Q!uestion about speaker grills

Gopi

I heard Anil's Fostex 208 in a BLH and it was outstanding! I have the 167E, in an MLTL design. I was sorely tempted to do one more(BLH), like his then decided to go the Scanspeak way with an MTM design instead.

George,

Anil is my inspiration and my guide on all things DIY audio.....

cheers, Gopi

Another material which can be tried is expanded metal. There was
a discussion on diyaudio sometime back and some felt it does
not affect acoustics. I have used it for my Sachikos and am happy.
It is available in different degrees of "openness", and is about
Rs 25 per sq ft.

Where to get this stuff?

--G

One suggestion for fixing the grill magnets. I am planning to do this in my next build cause this is better done before the baffles are glued together.

Make a depression on the backside of the front baffle to house the magnet about 3mm short of the board thickness. This can be done with a suitable dia drill bit. Using a drill bit stopper is good way to prevent drilling a hole through the baffle. These stoppers are available in SP road.

Once these depressions are made, then drop in the magnets and glue. This way the front surface will not require any touch ups and the magnets won't move after gluing.

The magnetic buttons (the kind used for ladies handbag clasps)
seem quite usable for grill magnets and have nice holes to nail them down.
Perhaps "fancy" or leather goods shops might have them.

DIY sewing clothes handbag bag magnetic button clasps | eBay

gobble said:
Where to get this stuff?

Sacrifice a metal waste/bicycle basket, or filing tray if you just need a smaller piece.
As an added bonus, it will be nicely powder coated.

Rolodex-22351-Expressions-Mesh-Metal-Wastebasket.jpg

Last edited:
Digging up an old thread. Here's an interesting cup for holding magnets.
It will be good if we can find such a holder locally.

Rare-Earth Magnet, Cup & Washer Sets - Lee Valley Tools

One suggestion for fixing the grill magnets. I am planning to do this in my next build cause this is better done before the baffles are glued together.

Make a depression on the backside of the front baffle to house the magnet about 3mm short of the board thickness. This can be done with a suitable dia drill bit. Using a drill bit stopper is good way to prevent drilling a hole through the baffle. These stoppers are available in SP road.

Once these depressions are made, then drop in the magnets and glue. This way the front surface will not require any touch ups and the magnets won't move after gluing.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back