Custom duty discussion on blu-rays imported

Would appreciate some information from those getting Amazon US BD purchases via Bangalore as to whether duty is levied at entry?

Also, what carrier does Amazon US currently uses for BD shipments?

The answer is few posts above.
Just to summarize again...
Amazon US generally uses Aramex courier service for sending BD shipments to India.
However in few cases, they are using UPS International and i-parcel as well. I have read on on this forum and blu-ray.com forum that i-parcel is the worst courier and they can take upto 2 months to deliver the items. However mostly Aramex is used, which ships within 7 days and this always has a tracking id, so no hassle.
(I have been lucky enough that always it was Aramex and all the shipment delivered to me within 5 days excluding holidays)

Amazon US is calculating custom charges during the checkout of the order.

Amazon US is calculating custom charges during the checkout of the order.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know that Amazon US collects import fee deposit(IDF) for BD's, but was wondering whether customs duty is indeed being paid up by Aramex etc. or whether it gets through customs at Bangalore without duty being paid and therefore resulting in an eventual refund on the IDF. Need a few BD's not available/expensive on Amazon UK, but the IDF of Amazon US, if actually paid will push costs up. :sad:

i-parcel is the worst courier

So true. i-parcel, an excuse for a moronic courier service from hell.

Aramex, BLR are mostly a bunch of baboons too which leaves UPS but I guess IDF will be a definite yes with them.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know that Amazon US collects import fee deposit(IDF) for BD's, but was wondering whether customs duty is indeed being paid up by Aramex etc. or whether it gets through customs at Bangalore without duty being paid and therefore resulting in an eventual refund on the IDF. Need a few BD's not available/expensive on Amazon UK, but the IDF of Amazon US, if actually paid will push costs up. :sad:

So true. i-parcel, an excuse for a moronic courier service from hell.

Aramex, BLR are mostly a bunch of baboons too which leaves UPS but I guess IDF will be a definite yes with them.
I have ordered the last 4-5 times from Amazon.com (US). Almost all shipments were dispatched via Aramex. Once the shipment was split automatically into 3 (no extra charges to me) and it was delivered via Aramex, DHL Intnl, and UPS.
  • Almost without fail, the Aramex delivery was in 7 days. Aramex is the default choice of courier.
  • DHL and UPS delivered in 2 days.
  • Once the Aramex local guy demanded Rs. 100 from my folks. My folks paid up. I complained to their people. I went to the local office - luckily it is walking distance from my home. They refunded me the money.
  • No one - Aramex, DHL, UPS - gave me customs payment receipt. So I have no idea whether customs duty was actually paid or not.
  • I sent an enquiry to Amazon.com. They replied that if customs duty is not paid, the amount will be credited back to my credit card in 60 days.

Check this thread that I started: Amazon.com vs. Amazon.co.uk. In particular, read [post=437104]post # 23[/post].

Last edited:
No one - Aramex, DHL, UPS - gave me customs payment receipt. So I have no idea whether customs duty was actually paid or not.

I've found that calling DHL's customer care and asking them to e-mail me proof of duty paid (i.e.) the Customs Bill of Entry works to get the duty paid info. This will probably work for UPS and Fedex also.

Check this thread that I started: Amazon.com vs. Amazon.co.uk. In particular, read [post=437104]post # 23[/post].
Thanks. Useful info. Between the expensive shipping and the baboons that are Aramex, BLR and i-parcel I'm now having second thoughts about getting BD's via Amazon US.

I've found that calling DHL's customer care and asking them to e-mail me proof of duty paid (i.e.) the Customs Bill of Entry works to get the duty paid info. This will probably work for UPS and Fedex also.

Thanks. Useful info. Between the expensive shipping and the baboons that are Aramex, BLR and i-parcel I'm now having second thoughts about getting BD's via Amazon US.
Other than the Rs. 100 incident I mentioned, I have had no issues with Aramex. What is the problem in Bangalore? And if you order about 8 BDs, the order value will likely to be above $125 and then shipping will be free, customs duty will also go down.

Other than the Rs. 100 incident I mentioned, I have had no issues with Aramex. What is the problem in Bangalore?
They appear to be sub-contracting their delivery to some two bit local operator at times. Everything goes to hell when this happens. I've experienced this several times as has at least one other FM who has a post on these forums, can't remember which thread though.

And if you order about 8 BDs, the order value will likely to be above $125 and then shipping will be free, customs duty will also go down.
That's a thought. Didn't look at it that way. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to report that Amazon.com refunds customs duty in case it is not charged. Today, I received the following mail:

amazon.com said:
Hello,

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $6.09 for your Order xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Martin Scorsese Triple Feature (Goodfellas / The Aviator / The Departed) [Blu-ray]
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B007TBJD1U
Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Import Fee Deposit Refund: $6.09

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

Visa Credit Card [expiring on 2/2013]: $6.09

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to report that Amazon.com refunds customs duty in case it is not charged. Today, I received the following mail:

That's a great news indeed!
I forgot to raise custom refund request for 2 of my orders from Amazon.com. I had asked Aramex guys, they said custom was paid. Not sure if Aramex could be true or not.
Let's see what Amazon says now.

That's a great news indeed!
I forgot to raise custom refund request for 2 of my orders from Amazon.com. I had asked Aramex guys, they said custom was paid. Not sure if Aramex could be true or not.
Let's see what Amazon says now.
No need to raise any request. I did not raise any such request. Amazon refunds excess amount paid automatically within 60 days. :)

No need to raise any request. I did not raise any such request. Amazon refunds excess amount paid automatically within 60 days. :)

Alright. Still around 30 left after 60 days are over post purchase.
Hope I receive some surprise money :)

Though we might miss a few good title, but after including almost free delivery and atleast in my case zero custom duty, Amazon.co.uk is the best choice. Shipping and custom charges kills any price benefit, which seems to be their on Amazon.com on first glance.

Is it an automatic process or should we request for refund? I think it is automatic.. rt? Anyway I have ordered some 13 BD titles from Amazon US (total value $127+ customs $43), hope they refunds me automatically in case it is not charged by Indian customs.

Thebanik
.. normally the price are marginally higher in UK , considering that it includes the 20% VAT component.. whereas in US the price mentioned are bare.. everything else is loaded on top of it... in many cases Amazon US is cheaper even with the customs and shipping compared to UK.. also the number of titles are also more.. anyway, there is nothing to loose from any as long as the landed cost comes cheaper.. Anyway as thumb rule you can add about 30% to US price and compare with UK price (Vat refund offsets by the Shipping costs).. whichever is cheaper .. go for it..

BTW, Amazon US currently has free global delivery for orders above $125, which helps you save a substantial amount, so as of now with the free shipping Amazon US is cheaper .. ;)

Last edited:
Though we might miss a few good title, but after including almost free delivery and atleast in my case zero custom duty, Amazon.co.uk is the best choice. Shipping and custom charges kills any price benefit, which seems to be their on Amazon.com on first glance.

Is it an automatic process or should we request for refund? I think it is automatic.. rt? Anyway I have ordered some 13 BD titles from Amazon US (total value $127+ customs $43), hope they refunds me automatically in case it is not charged by Indian customs.

Thebanik
.. normally the price are marginally higher in UK , considering that it includes the 20% VAT component.. whereas in US the price mentioned are bare.. everything else is loaded on top of it... in many cases Amazon US is cheaper even with the customs and shipping compared to UK.. also the number of titles are also more.. anyway, there is nothing to loose from any as long as the landed cost comes cheaper.. Anyway as thumb rule you can add about 30% to US price and compare with UK price (Vat refund offsets by the Shipping costs).. whichever is cheaper .. go for it..

BTW, Amazon US currently has free global delivery for orders above $125, which helps you save a substantial amount, so as of now with the free shipping Amazon US is cheaper .. ;)

It totally depends on which one is cheaper. For MH state deliveries, all shipments from Amazon.co.uk land up at the Mumbai GPO (not Customs at Mumbai a/p). Mumbai GPO is charging duty at nearly 43-44% on the total value (base cost - VAT + shipping). This is making Amazon, UK expensive for MH state importers.

Now as I have stated in the previous post, I received "Import Duty Refund" on the Martin Scorsese pack. After the duty refund, the 3 movies pack cost me $22.63 and this works out to RS. 415 approx per film. As manzb says, if you order over $125, the shipping is free. Shipping from Amazon.com is via internation couriers and you can track the shipment. The delivery has been within 7 days max.

US source BD packs many times have extra disc, DVD, Digital/UV copy, etc. which may be missing in UK pack which contains movie only - this is especially true for older movies. Refer: Amazon.com vs. Amazon.co.uk

Just cannot understand the logic of the "Customs Duty" just received 6 different packages - from Amazon.uk - luckily only two attracted duty -it would appear that packages /items that cost less than 5 are not charged -and duty can be from around 10% to almost 45% for the others ...:mad:

Just cannot understand the logic of the "Customs Duty" just received 6 different packages - from Amazon.uk - luckily only two attracted duty -it would appear that packages /items that cost less than 5 are not charged -and duty can be from around 10% to almost 45% for the others ...:mad:

That is why I have stopped ordering from Amazon, UK. I do not mind paying customs duty at all. But i would like to:

- know upfront what my total outgoing would be; if the deal works out cheaper elsewhere, including India, then I would like to take that route/option.
- I would like to pay duty that is appropriate and what is laid down by the laws; by law it is 26-27% but postal department is charging anywhere from duty free to 47%! That is unfair.
- I would like to have a definite closure on the delivery period and would also like to track three shipment; no such joy from Amazon, UK.

Apparently none of the above are issues with Amazon, UK. I wrote to them about the problems faced and suggested to them the same delivery method as with Amazon, US. But they politely rejected the options.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Today, I sent one more mail to Amazon.co.uk as follows:

If you take a look at my account, you would have noticed that I have stopped placing orders on Amazon.co.uk. This is very sad and I really feel that this is a loose-loose situation for both. I sent feedback on my issues earlier and they are as follows:

"Orders from Amazon, UK to India are shipped by Royal Mail and then handed over to Indian Postal Department for local delivery"

The problem with the above are as follows:

- I am unable to track delivery; delivery has been before promised date, on or around the promised date ( 3 days), as late as 3 weeks and in some cases, never at all.
- Arbitrary import duty charges levied when the package lands in the port of entry in India

Now I know that Amazon does not have any control on the above, especially the second point on customs duties. But your counterpart Amazon.com is doing much better and customer-friendly:

- the import duties are calculated up-front and charged to customer; this tell me exact amount that I have to bear for importing items taking "surprises" out of the order
- shipping by couriers that provide full delivery tracking right till the doorstep

Please DO NOT send me another (automated) reply stating "We will pass your concerns to the proper department" and other such standard replies. The time has come to DO SOMETHING about improving customer satisfaction. There are many like me who face similar dilemma.

I urge all members to do the same. People from other states should do the same. Last year, I used to get most packages duty free - not so today. I am sure none of you want to be unpleasantly surprised and rudely awakened from vagaries of postal department. More and more feedback will "persuade" Amazon.co.uk to consider feedback and change tactics.

JFKix -
Amazon UK or for that matter the US.com ( of late, it would appear that they have outsourced their response department to India, judging from the names in the signature) the standard answers continue! They just cannot break out of the rut.

I have made several such similar requests as you have - also to change their "search view" which forces us to keep clicking for every 10 or so listings.... close to 6 years now I guess- but still no change:mad:

Last edited:
JFKix -
Amazon UK or for that matter the US.com ( of late, it would appear that they have outsourced their response department to India, judging from the names in the signature) the standard answers continue! They just cannot break out of the rut.

I have made several such similar requests as you have - also to change their "search view" which forces us to keep clicking for every 10 or so listings.... close to 6 years now I guess- but still no change:mad:
There is no harm in making a concentrated effort again.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back