Custom duty discussion on blu-rays imported

I don't mind paying customs duty but not the atrocious 40-46% as charged by the Mumbai GPO. I even wrote to Amazon, UK to use some other courier service but to no avail. Hence, most reluctantly, I have stopped ordering from them. I order from Amazon, USA and get a duty refund as well.

For the first time, two packages (one from Amazon uk and the other a private store) have not arrived to me in Bangalore. Unfortunately no way to follow up and track the shipping as it was sent regular post. Never had a problem before and never had anything held up at customs (nor had to pay any) so I suppose this is just a case of bad luck....

33% Custom charged for order from Amazon.co.uk. This is the first time I have been charged customs (based in Delhi). It really kills the benefit of ordering from Amazon

33% Custom charged for order from Amazon.co.uk. This is the first time I have been charged customs (based in Delhi). It really kills the benefit of ordering from Amazon
33%? You are lucky. I have been charged 42-44% (from Amazon, UK).

Same here like Kix.. almost 44%.

Ordered one more lot from Amazon, worth GBP20. Expecting anytime now. If I get charged again, I will think twice before ordering from AMZ-UK again. Atleast I will factor in that while ordering, to find out the whether AMZ-US is cheaper or AMZ-UK?

Anyway AMZ-US with the free shipping (above $125), now is a great time to shop for BDs. They are rarely levied by customs.

Out of my 9 orders from amazon UK I had to pay duty for 7 orders.. Sometimes duty charged was around 42% or more so I stopped ordering from amazon uk.. Not purchasing any blu-rays now... Waiting for Indian prices to come down..

Same here like Kix.. almost 44%.

Ordered one more lot from Amazon, worth GBP20. Expecting anytime now. If I get charged again, I will think twice before ordering from AMZ-UK again. Atleast I will factor in that while ordering, to find out the whether AMZ-US is cheaper or AMZ-UK?

Anyway AMZ-US with the free shipping (above $125), now is a great time to shop for BDs. They are rarely levied by customs.

Out of my 9 orders from amazon UK I had to pay duty for 7 orders.. Sometimes duty charged was around 42% or more so I stopped ordering from amazon uk.. Not purchasing any blu-rays now... Waiting for Indian prices to come down..

I have stopped ordering from Amazon, UK. However, even with 44% duty, the prices work out cheaper than Amazon, US. Amazon, US charges import fee deposit which I have always managed to get refunded. In the refund, I lost out on exchange rate and 3.5% surcharge levied by Banks at the time of purchase. So effectively some "duty" is paid - it comes to around 5%.

With the Amazon,US offer of free shipping over $125, the offer is very attractive. I haven't used it as yet because I discovered that to make to the $125 mark, I ended up selecting "not so good" titles to make it up. I hope that the offer stays for some time at least.

@krishnenduk, Indian BD prices do not come down as much as those from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk. The good titles stay right near to MRP.

KIX- this time they have not mentioned any date for the $125 offer at AMZ-US. I hope they would keep it almost permanently. Earlier they used to mention an offer period for this. Anyway I have started shortlisting few. Once it touches $125 I will order them under this.

Regarding Indian BDs, they seldom goes down, but nowadays there are few offers for old BDs which takes down prices sometime to almost 50% discount. But the number of titles are very few and need to look around for almost all the sites for any such offers, making it a tedious process. Hope very soon AMZ-IN will be able to help us in this regard.

I ordered BDs and games worth more than $125 and I got free shipping. The custom duties are charged and they never give me back anything more than $2-3. How do you guys get refund on Custom Duties ?

I ordered BDs and games worth more than $125 and I got free shipping. The custom duties are charged and they never give me back anything more than $2-3. How do you guys get refund on Custom Duties ?

You have to keep the aramex tracking number in record. Then call them up (in India) and check whether customs duty was charged and paid. If negative, send an email to Amazon defending the oder number, date of receipt, order total and customs duty deposit charged. Tell them that since no duty was paid, they should kindly refund the said amount. Write after 60 days.

I agree with Kix regarding the refund process from AMZ-US. It worked for me as well, and got refund within 24hrs.

Received The Great Escape SB from UK. ~25% duty. Lucky.

I have never received refund of customs duty from amazon till now.
- What do you guys do, when parcel is delivered ?
- I assume if duty is charged, aramex personal must give you "Bill of Entry", not aramex's computerized copy, but scanned copy of duty paid by aramex to customs.
- I again assume, if duty is not charged, no document will be handed over to you at the time of delivery. And in this case, for me, I have to contact amazon CC, from them, later on I get to know that duty was charged.
Would appreciate your input. :) @kix, @manzb

Most of my parcels come from amazon UK, GER, JP and CA. JP and CA via DHL, GER via D.Post DHL, and UK via India Post. Very few parcels from amz US.

Received The Great Escape SB from UK. ~25% duty. Lucky.

I have never received refund of customs duty from amazon till now.
- What do you guys do, when parcel is delivered ?
- I assume if duty is charged, aramex personal must give you "Bill of Entry", not aramex's computerized copy, but scanned copy of duty paid by aramex to customs.
- I again assume, if duty is not charged, no document will be handed over to you at the time of delivery. And in this case, for me, I have to contact amazon CC, from them, later on I get to know that duty was charged.
Would appreciate your input. :) @kix, @manzb

Most of my parcels come from amazon UK, GER, JP and CA. JP and CA via DHL, GER via D.Post DHL, and UK via India Post. Very few parcels from amz US.
Please check post # 250. Duty refund is possible from Amazon.com only where they collect "Import Duty" upfront. It is not possible with Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de wherein the India FPO (Foreign Post Office) is charging duty.

When I did not receive any refund for more than four months after delivery of the parcel, I sent Amazon a mail that to the best of my knowledge, no import duty was charged on the parcel. Amazon confirmed this in next half an hour and the Customs duty deposit was credited in my account next day.

Jayant

Please check post # 250. Duty refund is possible from Amazon.com only where they collect "Import Duty" upfront. It is not possible with Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de wherein the India FPO (Foreign Post Office) is charging duty.

Thanks kix.

Yes, I am aware the duty deposit is not there when ordered via Normal shipping from amz UK or GER. My question was only for amazon US. Where, whichever shipping method you choose, import duty deposit will be calculated at checkout.

From my experience and what you have mentioned, process is like this (??)
1) When Aramex delivers the parcel, They should provide "Bill of entry" which is Like this : imgbox - fast, simple image host , IF duty is charged.
- If they do not provide (which generally happens with me), I call aramex cc to ask whether duty was charged or not, by asking the same bill of entry.
2) If they do not forward me "Bill of entry", I am assuming that duty is not charged, as I would not trust their computerized receipt in this case. Which is like this : imgbox - fast, simple image host
(Previously mentioned in this post : http://www.hifivision.com/movies/28789-movies-discount-offer-threads-d-26.html#post454974)
3) I go ahead and ask amazon US to refund for duty deposit, by mentioning that no duty is charged.
4) After that amazon investigate and, lets me know that whether duty was charged or not.

- Above is generally autonomous process, but for faster response, I always have to contact them, amazon CC. Because I have never received the deposit back in 1-2 weeks, keep aside 24 hours.

-Even if aramex, at the time of delivery, asks for duty, I think we can show them that duty deposit is already paid, by showing them our order invoice copy. (which has never happened with me, so still to experience this scenario)
- And if duty is charged more than deposit amount, we do not need to pay anything, that would be handled by amazon. (Some clause in their TnC for customs duty deposit iirc)
- If charged less, amazon will automatically process the refund or again steps 1 to 4.

- Issue for me arrives, because every-time aramex just delivers the parcel, and does not give "Bill of Entry". So first, I chase them for that, and later on amazon for refund. Which most of the time takes quite a time.

Thanks kix.

Yes, I am aware the duty deposit is not there when ordered via Normal shipping from amz UK or GER. My question was only for amazon US. Where, whichever shipping method you choose, import duty deposit will be calculated at checkout.

From my experience and what you have mentioned, process is like this (??)
1) When Aramex delivers the parcel, They should provide "Bill of entry" which is Like this : imgbox - fast, simple image host , IF duty is charged.
- If they do not provide (which generally happens with me), I call aramex cc to ask whether duty was charged or not, by asking the same bill of entry.
2) If they do not forward me "Bill of entry", I am assuming that duty is not charged, as I would not trust their computerized receipt in this case. Which is like this : imgbox - fast, simple image host
(Previously mentioned in this post : http://www.hifivision.com/movies/28789-movies-discount-offer-threads-d-26.html#post454974)
3) I go ahead and ask amazon US to refund for duty deposit, by mentioning that no duty is charged.
4) After that amazon investigate and, lets me know that whether duty was charged or not.

- Above is generally autonomous process, but for faster response, I always have to contact them, amazon CC. Because I have never received the deposit back in 1-2 weeks, keep aside 24 hours.

-Even if aramex, at the time of delivery, asks for duty, I think we can show them that duty deposit is already paid, by showing them our order invoice copy. (which has never happened with me, so still to experience this scenario)
- And if duty is charged more than deposit amount, we do not need to pay anything, that would be handled by amazon. (Some clause in their TnC for customs duty deposit iirc)
- If charged less, amazon will automatically process the refund or again steps 1 to 4.

- Issue for me arrives, because every-time aramex just delivers the parcel, and does not give "Bill of Entry". So first, I chase them for that, and later on amazon for refund. Which most of the time takes quite a time.
^^^ Essentially correct on all counts.

Usually I wait for a month or so and then contact Aramex (or DHL or whoever). This is the time given to them to update all their records. I keep all order number and tracking numbers in my record - use an Excel sheet. The tracking number is later not foundfrom Amazon or Aramex. I contact Aramex quoting the tracking number and ask them "how much duty was charged and paid". If the answer is "zero" which is usually the case, I update the Excel sheet.

I wait roughly for 6/7 weeks (from date of delivery) to contact Amazon. Once or twice, I contacted earlier and they told me to wait for 60 days. Amazon verifies from their records and if the duty was not paid, they refund the amount.

I think that the duty claim works like this:

- Amazon collects duty amount upfront from us
- Amazon ships the product and tells the carrier that they (carriers) should pay the duty
- After duty is paid by carriers, they collect the duty amount from Amazon by presenting the payment copy
- Amazon pays whatever duty was paid (actual amount) but does not pass the excess amount to us (customer). This is how they myst be having their own record.
- Amazon is supposed to refund the difference (if less or zero duty was charged) to us within sixty days (but it does not often very often)
- I was twice paid the duty refund automatically but at other 6/7 times, I had to write to them

Of course, all the above is my guesswork.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! :mad: 45% for the latest shipments by India Post..:mad:

For GBP 23 worth of movies, I paid Rs 1047/- as duty...:eek: It seems, henceforth I will not order anything from AMZ-UK, unless the price is cheap enough even after adding the customs duty going to be charged.:annoyed:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! :mad: 45% for the latest shipments by India Post..:mad:

For GBP 23 worth of movies, I paid Rs 1047/- as duty...:eek: It seems, henceforth I will not order anything from AMZ-UK, unless the price is cheap enough even after adding the customs duty going to be charged.:annoyed:
Welcome to the old housewives club - complaining about government and duties and taxes. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back