Custom duty discussion on blu-rays imported

All duties, levies, expenses, and other such details are immediately updated on the system. Aramex are very busy set of people. There is no update after 2/3 months.

Even the same happened with me. I asked to inquire about Import Fees on my 3 months old orders and they promptly refunded the entire Import Fee of 3 orders (around Rs 6000).
It has happened to me only once when they refunded the Import Fee automatically without any request from my end. But my 3 orders' Import Fee wasn't refunded even after 3 months; so I contacted them and it was refunded quickly.

i ordered 15 bd from amazon uk in jan ending
it delivered with royal mail with no customs
but two titles missing from box
dredd 3d and ocean triology box bd
amozon shipped again but that also missed never delivered by royal mail

then amazon refunded me including shipping cost
any idea where to contact in india for royal mail undelivered packages

Contact your Head PO and find out where the post office that deals with inbound foreign mail is located and then enquire with that PO. I doubt you'll have much luck getting anywhere with that but you can give it a shot.

If your packages are repeatedly going missing, have Amazon UK refund you rather than taking a chance with repeated re-delivery requests which then again go missing. Tracked delivery via Amazon UK or Amazon US may be the other, though more expensive, option if the PO route does not work or consider zavvi.com, thehut.com since other FM's have indicated they offer tracked( ?? ) shipping.

This is the first time I have heard that some contents of the box/package are missing. In my case, I had one misplaced delivery and it was re-delivered by Amazon. But I paid a very heavy duty for the redelivered items because Amazon put the price of items many times higher and also marked the box as merchandise (original order was 45 something marked as gift, replacement package was marked 110 something and marked as merchandise). However ... the entire package went missing.

It is not wise to order a very large delivery from Amazon. First of all, it attracts the attention of customs section at GPO. Secondly, it attracts attention of thieves, who while not knowing exactly what the package contains, suspect something worthwhile at the very least. Even if you wish to order a lot, it is wiser to split the order into multiple orders and perhaps even space them by a day or two.

BTW, I have received refund for my last two orders from Amazon.com. One was a quite hefty INR 1925 or something. Second was a refund of $26 something.

This is the first time I have heard that some contents of the box/package are missing.
My first order from Amazon UK got to me almost two months behind schedule with the packaging torn apart, held together with some string courtesy probably my PO and a couple of the BD's in the package missing the shrinkwrap. It was almost as if someone tried to play those BD's and failed probably because they didn't have a regionfree player. Nothing was missing from the shipment though.

Gud & Bad news :( ...

Gud- my first order from Amz-UK arrived though a bit late..

Bad- had to pay 2600/ @ 45% customs... it is terrible.. With that that the cost of the BDs went up dramatically high nullifying almost the entire benefit of ordering from Amz-UK

Thanks a lot for this discussion. I was on the lookout for two specific DVDs /Blue Rays which I was unable to get in India and this thread has opened a whole new world for me.
I have an enquiry. My dvd player and my Blue Ray player (PS3) are both India specific players and as such cannot play European discs. Accordingly I looked for Region free discs. I succeeded in locating a Blue Ray set. Unfortunately in the product details section it was mentioned as Region 2. When I checked with Amazon, they replied that it can play only in Europe.
However, when I located the same title in BBCshop.com, even though region 2 is mentioned they claim that all of their blue ray discs can play in India. Can someone confirm their experience.
In terms of costs, in this case, Amazon price is 20% cheaper than BBC. I am not aware if BBC also deducts VAT the way Amazon does. BBC's shipping charges are also higher at 7 pounds for first item and 2 pounds for every subsequent item. Perhaps they send it direct rather than use Indian Postal Services. Since I have yet to place the order, I am not sure if they charge Customs Duties also.
Once again Thank you very much for this thread.:clapping:

Gud & Bad news :( ...

Gud- my first order from Amz-UK arrived though a bit late..

Bad- had to pay 2600/ @ 45% customs... it is terrible.. With that that the cost of the BDs went up dramatically high nullifying almost the entire benefit of ordering from Amz-UK
Looks like your order was to the tune of 65 and thereabouts. Never place such a high value order on Amazon, UK. Split the order into multiple orders and keep the order value to less than 35 each, inclusive of all. Also, mark it as a gift. Then, there is an outside chance that you may escape duty.

It was 71, with shipping.. 6100 in INR... out of which Shipping has been reversed back as it was delayed even their second forecast. So effectively I've paid some INR8k for BDs worth 5K plus...

Anyway next time I will order for less than 40 for sure, to see whether I am lucky... anyway, I already have enough fodder to last few weeks atleast, so I have no intention to place any order as of now. Or at best might wait for my contacts in UK/ US to return next time, so that I can use their services.

Just received Scarface steelbook from amazon UK. No duty. Received in flat 4 days. Shipped on 21st March, received on 25th.

This is second time in last 2 months, I am receiving parcel in flat 3-4 days. That too, normal delivery.

Received refund of import duty deposit of each and every order from Amazon.com. Delighted for sure.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Second time within a month I have been charged 100% duty :mad: Ordered from secondspin USA ..... and I have one more package due from there! to add insult to injury I have one disc ( Claptons Crossroads 2007) duplicated....:annoyed:

Last order from Amazon, UK was subject to 42% duty. Amazon.com charges upfront duty but refunds it later when no duty is paid.

My last order from Silence of the lambs got charged duty. But only some 20-21%. Recent parcel from Germany skipped the customs. Lets see what happens with Life of Pi from UK.

The Hyderabad PO people have taken a lesson from their Mumbai counterpart. So now you are also on the same boat. It is better to use the tracked option if possible, then the chances are almost nil for customs, unless you are too unlucky. Hardly any of the professional couriers pays for the customs.

Hyderabad falls under Mumbai GPO.

JURISDICTION
Mumbai Foreign Post Office has the jurisdiction over the post offices in the Maharashtra circle, Andhra Pradesh up to Hyderabad, Karnatka-Hubli and Dharwad , Goa, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh. Accordingly, consignments pertaining to the above said jurisdiction only; are Customs Cleared by Postal Appraising Section Mumbai.

Source: Mumbai Customs

Ya that's correct. It will depend upon inbound route imo. If parcel is coming from outside to Mumbai, Mumbai GPO will directly charge customs if applicable. Generally all items coming from UK/US/GER/CA, for me, from what I have received and noticed are inspected and processed at Mumbai customs.

And mostly, for me, from what I have received and noticed, items, coming from JP/SG - (Most of South east asia) are processed at Delhi GPO and customs cleared at Delhi.
Same for personal couriers as well. I can only tell about DHL, as I have received international Items via DHL only. Will receive some Steels from KOR and CN for the first time. Lets see what happens with them.

If duty is charged somewhat around 20%-21% ,I would not worry too much. And that happens with every 4th or 5th parcel with me in general.

On another note, received Django Unchained SB. In flat 3 business days from amazon UK. Shipped last Saturday, received today morning. No duty.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back