Quest to build a best possible sub in a budget.

That is one mother load of a subwoofer. What's R Pole? Heard of dipole and bipole's . Gotta give it to you at trying various designs. Is the amplifier powerful enough to drive them together? Just wondering.

The amp is made by our @Aniket it is driving those subs to full Xmax with ease. :D
The following is some reference to RIPOLE subs.

After break in for 50-100 hrs they will be different animal. Will do all the boxed subs do and much more. With H frame bass I personally understood, musicality does not end with midrange till 150hz but extends down to well under 40hz and way down to even 35hz in my setup.

It’s NOT just not all about rumble and making your neighbors know under 40hz or even 30hz, but it’s “musical bass”, The true concert level bass !

And there is absolutely “No replacement for displacement” !!!!
My Ahujas roll off around 90-100Hz. But with H frame, I felt the same Ahuja extended down to 40Hz seamlessly. With ported sub this didn't happen quite well. There was a feel of mismatch in sound signature.

So with H frame, musicality extended down and integration is very nice. I enjoyed some songs repeatedly since they sounded nice and realistic. :D :D

Thanks again for all the help Yogibear !!!! I'm glad that I tried these.

That's looking like a beast !!!
I can imagine what it can do:D:D

If I continue in this path, may the this is the only logical step ahead for me as well..... Only in terms of space I have to think.

Great going Naveen ! I am glad it finally clicked for you.

Guess what dual driver H frame will do !!!! Will make any sub redundant and make it go back to storage .... Just one experimental dual driver H frame takes me to another world !!! And it’s getting better day by day. Incredible beyond belief. I can’t imagine what properly built two sets will do....

View attachment 38532
I can feel the vibrations on the side walls and top and bottom walls. I'm not sure if it colours the bass. Il make the driver mounting baffle with double layer ply or mdf.

Do you think bracing needed for side and top and bottom walls ???

Hi guys ... I made a ported sub with dual 12" drivers recently. In this build I focused on better bracing compared to my previous builds. And used britch ply.

This has F3 around 31Hz, F6 around 27Hz and F10 around 22Hz.

With 400w power it is expected to deliver 114db@31Hz, 111db@27Hz and 106db@22 hz.

These are all estimations, and real life performance has to be measured.

Screenshot_2019-11-13-10-31-22-141_com.miui.gallery.jpg
IMG_20191113_102050.jpg
IMG_20191113_102030.jpg
IMG_20191113_101951.jpg

Hi guys ... I made a ported sub with dual 12" drivers recently. In this build I focused on better bracing compared to my previous builds. And used britch ply.

Vow.. Great DIY effort.. Looks monstrous.. Are you able to move the enclosure, to me seems it should be very heavy.. Should be even heavier with drivers..

Vow.. Great DIY effort.. Looks monstrous.. Are you able to move the enclosure, to me seems it should be very heavy.. Should be even heavier with drivers..
It is heavy in general, but may not be as heavy as it is supposed to be. Because Britch ply is strong, but light weight compared to normal ply.

With 400w power it is expected to deliver 114db@31Hz, 111db@27Hz and 106db@22 hz.

View attachment 41175
View attachment 41176
View attachment 41177
View attachment 41178
Looks very well built. Are you using router for these cuts? They are quite neat.

Congratulations on your builds.

I've listened to one DIY Tham 15 (single driver single sub) in one setup and in another setup, dual 15" Eminance 15a (dual drivers dual subs - total 4 15" drivers in H frame). The latter was powered by pro audio 1000wpc amps. The ob sounded nicer to me.

Right now I'm working on dual 10" dual subs (total 4 drivers) in a TL configuration. Waiting for the results.

Congratulations on your builds.

I've listened to one DIY Tham 15 (single driver single sub) in one setup and in another setup, dual 15" Eminance 15a (dual drivers dual subs - total 4 15" drivers in H frame). The latter was powered by pro audio 1000wpc amps. The ob sounded nicer to me.

Right now I'm working on dual 10" dual subs (total 4 drivers) in a TL configuration. Waiting for the results.
4 drivers in TL sounds pretty exciting ...please share us as soon as you complete... Very eager to see !!!!

N

View attachment 41175
View attachment 41176
View attachment 41177
View attachment 41178
Nice going naveenbnc. Do post pic and reviews on once completed

This is how it looks .....
Damping material is undesided as of now, and waiting for a foam tape. So screws are not mounted yet. I just keept like this, and played at moderate volume, and movies are awesome already. Bass is tight for action scenes. But it's too early to judge, I can't play it loud enough because the drivers are jumping.

It's huge but I'm loving the looks.

IMG_20191114_222420.jpg

This is nothing new or improvement compared to my earlier attempts.
But I'm struck in my hometown due to covid.
I need some basic setup till I go back to Hyderabad. This time I don't want to spend money on expensive drivers because few drivers are already lying unused in Hyderabad. So this is kind of repetetion in low budget. I chose INFINITY PRIMUS 1270 driver for 4k. Amp is a budget model available in Amazon for around 5k. This is a ported sub with lesser depth so that I can place under my cot. MDF and CNC another 3-4k.

IMG_20201107_150329.jpg

IMG_20201107_150722.jpg

A very small suggestion for new diy enthusiasts. Building a sub is only 50% job done. The remaining 50% focus to be given to acoustics, measurements, EQ etc. Without this, the chances of getting good bass are slim. (If u r lucky it's well and good) Ofcourse this is well known, and said again and again in this forum. But still it's worth saying once more !!!!

This is nothing new or improvement compared to my earlier attempts.
But I'm struck in my hometown due to covid.
I need some basic setup till I go back to Hyderabad. This time I don't want to spend money on expensive drivers because few drivers are already lying unused in Hyderabad. So this is kind of repetetion in low budget. I chose INFINITY PRIMUS 1270 driver for 4k. Amp is a budget model available in Amazon for around 5k. This is a ported sub with lesser depth so that I can place under my cot. MDF and CNC another 3-4k.

View attachment 51768

View attachment 51769

After series of testing with movie scenes, I liked this sub as sealed. So I closed the port.
Attached measurements of sealed sub @ listening position for info. There are huge peaks and dips.
With Eq I could get near flat response from around around 45hz to 100hz.
Now 45hz doesn't seem impressive on paper, but this response is @100 DB SPL near flat.
There is a dip near 73hz due to my room and placement constraints.
Even though the sub rolls off around 45hz, there is huge tactile feel, and its very tight without any boomy feel.
The reason for tactile bass could be the sub is kept directly below the bed. Room size is quite small,13x10x10 and smaller rooms have more issues in low frequencies. But with proper EQ, this budget driver at 4k works awesome for movies. EQ and placement is the key though. In a different room and different placement this may behave totally different. Ported gives some more low end extension, but I didn't like it much.

RAW MEASUREMENT.jpg
UNDER BED6 SEALED.jpg

infinity primus 1270 sub.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys that's a U frame sub with dual 12" drivers. This is more like a time pass build, not with any specific purpose. I just built if for fun. Later I added side walls in the front side also and converted to H frame. I don't have pics though....

I felt the bass is cleaner, but there is a possibility that I'm subjectively biased too !! However it is said that dipoles excite lesser room modes compared to box subs. Anyway, it's just fun trying it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220804_191608.jpg
    IMG_20220804_191608.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 11
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back