Queries From A Beginner

tariqtaylor

Hi guys. First of all I'd like to thank everyone here for all their contributions in the various threads.

I've been researching my options in Bangalore for an entry level budget TT and I've gathered from the various threads here that the best choices available to me are:

1) TT at Lekhraj Jassumal - Reviews here for this seem to be pretty poor, so I've ruled it out.
2) Denon TT - I've seen this TT available at certain stores for around Rs 10,000/-. Reviews here seem to be decent for this, so I've begun considering this as a serious option.

I do not have a vinyl collection of any sort, but an extremely large CD collection and my musical tastes vary from rock to pop to Western Classical. I plan to slowly build up a vinyl collection. I happen to be rather particular about sound quality and really want to know whether the Denon TT will meet my needs in this area.

Additionally, I happen to listen to my music predominantly with high-end headphones as opposed to speakers and plan to do the same with the TT. Please forgive the stupid question, and I know I could simply ask the guy at the store this, but does the Denon TT have a headphone output? Also, the headphones I use are rather unforgiving to bad recordings and poorly mixed music and are pretty high impedance. Would they be driven adequately by the pre-amp in the Denon?

I apologise profusely if my questions seem foolish. I am entirely new to all this. I'd appreciate any help from you guys.

Cheers.

EDIT:

The model number of the Denon player was DP 200. That costs roughly Rs 10,000/-. The same player with USB (Denon DP 200USB) is selling for around Rs 15,000/-.

Last edited:
Hi guys. First of all I'd like to thank everyone here for all their contributions in the various threads.

I've been researching my options in Bangalore for an entry level budget TT and I've gathered from the various threads here that the best choices available to me are:

1) TT at Lekhraj Jassumal - Reviews here for this seem to be pretty poor, so I've ruled it out.
2) Denon TT - I've seen this TT available at certain stores for around Rs 10,000/-. Reviews here seem to be decent for this, so I've begun considering this as a serious option.

I do not have a vinyl collection of any sort, but an extremely large CD collection and my musical tastes vary from rock to pop to Western Classical. I plan to slowly build up a vinyl collection. I happen to be rather particular about sound quality and really want to know whether the Denon TT will meet my needs in this area.

Additionally, I happen to listen to my music predominantly with high-end headphones as opposed to speakers and plan to do the same with the TT. Please forgive the stupid question, and I know I could simply ask the guy at the store this, but does the Denon TT have a headphone output? Also, the headphones I use are rather unforgiving to bad recordings and poorly mixed music and are pretty high impedance. Would they be driven adequately by the pre-amp in the Denon?

I apologise profusely if my questions seem foolish. I am entirely new to all this. I'd appreciate any help from you guys.

Cheers.

EDIT:

The model number of the Denon player was DP 200. That costs roughly Rs 10,000/-. The same player with USB (Denon DP 200USB) is selling for around Rs 15,000/-.

Hi,

Don't buy any entry level TT including Denon 2ooF.You can buy some old TT's like Technics,Rotel,Sony,Sensui (with weight and antisket adjustment) at around Rs5000/-.Invest in good MM cartridge and phono preamp(Assuming you have a good stereo amplifier).This all will cost approx INR10000.This combination will beat all entry level TTs.Headphone is not a very good idea for vinyl listening as it has some clics and crackles.

Regards,

Sachin

Hi Tariqtaylor,

A very unique name I must say. How come the 'taylor'? Sounds very american. :)

As for your needs, you can certainly build up a good collection if you keep at it. Much cheaper than buying 400 buck CDs. Unless you get into new vinyl.

Most prob if your headphones are the kind that need amplification, the phono output will not drive it or even normal headphones am guessing. You'd need the signal from the TT going to a proper amp with a headphone socket and a phonostage built in or TT>phonostage>amp with headphone socket.

The Denon will take you only so far but the trick is to decide just how much you want to spend. The Denon should be decent but might not thrill you. Listen and see.

Second hand is a good option but this might take time. You'd need to keep looking out for someone selling a higher end TT at a decent price.

I remember you wanted to drop in for a listen long back. Lemme set things up and I'll send you a pm in some time.

regards
steve

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back