Quad II Tube amp

@Dr.Bass, could you explain please.

Rajiv

explain as in ?
Going by sound and cost, an Odyssey Khartago/Stratos power amp is where I would say mid fi starts.

I would not talk more about sound because, it is subjective.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Yea, I understand your point exactly.
But when you want a Dyn then you want a Dyn. Amplification needs to be arranged:eek:hyeah:.

Interestingly, while Dyns dont do justice to entry level amps, they do justice to high quality amps in spades. It is like having a beautiful girl friend who is a super model, high maintenance is obvious;).

I'll settle for the girl next door:)

@Dr.Bass
7200 is not even mid-fi/could you explain please.

Rajiv

My notion of Low-Fi would be Denon,CA,Nad,Rotel,Marantz,(up till 8001).
Mid-Fi would be Arcam,Cyrus,Primare,Rega,Creek.Naim too,but at HiFi prices:)
Hi-Fi would be Bryston,MF,Krell,Jeff Rowland,Accuphase...
Of course top end models of each brand may overlap with the entry level models higher up the ladder.
But all these defintions of Low/Mid/Hi are relative.I seem to remember Prem describing his Esoteric cdp as Mid-Fi in a post!
The words we use and the meaning we impart to these words is considerably coloured by the amount of money we have in our wallet:)

Last edited:
My notion of Low-Fi would be Denon,CA,Nad,Rotel,Marantz,(up till 8001).
Mid-Fi would be Arcam,Cyrus,Primare,Rega,Creek.Naim too,but at HiFi prices:)
Hi-Fi would be Bryston,MF,Krell,Jeff Rowland,Accuphase...
Of course top end models of each brand may overlap with the entry level models higher up the ladder.
But all these defintions of Low/Mid/Hi are relative.I seem to remember Prem describing his Esoteric cdp as Mid-Fi in a post!
The words we use and the meaning we impart to these words is considerably coloured by the amount of money we have in our wallet:)

After a certain stage all that matters is sound quality. Mostly SQ decides which category an equipment belongs and thats where subjectivity galore.

@Rajiv,
Marantz 7200 KI is one of the best entry level integrated amps to buy IMO (at least in India). I have heard the PM-17 and that is the next step, enter mid-fi I would say.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back