query regarding customs duty on HT projectors

jayad08

hi all,
if one needs to legally declare a prj that is imported from U.S. how much duty does one need to pay?
i found a document on indian customs site which says that it is only 10percent which i doubt as every dealers talks close to 30 percent
here is the link to that doc
http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0910/chap-90.pdf

look in section 9007..
am i lokoking in the right document?
can someone confirm?

Hi,

U r right in evaluation. If you are bringing Straight on your hand the tax is 10% and above that there will be surcharge/additional cess, so finaly it will work out around only 15% . If got by DHL it will be like addtional service tax+cess + Handling charges.. Not like vendors are claiming 30%.

Hi,

U r right in evaluation. If you are bringing Straight on your hand the tax is 10% and above that there will be surcharge/additional cess, so finaly it will work out around only 15% . If got by DHL it will be like addtional service tax+cess + Handling charges.. Not like vendors are claiming 30%.
wow.. so the vendors have been taking me for a ride all this time..
i suppose then if one has to get stuff imported legally..rather than paying to the importer one can declare the goods to the customs..the percentages work out be almost similar..
question..is it better to declare before shipment..or after when the package is detained by customs?
another thing.is import duty from singapore the same?

Last edited:
wow.. so the vendors have been taking me for a ride all this time..
i suppose then if one has to get stuff imported legally..rather than paying to the importer one can declare the goods to the customs..the percentages work out be almost similar..
question..is it better to declare before shipment..or after when the package is detained by customs?
another thing.is import duty from singapore the same?

well now i know for sure the %age of duty..
here is a breakup

ASSESSED VALUE - depends on the custom official, but mostly includes US MRP + shipping + insurance.
BASIC DUTY 10%
VALUE FOR ADDL DUTY
CVD 8%
EDU CESS 3%
S & H EDU CESS 3%
ACD 4%
Total 24-25%

Hi,

that's correct but not the whole of it.. remember, if it's an authorised dealer; he'll get it at a price significantly different from US MSRP (lower!) so consequently the duties etc, would also get affected; downwards. I am not sure about margins on electronic goods; but US retailers work on Margins in excess of 40% markdown on most categories.

That's how companies like Polk audio sell their stuff in India at similar prices to the US price, even after duties and still make profits!

net net.. many of the "distributors" in India are fleecing us. their view - it's a low volume game; so high margins, never realising that high volumes will only come with more realistic prices!

cheers

how safe it is to import through intermediaries like ishopinternational? Would there be additional cost than what they estimate to deliver at home?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back