 HD ready (both calibrated TVs by their calibration team) last year playing Spiderman and Narnia at 8 feet distance and we really couldn't notice any difference in clarity or PQ or color production

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back