Custom duty discussion on blu-rays imported

I had 4 orders from Amazon, UK in the last 30 days.

1. The first order of American Beauty, Braveheart, Kate & Leopold, and The Steven Seagal Collection, totaling 39.10 was delivered duty free.
2. The second order of All Quiet on the Western Front [1930], Friends With Benefits, Get Shorty, The Holiday, The Truman Show, and The Vow totaling to 45.03 was delivered two weeks late and I was slapped with a duty of RS. 1565.
3. The third order consisting of Men in Black 1-3, The Girl Who... Millennium Trilogy (Extended Versions), and Schwarzenegger Collection (Total Recall/Red Heat/Raw Deal totaling 47.28 was also delivered two weeks late but I was charged Rs. 651 only as duty. As per my estimate, the duty should have been at least a 1000 more. Maybe the HM-GPO forgot the initial digit '1'. :)
4. My fourth and final order of Band Of Brothers, The Last of the Mohicans, The Longest Day, and The Untouchables is expected to be delivered on 18-Mar. It totals 40.68. Let me see what duty is charged.

So it is now pure luck, whether you'll be charged customs or not.. it seems the chances are more like 2:1 in favour of customs being charged.. I am also waiting for my shipments from AMZ,UK, expected in 3rd wk of Mar.. fingers crossed whether I will be charged the customs..

So it is now pure luck, whether you'll be charged customs or not.. it seems the chances are more like 2:1 in favour of customs being charged.. I am also waiting for my shipments from AMZ,UK, expected in 3rd wk of Mar.. fingers crossed whether I will be charged the customs..

Last order (no. 4) received today with no duty. :) :yahoo:

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Nooooooooooooo. Don't bet on it. Pune import parcels are handled by Mumbai GPO. So what holds true for Mumbai, holds true for Pune also.

A better bet would be using Amazon.com. Amazon.com collects 26% as "Import Fees deposit" on base cost + shipping. They use Aramex for shipping where parcel is entirely trackable to your door and delivery happens in 7-8 days flat. For all shipments from Amazon.com, I have been able to get the "import fees deposit" back refunded to the credit card (after 60 days from delivery date). This is because Aramex had not have to pay duty.

The only grouse I have with Amazon.com is very high base cost and very high shipping cost as well.

Specially all the boxsets are costlier in AMZ-US compared to AMZ-UK. Add to it higher shipping charges. Now I am keeping few in my wishlist which I am planning to order, only if they offers free shipping again, else will wait for any friend to visit US to pick it up for me.

Taking a cue from this thread I imported around 75 Bds from Amazon.uk in the last one year each in lot of 4 or 5 and so far no duty was charged.

I think Mumbai GPO is the only one which charges customs, all others from other cities have reported that no customs being charged by their respective GPOs.

I think Mumbai GPO is the only one which charges customs, all others from other cities have reported that no customs being charged by their respective GPOs.

Not only that, the charges are quite arbitrary and defies any formula. This can be seen from the post below.

I had 4 orders from Amazon, UK in the last 30 days.

1. The first order of American Beauty, Braveheart, Kate & Leopold, and The Steven Seagal Collection, totaling 39.10 was delivered duty free.
2. The second order of All Quiet on the Western Front [1930], Friends With Benefits, Get Shorty, The Holiday, The Truman Show, and The Vow totaling to 45.03 was delivered two weeks late and I was slapped with a duty of RS. 1565.
3. The third order consisting of Men in Black 1-3, The Girl Who... Millennium Trilogy (Extended Versions), and Schwarzenegger Collection (Total Recall/Red Heat/Raw Deal totaling 47.28 was also delivered two weeks late but I was charged Rs. 651 only as duty. As per my estimate, the duty should have been at least a 1000 more. Maybe the HM-GPO forgot the initial digit '1'. :)
4. My fourth and final order of Band Of Brothers, The Last of the Mohicans, The Longest Day, and The Untouchables is expected to be delivered on 18-Mar. It totals 40.68. Let me see what duty is charged.

Last order (no. 4) received today with no duty. :) :yahoo:

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Zavvi & TheHUT both charges about 9.99 GBP for most deliveries, but once the price of product crosses around 20 or 25GBP the delivery charges also goes up to 21 GBP or so.. I think they have a weird logic.

But the good thing is that you can order any number of movies considering that courier charges are flat.

Zavvi and TheHut both are operated by TheHut only.

They are charging 9.99 GBP flat for delivery to India.
but once the price of product crosses around 20 or 25GBP the delivery charges also goes up to 21 GBP or so.. I think they have a weird logic.
I do not think this is the case. I have pre-ordered some steelbooks. Total is going to 34 GBP. But I am only charged 9.99 GBP for shipping.

Only weird issue is, That delivery option is "International Tracked deliver - 4 to 9 days". And Once you receive tracking number, which will only be there in dispatch email that you receive, you actually cannot track it. I have had 2 orders with them till now, shipped. Both time tracking number is in format of "MHI-XXX-XXXXXXXX". But I am unable to track it.

I don't think that delivery rate of 9.99 is static. Though the website does not say so, logic says that for a large/heavy package, the shipping charges are bound to be more. The web site says:

Cost (from**)

**International Tracked delivery charges are individually calculated based on size, weight and destination country.

Zavvi.com is quoting 7.99 for shipping to India. Refer my link above.

Try adding something like "Clint Eastwood 35 films in 35 years" boxset worth 40 GBP, and the shipping goes up to 21.99 GBP. I don't know what is the reason? May be they classifies some of these boxsets as big in volume and weight and charges more accordingly. But the best is that you order I think any number regular Movies with a flat shipping charges of 9.99 GBP. Once in fact I got a quote of standard shipping of 0.99 GBP for a order of multiple movies, which I think quoted by mistake as they don't have 0.99 GBP shipping as of now.

I don't think that delivery rate of 9.99 is static. Though the website does not say so, logic says that for a large/heavy package, the shipping charges are bound to be more. The web site says:
Zavvi.com is quoting 7.99 for shipping to India. Refer my link above.

Already know. I also am not sure how they are charging 9.99. Plus it's for tracked delivery. And I am never able to track it. Or atleast I do not know how to track it.

Try adding something like "Clint Eastwood 35 films in 35 years" boxset worth 40 GBP, and the shipping goes up to 21.99 GBP. I don't know what is the reason? May be they classifies some of these boxsets as big in volume and weight and charges more accordingly. But the best is that you order I think any number regular Movies with a flat shipping charges of 9.99 GBP. Once in fact I got a quote of standard shipping of 0.99 GBP for a order of multiple movies, which I think quoted by mistake as they don't have 0.99 GBP shipping as of now.

I also got a quote of 0.99 when I first time shopped from thehut.
But now it looks like it's 9.99 only.

This order contains 2 steelbooks.
temp1h.png

This order contains 1 steelbook.
temp2o.png

Above 2 are already placed orders. Black hawk down is already shipped.

Just tried adding multiple steelbooks. But shipping is still coming to 9.99 only. Strange indeed for me.
temp3e.png

Wanted to update you about my order in Dec'12, which was delivered in 3 shipments, 2 by Aramex and 1 by DHL in Mid Jan'13. I had a customs receipt from the delivery by DHL, but despite my request for any customs receipt from Aramex, I was provided with none, so I have assumed that they have not paid any customs. Normally, within 60 days Amazon-US processes any refund of import fee, but as I have not received any information of the same, I requested customer care, and look at the prompt response, that they are offering to refund the entire import fee (including for the small amount DHL paid for one BD) for whole order and already they have begun the process which already reflecting in my Amazon-US account. This is too good to believe. Kudos to them. Now I understand why all over the world people swear by them on the customer care front.:clapping::clapping:

Anyway, I have again reminded them that my request was excluding the delivery thru DHL.

Wanted to update you about my order in Dec'12, which was delivered in 3 shipments, 2 by Aramex and 1 by DHL in Mid Jan'13. I had a customs receipt from the delivery by DHL, but despite my request for any customs receipt from Aramex, I was provided with none, so I have assumed that they have not paid any customs. Normally, within 60 days Amazon-US processes any refund of import fee, but as I have not received any information of the same, I requested customer care, and look at the prompt response, that they are offering to refund the entire import fee (including for the small amount DHL paid for one BD) for whole order and already they have begun the process which already reflecting in my Amazon-US account. This is too good to believe. Kudos to them. Now I understand why all over the world people swear by them on the customer care front.:clapping::clapping:

Anyway, I have again reminded them that my request was excluding the delivery thru DHL.
In my case, I make a note of all Aramex tracking numbers. The tracking numbers are lost on Amazon.com after certain period. I call them and verify with them whether customs duty was paid or not. They can find this out from their systems using the Aramex tracking number. Once confirmed that Aramex did not have to pay customs duty, I contact Amazon for refund.

In my case, I make a note of all Aramex tracking numbers. The tracking numbers are lost on Amazon.com after certain period. I call them and verify with them whether customs duty was paid or not. They can find this out from their systems using the Aramex tracking number. Once confirmed that Aramex did not have to pay customs duty, I contact Amazon for refund.

I also did the same, 2-3 times asked Aramex for any customs receipt against my deliveries within a week or so. They never confirmed me and told me that they will come back to me once it is updated. Considering that now it is more than 2 months I think it is time they should give me a clear picture. Hence reached Amazon, and they agreed to refund.

DHL provided me immediately. So no complaints.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back