Custom duty discussion on blu-rays imported

This has been already mentioned before - either in this thread or some other. Nevertheless I thought that I should post just for posterity. Amazon, UK sends items via post. Here is what the customs say ...

ASSESSMENT & CLEARANCE

The present practice of assessment and clearance of goods at Postal Appraising Section Mumbai is carried out in the following manner:

1. Goods which are meant for personal use are classified under CTH 98.04 and released on payment of duty as applicable.
  2. Bonafide commercial samples and prototypes imported by post are exempted from Customs Duty, subject to a value limit of Rs. 10,000/- provided the samples are supplied free of cost. Importers having IEC code number can import commercial samples through post without payment of duty up to a value of Rs.1,00,000/- or 15 units in number within a period of 12 months.

Samples are cleared as per exemption notification No 154/94- Cus. dated 13/07/94 .
  3. The goods for personal use sent as personal gift to the recipient, valued less than Rs 10,000/- (FOB) are cleared without payment of duty as per the Notification. 171/93-Cus dated 16.03.93.

All other goods, which are not classified under the category (1), (2) and (3) are assessed strictly as per Custom Tariff Act, 1975 existing Foreign Trade Policy and relevant Notification/ Circulars issued by the Board from time to time and it is ensured that the imports is in conformity with all other Allied Acts and Rules.
Source: Mumbai Customs

Now ideally, packages marked as gift should be cleared duty free as per clause (3) above. But they are not because Amazon, UK puts the complete declaration on the package.

The duty calculator can be found here: Customs Duty in India on , Other | Duty Calculator of 98049000,. The duty by this method works to a 41.49%.

But HS Code 98040000 is meant for general purpose items not classified under any other HS code. Pre-recorded/stamped DVDs and BDs should fall under HS Code 8523. Source: Customs Duty in India on , Digital video disc | Duty Calculator of 85234080,. As per the correct calculation, the duty by this method works to 26.85% which is what Amazon.com is charging.

This has been already mentioned before - either in this thread or some other. Nevertheless I thought that I should post just for posterity. Amazon, UK sends items via post. Here is what the customs say ...

Source: Mumbai Customs

Now ideally, packages marked as gift should be cleared duty free as per clause (3) above. But they are not because Amazon, UK puts the complete declaration on the package.

The duty calculator can be found here: Customs Duty in India on , Other | Duty Calculator of 98049000,. The duty by this method works to a 41.49%.

But HS Code 98040000 is meant for general purpose items not classified under any other HS code. Pre-recorded/stamped DVDs and BDs should fall under HS Code 8523. Source: Customs Duty in India on , Digital video disc | Duty Calculator of 85234080,. As per the correct calculation, the duty by this method works to 26.85% which is what Amazon.com is charging.

An RTI application might help push the post office toward the right duty calculation. On the other hand it could have the unintended effect of prompting them to begin charging 26.85% for the rest of the country which may perhaps spoil the rest of the country's party more than a bit :sad: It could also have the effect of them using clause 3 when the item is marked as a gift, which would be great :) That last one I doubt, knowing our governments and their tendency to find a way to drain some more money out of our pockets.

An RTI application might help push the post office toward the right duty calculation. On the other hand it could have the unintended effect of prompting them to begin charging 26.85% for the rest of the country which may perhaps spoil the rest of the country's party more than a bit It could also have the effect of them using clause 3 when the item is marked as a gift, which would be great That last one I doubt, knowing our governments and their tendency to find a way to drain some more money out of our pockets.

We may also run the risk of them asking us to get a Censor Certificate.....yes, even for Music Videos

Just got some CDs and DVD/BluRays in the post without duty. FYI. One was labelled with the right price and the other said sample with value. The latter package was stamped by customs accepting the declaration. No issues via Bangalore as yet.

Got Top gun and zombieland steels from play.com via SnS. 21% duty on both.

Receiving TDKR amazon JP exclusive steel tomorrow from DHL, lets see how much duty they charge. It's DHL so I am 100% sure duty will be there.

BTW amazon JP uses DHL for international delivery. If I receive it tomorrow, which tracking indicates, it will be the fastest delivered parcel for me for any international order. just 3 working days.
But shipping charges are too steep. some 2300 yen.

Last edited:
Hello Friends....
As said by just4kix and other fellow members; I have been refunded entire Import Fee deposit from Amazon.com because it wasn't charged by customs.
The order was placed on 11th Nov. and it's around 2 months when I am receiving the refund.
Please note, I didn't raise any request to Amazon helpline for such refund. So it proves true that Amazon refunds import fee automatically within 60 days if not charged by the customs.
Here is the email I received from Amazon.com

===============================================================

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $10.99 for your Order 1**-28***********05.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: There Will Be Blood [Blu-ray]
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B0*****XH8
Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Import Fee Deposit Refund: $3.11

Item: Coen Brothers Collection (Blood Simple/Fargo/Miller's Crossing/Raising Arizona) [Blu-ray]
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B0*****8FY
Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Import Fee Deposit Refund: $7.88
==================================================================

Great news.. kinda hassle free...

So in that case I can also expect to get back the $35 customs deposit after 2 months against my last order, considering that the courier agencies has not handed over any Customs fee apid receipt to me along with the consignment.

Don't bet on it. Duty may have been paid and receipt not handed over to you. Contact courier service and request for receipt. Mention Amazon order number and AWB number.

Great news.. kinda hassle free...

So in that case I can also expect to get back the $35 customs deposit after 2 months against my last order, considering that the courier agencies has not handed over any Customs fee paid receipt to me along with the consignment.

Don't bet on it. Duty may have been paid and receipt not handed over to you. Contact courier service and request for receipt. Mention Amazon order number and AWB number.

Yeah...You should receive the refund if no custom receipt was shown to you.
In my case, all my orders are delivered to security at my office address; and in case there is a custom receipt, Aramex guys should have called me to collect it or given it with the order.
But I have received all the orders without any custom receipt.
I was hoping this refund for long. Now I can expect the similar refunds for 3 more orders I placed in November/December.

EDIT: Missed just4kix's post...so there could be chance, custom receipt was not handed over to me. That means I should verify with Aramex, right?

Last edited:
Received 2 steels from thehut UK. No customs. And 2 from amazon DE, no customs as well. amazon DE parcel was scarily big this time, as my last steel from them arrived damaged and I had complained.
Both took ~1 month.

Received Ben hur from amz UK. In flat 3 days. lol. No customs.
Fastest delivered from amz UK till date.

Skyfall was also shipped with ben hur. Yet to receive it.

Received Ben hur from amz UK. In flat 3 days. lol. No customs.
Fastest delivered from amz UK till date.

Skyfall was also shipped with ben hur. Yet to receive it.

Oh man.. are you sure? They shipped it by a private courier or wat?

Normally our postal department needs 3 days to read the address :eek:hyeah:, then only they plan when to deliver etc.

Two of my UK deliveries are not delivered yet. They should have been delivered two weeks ago as per schedule. So I am afraid that they may be stuck with customs duty assessment.

For this same reason I was also amazed. I mean 3 days, That's what it takes for DHL priority most of the time. Since when royal mail and Indian post peeps become so fast!!

Anyways, Skyfall steel is for sure stuck with customs.

One thing which confused me in this order is different shipment of each steelbook. I mean I had ordered both the steels in single order, then they should be shipped combined , right ? But here 2 separate shipments.

For this same reason I was also amazed. I mean 3 days, That's what it takes for DHL priority most of the time. Since when royal mail and Indian post peeps become so fast!!

Anyways, Skyfall steel is for sure stuck with customs.

One thing which confused me in this order is different shipment of each steelbook. I mean I had ordered both the steels in single order, then they should be shipped combined , right ? But here 2 separate shipments.
Sometimes shipment is split into multiple deliveries. Happens especially if the distribution is from different warehouses. In this case, separate per delivery package charges are not levied to the customer.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back