Query on connecting a sub to a stereo amp - MArantz PM7000N

argho

Hi All.

I have a Marantz PM7000N amp connected to a pair of Dali Oberon 5s (had recently shared a pic).

Have been thinking about adding a subwoofer to the setup.

The Marantz has a subwoofer preout, and a setting for a low pass filter.

The manual states :

Subwoofer - Low Pass Filter Sets the low pass filter for the subwoofer output. Set this according to your speakers and subwoofer.

The query that I have - If I connect a sub, and set the low pass filter to 80hz, will :

A) The Dalis receive a signal for only 80 hz and above, and the sub receive 80hz and below, OR

B) The Dalis will receive the full range signal, and sub additionally receve 80hz and below ?

In short - does the low pass filter :

- split the output between Stereo speakers and Sub, OR

- provide an additional signal to a sub, below a certain freq range

Reason for the query - I want to add a sub, but not switch it on every time I listen to music. I would like to switch it on say, when I am listening to rock music. But when I am listening primarily to Indian classical vocal music, I dont want a sub.

If the answer to my query is "B", then this works.

If the answer is A, then it does not, and I need to always have the sub switched on, because the Dali's will not receive the entire frequency range of the music.

Hope my question is clear, and not confusingly worded.

Hi All.

I have a Marantz PM7000N amp connected to a pair of Dali Oberon 5s (had recently shared a pic).

Have been thinking about adding a subwoofer to the setup.

The Marantz has a subwoofer preout, and a setting for a low pass filter.

The manual states :

Subwoofer - Low Pass Filter Sets the low pass filter for the subwoofer output. Set this according to your speakers and subwoofer.

The query that I have - If I connect a sub, and set the low pass filter to 80hz, will :

A) The Dalis receive a signal for only 80 hz and above, and the sub receive 80hz and below, OR

B) The Dalis will receive the full range signal, and sub additionally receve 80hz and below ?

In short - does the low pass filter :

- split the output between Stereo speakers and Sub, OR

- provide an additional signal to a sub, below a certain freq range

Reason for the query - I want to add a sub, but not switch it on every time I listen to music. I would like to switch it on say, when I am listening to rock music. But when I am listening primarily to Indian classical vocal music, I dont want a sub.

If the answer to my query is "B", then this works.

If the answer is A, then it does not, and I need to always have the sub switched on, because the Dali's will not receive the entire frequency range of the music.

Hope my question is clear, and not confusingly worded.
The subwoofer gets the frequencies below the set low pass frequency set. If you set it to 80hz, subwoofer gets 80 and below. Speakers continue to get full signal.

MaSh

Sorry for digging this out. As others mentioned above speakers continue receiving full spectrum, which is actually pretty bad as now I have two sets of speakers playing 40-100 Hz when I use sub, getting that deafening, boomy sound. PM7000N has got great reviews, would I knew things like that before I purchased it, I never would.

Sorry for digging this out. As others mentioned above speakers continue receiving full spectrum, which is actually pretty bad as now I have two sets of speakers playing 40-100 Hz when I use sub, getting that deafening, boomy sound. PM7000N has got great reviews, would I knew things like that before I purchased it, I never would.

I have connected a sub to my Marantz PM7000N.
The sub I have used is the Dali C8-D.

I do not get any boomy sound. The sub matches perfectly with my Oberon 5 speakers.

I suggest try reducing the volume on your sub, and try placing it in a different location.

What speakers and sub are you using ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back