Question on Blue Ray movies ripped in DVD's

tellranga

Nowadays it is very frequent to see shops selling Blue Ray movies ripped in DVD's. They should have compressed the 16 GB / 30 GB movie to 4.5 GB DVD's. Which means there will be a compromise in the SQ quality for sure.

In orginal Blue ray movies, we will have DTS-HD Master Audio / Dolby TrueHD to engage the Surround back left & Surround back right speakers in 7.1 setup.

My question is in such Blue Ray movies ripped in DVD's,
  1. will there be no DTS-HD Master Audio / Dolby TrueHD at all or
  2. there will be DTS-HD Master Audio / Dolby TrueHD with a compromise in SQ

As of now I dont have any intentions to buy neither orginal Blue Ray movies nor the Blue Ray Player.
So curious to know whether my 7.1 setup decision (after buying Onkyo 6200)is worth or not (against 5.1 setup).

Last edited:
My question is in such Blue Ray movies ripped in DVD's,
  1. will there be no DTS-HD Master Audio / Dolby TrueHD at all or
  2. there will be DTS-HD Master Audio / Dolby TrueHD with a compromise in SQ

All Blu-Rays come with two audio codecs - one is the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD and a equivalent standard Dolby or DTS codec. So when you transfer a Blu-ray into a regular DVD what us transferred is the standard Dolby or DTS codec. The HD codecs are not transferred.

Cheers

AFAIK, DD/DTS-HD doesn't automatically mean 7.1 and DD/DTS doesn't mean 5.1 only. The difference between HD and non-HD audio is in the compression (or lack of it) and not in # of channels.

However, again AFAIK, well mastered 7.1 audio is hardly seen on BD/DVDs today, but we might see improvement going forward.

AFAIK, DD/DTS-HD doesn't automatically mean 7.1 and DD/DTS doesn't mean 5.1 only. The difference between HD and non-HD audio is in the compression (or lack of it) and not in # of channels.
I never knew that 7.1 track can be recorded in non-HD DD/DTS (though it is not seen in the market).
Hope it comes in the future ...

I did this test some months back. Venkat has already replied from audio perspective. There are two types of BR rips, one which comes in 4 gb disks and others that come in dual layer dvd.

The dual layer have excellent PQ compared to the original DVD. I have the original Kill Bill and bought a BR dual layer of kill bill and compared, the BR dual layer was much better in PQ and SQ

I never knew that 7.1 track can be recorded in non-HD DD/DTS (though it is not seen in the market).
Hope it comes in the future ...

My bad, it is only max of 6.1 that is available in SD/DVD audio, which is then multiplexed into 7.1 by the AVRs...

Spiro - I have the LOTR extended version set, it has 6.1 only.

I believe ripping is not declared illegal here or anywhere:) Discussion of downloading of torrents/links is banned...

If ripping is illegal we should ban on discussing the media players also / It is played only by rips:)

Trust i am clear...

Regards

As long the thread is more for knowledge to understand how good the quality is for a BD Rip, its fine. The moment it goes to suggest buying options for BR Rip DVDs it violates our policy.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back